Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steering damper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 9:30am
rocnroll & long_range,

Exactly my point! I know that these did not come factory equipped on the vehicle but apparently there was a reason to design something to help out with the issue. 
I just thought I would bring this up because this thread was kind of implying to not use these and if there was anyone out there that enjoys wheeling as much as we do and they have a manual steering rig and not aware of how this steering could respond under treacherous terrain, I just wanted to offer some helpful advise. 
Our 47 CJ2A had one of these “aftermarket band aides” on it when I inherited it from my folks because they loved taking this jeep out wheeling on their camping trips. I started to put it back on the jeep during my restoration of it, but being the fact that I really don’t want to take it out and pinstripe it before I hand it down to my son. Think you can see in the photo that I took it back off (just need to remove the brackets and touch up the paint where the mounts are). My wife has nick named her the “Mistress” because she says I spend more time with it than I do with her…. lol.
Just plan on taking this around town and to car shows because we have another rig to take out on the trails. 

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 9:57am
I wasn't "implying" anything, and certainly did not intend anyone to take what I said personally.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with having a damper, if you want one use one.

My preference of putting everything back to right with stock components, and not using one is what I do with my Jeeps, none of my business what you do with yours. 

I don't do any rock crawling or hard trail riding but do go over some rocks in the streams I cross, and there are a lot of pot holes in the mountain roads I drive. Yes the steering wheel can jerk you around pretty good, so it is best to always hold the wheel so it can slip through your hands without your thumbs getting tangled in the spokes.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Dan R. Dan R. wrote:

I just thought I would bring this up because this thread was kind of implying to not use these 

I knew what you were trying to say but I also realized you are a pretty new poster so didn't know how much you had read before you joined.

Over the years this has come up pretty often and generally its answered with a "check this, check that" kind of answer....it gets posted over and over so becomes the 'go to' answer.

I just wanted to agree that yes, there could be a benefit to those projects that are outside the jurisdiction of the Jeep Police.

Also, anybody that has driven an old tractor knew what you were saying.

Welcome to the Page. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12