Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sticker shock..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 11:10pm
I just want to make mine reliable and safe for local pavement putts. It will never reach the high lofty status of trailer queen. I bought it blind, a craigslist ad 300 miles away. And no nothing of these old timers. As many of you pointed out things to me, replacement tub, hood etc, I am getting educated. Its all good, its rust and dent free but has its clinks and clunks. I will get it squared away. Frankly, I luv this little thing. 

Glenn
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 11:16pm
Ah, sounds familiar. You may find you want a little more capability. Then you try more and the next thing you know you are into a Lot more. No matter how it comes out, they are a lot of fun and worth every dollar. Thanks for joining the keep the old ones alive fraternity. It's a good one.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 11:46pm
As an example I built a 1971 Dana 44 30 spline flanged rear axle from a CJ-5/6 I paid $140 for the housing two axle shafts and the rear cover.

Eaton E Locker $$950
G2 5.38 ring and pinion $203
G2 Install Kit $128.00
SKF Axle bearings and Seals $50
Pinion Yoke $44
Machine shop $40 (pressing on bearings and retainers)

Misc. (paint, gasket compound) 25.00

Labor for Gear set up $250

So before the 11" brakes I have $1440. in just a rear axle.

It adds up fast.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 12:52am
On mine the motor, transmission, transfer case was done by the previous owner not that long ago but as someone else said....new springs, shackles, ujoints, greases, ubolts, brake lines, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, peddles, covers, entire body, tires, rims and all the small details to make it look good and drive good.  It does take long.  The wife was not extremely happy.....but I would do it all the same way again.  

In fact I have to because of all the other parts I still have left over with nothing to do with them but put them back together and get another jeep out of the deal.   Maybe this one will be the beater jeep?  Thumbs Up
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 1:09am
I am in the process of building a small block Mopar.....The Jeep was/is cheap. Thats all I have to say about that.Shocked
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 3:09am
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Honestly, I'm a little shocked at some of the numbers people are posting here.  I can't even get to $5 grand.  And it's not like I bought a show jeep to begin with.  I paid $1,500.00 for it back in 2010.

Based on my very informal survey, you got lucky.  

I suppose that's possible.  

I'm also trying to make a point.  You don't need TeraLow gears, custom drive shafts, lockers, suspension upgrades, engine upgrades, electronic ignitions, disc brakes, thousands of dollars worth of custom paint, steering upgrades, etc...to have a fun reliable Willys Jeep to roll around in.  If you feel it necessary to spend 10s of thousands of dollars to turn it into a more capable, safe, comfortable vehicle, then why not just buy a Razor or a modern Jeep?  The "cool factor" for me is that it is an incredible, highly advanced vehicle with technology that was available in the '40s.  And, it can be brought back to life 70 + years later to still be enjoyed.

Additionally, I don't want to scare folks off from rescuing these old Jeeps.  Some might see a thread like this and it might make them think twice before pulling an old project Jeep out of the woods.  

So, this was my $1,500.00 Craigslist purchase.  It ran, but needed lots of love.

And 2 years later, this is what I turned it into for around $5,000.00

It's perfectly capable around town, and on the many mountain trails of Colorado and South Dakota.  It has no technology that wasn't available in 1949...and I absolutely love it for everything that it is...and everything that it is not.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 3:46am
Your M-38 copy is a truly nice Jeep, Tim!  Even the radiator cap is nice!  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 4:27am
There is a story about that radiator cap.  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 4:58am
Scares me. I paid as much for my motorhome as I paid for my house. Nowhere near what I have paid for a Jeep.
uncamonkey
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 5:19am
Yes, many in our rouge trail group know it to be a "Magic" radiator cap.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 6:25am
I started with a $500 1952 M-38.  Now I have $5000 in a usable, street legal and trail ready Jeep.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
bverboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bverboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 12:24pm
1500$....  I just want mine to run..
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 12:32pm
started with $1000 jeep and a free rolling chassis. Sold the tires for $400 and the rest is history.

$8500 ish and two years worth of labor I had this. I think that's money well spent. The cheap starters are still out there. It all depends how far you want to go. I could have easily had a driving fun Jeep for $2500 maybe $3000. I just went further than i initially planned. 

There was still a lot of horse trading, scrounging and cheap parts salvaging on my build. That's half the fun. If I just opened the check book it would have been far more expensive. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Be smart. I have less than $4.000 in 2 jeeps. Both have V6s and both have upgraded brakes and both have winches. You can find them.

Unkamonkey....you are my hero

I gotta figure out how to do this...I am into my current rig over $3500.00 into this just one...I doubt I will see anything even close to this when I sell it...pretty sad too...

My last 4 Jeeps I have had I typically lose at least 40% on the sale over the cost of what I spent on it...it is insane for sure...I should have invested that money as my financial guy told me too...

They look so damn cool in the ads tho...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 5:31pm
I'm not sure how smart I am. I may have been a bit DK when I bought the Commando.
It was an interesting bunch of women there. The types that would have had a pack of cigarettes rolled up in a shirt sleeve.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 6:10pm
These little critters are nothing. 
My BIL’s new girlfriend wanted to show me pictures of her son’s JK. (“Oh he’s a jeeper too!”) After I told her flat-out that I was not interested she showed them to me anyway. She said that he had $85,000 invested (?!) in it, not including the original purchase price new. Shocked    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 6:48pm
Good to hear from you. It's been a while. I cannot add up what I have spent on vehicles. Much less than that. It is more than I spent for my house and my motorhome.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

She said that he had $85,000 invested (?!) in it, not including the original purchase price new.

I thought it was bad when I paid $13,500 for my YJ brand new in '89.  I'm still driving it so I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it.  I might have $3500 in Ol' Unreliable, if I count everything, including the overdrive and the T-98 I haven't installed yet.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>