Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Thermostat Behavior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Thermostat Behavior
    Posted: 03 June 2018 at 11:16am
When I start the Willys after sitting overnight, the thermostat runs up to about 215 degrees, then after the thermostat opens up the temp gauge drops and it runs consistently between 160 and 170 degrees for the rest of the day.  It did this on the old thermostat as well as the new one.  It sits at 215 degrees for only a moment but this seems pretty hot for the motor.  Any ideas on why this happens and how to fix it?    
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:27pm
Do you have the 1/8" relief hole drilled in the base of the thermostat? Could you have the thermostat installed backwards?
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 1:00am
yes sounds like its in backwards or its sticky but if your previous thermostat did the same thing i would suspect backwards
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 10:28am
It does have the relief hole.  I'll check on orientation later today. 
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 1:49pm
Checked out the thermostat and it is installed pointy side up, flat side (with temp rating on brass plunger) pointing down.  However I did not see the 1/8" relief hole in the base.  Whereabouts should it be located?  
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 2:01pm
If you've got the housing open and have access to the thermostat, it may be a good idea to test the opening temp to see if its sticking.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 2:42pm
Thanks.  I'll check the opening temp later.  I was looking at some thermostat photos and noticed that some have the base of the thermostat on top of the metal sleeve inside the cast housing.  My thermostat base was sitting on the block.  But I also saw some photos with the thermostat the way I had it installed.  Which is correct?
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 3:48pm
Tested the thermostat and it began to open at 170 degrees, fully open at 190 degrees.  Seems high for a 160 degree thermostat.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 3:54pm
John, it sounds like you have it upside down. So the temperature sensing part of the thermostat would be above the opening valve, and therefore isolated from the hot water. This would cause the water to get way too hot before the valve opens. 

Turn it other way round and you should be good. The brass flange with the flap valve in it should be at the top, with the retainer underneath, holding the assembly up in position. 
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 3:59pm
Just to be clear, the thermostat sits on top of the metal sleeve inside the cast iron cover.  The brass plunger with the temperature stamped into it should be pointed toward the block. 
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
 Post Reply Post Reply