Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stolen catalytic converter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stolen catalytic converter
    Posted: 05 Mar. 2021 at 2:56am
the news is now covering this matter.

i live in rural maine, not much going on except... catalytic converter theft.

last week, i walk out through the snow to start my 2001 Tacoma hoping to drive it to pick up some Jeep axles from a forum member. i commence to turning the key to be provided with a hearing loss from an explosive, continuous rumble. i climb out, thinking i have a rust thru and in my groggy, ear-ringing state, i see, no, don't see, parts. and then i see cut off parts. wtf?

Edited by bight - 05 Mar. 2021 at 2:57am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2021 at 3:09am
Are you sure you didn't have it out, just playing with it, and simply forget where you put it?

(I F'g hate thieves Angry )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 1:28pm
People who steal converters really suck. They might get a couple hundred bucks but it costs $1000 to fix
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 2:21pm
Years ago it was a problem but it sees to be happening again. WTH, when I used to work in downtown Denver it was the deed to hand out  pocket hange to the destitute.
john
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

People who steal converters really suck. They might get a couple hundred bucks but it costs $1000 to fix

It’s surely not new. I’ve seen many cases where a window was broken and a dash destroyed to the tune of several thousand dollars worth of damage for a stereo that will bring ten bucks at the pawn shop. I won’t tell you what I think should happen to these guys. I might offend someone. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 3:11pm
$4500.00 to replace genuine toyota system. and it DOES require entire system replacement. they hacked lots in both directions of both cat units.

how much are they getting from the criminal scrap dealer?
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 3:18pm
Recently some work truck parked by one of the piers had their converters stolen as well. Some humans suck big time.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I won’t tell you what I think should happen to these guys. I might offend someone. 
BW 

Having my girlfriends Liberty broken into twice ( Once in Ohio and once out here) and someone helping themselves to somethings in my 2A and the scumbag that stole 10 batteries from the schools auto program vehicles I work at, I won't be offended at all.
Ford GP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford GP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 3:46pm
Beyond the lowlifes doing the stealing, obviously the scrap dealers are simply unablle to police themselves so additional policing must be done.  I have suggested serial numbering and titling  converters and only purchased by scrap dealers with said title.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 5:05pm
My local scrap dealer (Commercial Metals...NYSE ticker symbol CMC), who is very aware of the theft situation, requires two forms of identification (one a photo ID or driver's license) and a bill or invoice with your name and address on it matching BOTH forms of identification. If you only have one form of identification, a letter from the local police or sheriff's department stating that they know who you are and where you live will substitute for one of the IDs.

They just don't buy scrap from anyone...If all scrap yards did this, maybe the problem wouldn't be so prevalent.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 6:42pm
  Around here, if you try to sell more than just few irrigation siphon tubes (aluminum), you’ve got to have a drivers license or state-issued photo ID and a bill of sale from a farmer or an auction house. 
BW 

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 8:40pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 9:52pm
I read where a guy was walking across the parking lot for work and saw 2 legs sticking out from under a company car. apparently he was using a jack that failed and left him and his hacksaw under the car to suffocate till d-e-a-d. I laffed my a$$ off..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 11:35pm
I saw that story too. I'm a proponent of Darwinism. If you are that stupid, we don't need you watering down the gene pool. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

I saw that story too. I'm a proponent of Darwinism. If you are that stupid, we don't need you watering down the gene pool. 

Micah

D-Bag got his "deserves"..Thumbs Up
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2021 at 12:29am
  A friend showed up for work one day and found a shop with no electricity. A quick check of the breaker panel showed nothing. An electrician was called and two copper thieves were found fried on the roof. Good for them. Happens occasionally at sprinkler pivots as well. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 20 Mar. 2021 at 12:30am

uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2021 at 1:19am
I have a dislike about liars and thieves. Unfortnatly it comes in many forms in our world.
john
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2021 at 5:21am
I think I just described my brother.
john
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>