Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange motor Serial no.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange motor Serial no.
    Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 1:48am
My VEC 1946 CJ2a has a strange number ? on the above the water pump boss. (square ended). Doesn't even look stamped? Or barely stamped. Mostly gone. Starts with 4S..... 
Replacement motor? 134L, the head does not have "Willys Jeep" cast on top like most do. The bolt T-stat.

VIN 19886. Block 641087. Non runner yet. Sorting it out.
Another question: It has been converted to 12V, looks like 6V starter and i know that is OK, but looks like the original 6V generator which is wired to a 12V regulator. Has the ballast resistor and 12V bulbs. i believe it was running like that 30 years ago. So how is a 6V gen able to be suffice?

I will be testing starter and checking compression soon. No electrical or rad or belts or carb hooked up for that.
Pistons have been soaked. 

Questions in RED

Thank you

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 22 Jan. 2023 at 2:33am
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 3:39am
Can you upload related engine and generator pics ?
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 3:42am
Sure, I will do that tomorrow. thanks
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 3:45am
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 8:06am
Most likely an engine from a wagon....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 6:44pm

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 22 Jan. 2023 at 7:30pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 6:55pm
  I agree with lowenuff. A replacement engine would have a number starting with 4LR. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 2:55am
What makes you think that the generator is not a 12 volt one? They look the same to an untrained eye. The part & model numbers will tell the tale.

I have tried to drag 12 volts out of a 6 volt generator by just using a 12 volt regulator. The generator gets hot fast! IME, & IMHO, that is not a working solution to getting a proper generator. There is no way that it will last thirty years. I doubt that it would last thirty minutes. It did last two minutes, but man was it HOT! Second degree burns hot.

You can drag eight volts from a six volt generator by bumping up the six volt regulator & it will last thirty years. I have done that.

X3 On the engine probably being from a wagon, or maybe from a pickup.

SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 3:43am
I definitely have an untrained eye. I had already searched the internet and didn't find a 12V generator that looked the same. If I don't find numbers on it, I will run it and meter it.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 5:38am
The pulley is off of the original six volt generator. Other then that, it looks much like the twelve volt generators that on my kins 1950s & 60s Ford, Nash, Rambler, & Pontiac cars. IIRC, Willys twelve volt generators looked much like that one.
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 6:47pm
Found this discussion on here back in 2016 regarding 4S.........   serno. No outcome. Maybe ATHAWK11 has the answer on mine. 

PumpStationCJ2A:
'I picked up a basket case L134 bare block and what looks like most of the parts to go with it plus some extras. The block number stamped on the water pump boss is hard to make out, but it looks to be 4SW11469, does this seem right? Can anyone tell me what year it is and what it came out of?"

HAWK:
"That is an unusual serial #. Can you post the casting number? Lower edge of the block on the passenger side."

HAWK did answer 4T....serno
"4T"...Its original home was a 4 wheel drive Truck. It is a gear drive.

The serial # for your other engine may have been machined off during a rebuild. If the engine is very early, you might find it on the top edge of block, just in front of the oil fill tube, hidden behind the oil filter canister...if equipped.

Hawk"

I PM'ed Him

Thank you Logger for that info.

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 23 Jan. 2023 at 6:54pm
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 5:48pm
Generator end cap is stamped GCW 2 A   ???????
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 8:36pm
Head No., on what I call my 46 VEC, is 689660C  (the 8 may be a goofed up 3)
                                                           W2

Manifold transition piece below carb stamped  GPW 9430  2
Below that number is a unknown symbol/logo/letter  .... in cursive?

Any info on those numbers is appreciated. 

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 31 Jan. 2023 at 8:43pm
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2023 at 7:09am
The unknown letter symbol in cursive is a script F.  The GPW and script F parts are WWII Ford.
 Post Reply Post Reply