Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Gear Reassembly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Gear Reassembly
    Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 7:48pm
Need help. Reinstalling steering gear and drag link in my 47. I rebuilt the Ross box with a kit I'm sure from Crown - Sector shaft, bushings and seal. Just installed the steering column and temporarily installed the steering wheel to check center when turning wheel lock to lock. I get almost 4 full turns lock to lock. So I backed off almost 2 turns to locate "center" on the sector shaft. There is a hash mark on the end of the sector shaft and "at center" the hash mark is now in the 10:30 or 1:30 position - depending on how you look at it. I thought the has mark should be vertical to line up the steering gear arm. Or do you just line up the ball on the steering gear arm with the hash and call it good? My old steering gear arm ball was worn out, so I'm installing a new one too. What am I doing wrong or not understanding? Thanks, John
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 8:47pm
I think the original arm was marked to mate the shaft, but I think just installed the drag link get the wheels straight and put the arm on the shaft.
BOULDER 48 2A
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 10:34pm
Thanks Terry - after reading the service manual again, I decided to go your route. Here is what I did - if anyone thinks this is wrong, please let me know.
Centered the steering wheel without the steering gear arm attached. Then with wheels straight ahead, I attached the drag link to the bell crank. Then I attached the steering gear arm only to the back of the drag link. I adjusted the steering gear arm to go on the splines of the sector shaft. Everything seems to line up and is tight. I found out with the drag link installed the steering wheel does not go 4 turns lock to lock. Sometimes I can make the simple complicated!

Edited by JohnB - 14 Jan. 2020 at 10:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply