Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuck shackle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck shackle
    Posted: 18 June 2019 at 3:48am
I'm replacing my front springs and knew I was going to be in for a challenge when I saw this:

The lower arm of the c-shackle was welded onto a large washer. Out came the grinder that made quick work of it. Then I went to put a wrench on the top and it was frozen solid. Out came the large breaker bar and nothing. I assumed this one might have been welded too. Unfortunately the grinder was too handy and I was too impatient. I ground off the exposed nut thinking I'd punch it through. However, in the moment I forgot that it is threaded into the bracket. Now I am left with this. 

Please excuse the rotated photo. I was able to unthread the c -shackle from the center but now I have the outer shell frozen to the bracket. Any ideas on how to remove it before I mess this up even more?

I've considered a hacksaw blade through the inside, cutting through in a few spots and then trying to collapse it in with a punch. 

I think the diameter is too large to drill it out and I'm not sure I could salvage the threads.

redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 4:04am
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 4:08am
There might be a better way,  but if me, ->  I would thread the cut piece of C-shackle back into that bushing about half way,  weld the shackle to bushing,  then back the "assembly" out.   If the heat of welding does not break the bond between bushing and frame,  then maybe some penetrating oil would help.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 2:39pm
The shackle bushings need to be able to pivot so the shackle will work as designed.  I was lucky and got my trailer shackles off with an impact wrench and lots of penetrant.

There are many threads describing "how to" when welding a nut on to a broken bolt/stud.  I would definitely try that.   Heat and shock along with penetrant should break this loose.

Be mindful the original shackles have left hand on left front and right rear.  The bushing heads and the shackle itself is marked as well, but those are removed now.  This is all in the S section in the Service Manual.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 9:05pm
Thanks for the replies.  I messed with it a little more today and I don't think I can get it out and still have the threads intact. I might just cut out the bushing and weld in a new one. Thanks for the link redrunner. Should be easier then messing with the rivets to replace the whole bracket. This will also give me an opportunity to try out my new welder. 
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 10:53pm
Aren't some of those left hand thread???
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 12:06am
I believe that the left hand thread ones are only on 2 corners and only on the leg that goes into the leaf spring. So the brackets are all right hand thread. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 7:04pm
I have a vague memory from 41 years ago that some of those bushings do have left-hand threads.  I remember that I tightened them down too much and years later I couldn't get them loose when I wanted to.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
vidaliaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidaliaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 10:18pm
just replaced my rears, yes half of the shackle is reverse threaded

dave
 Post Reply Post Reply