Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"submersible" jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "submersible" jeep
    Posted: 03 Nov. 2006 at 10:56pm
I just found out today that a friend of mine actually drove one of those snorkel jeeps underwater on a training mission in Korea in the late 50's or early 60's.  Anyone want to ask a question about this experience that I can pass on to him.  He was not at all thrilled about the event, and suggested that the rig did not drive well at all under water.

del clear
del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
64ragtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64ragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2006 at 11:26pm
But it worked ok for the "Bluesmobile" in the movie The Blues Brothers"!!!  Maybe the flatfender just didn't have the streamlining of that big MOPAR? 

Silliness aside, I've been fascinated by that idea since I first encountered it.  I think it was a book on military vehicles in my hometown library.  My recollection is that it was right next to the Jeep with the 105MM recoilless rifle.

BC

Edited by 64ragtop - 03 Nov. 2006 at 11:29pm
If it aint broke, fix it 'til it is! (or YOU are)
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2006 at 11:30pm
It sounds very interesting, but I'm not sure what to even ask.

Was the water cold? I've been playing with mil trucks for a while, so sorta well informned on how the set-up works. Just always looks cold when then go under.

I can't believe he didn't offer the girls a ride...how rude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv2kgsf0l-A
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2006 at 12:46am
Originally posted by dclear dclear wrote:

I just found out today that a friend of mine actually drove one of those snorkel jeeps underwater on a training mission in Korea in the late 50's or early 60's.  Anyone want to ask a question about this experience that I can pass on to him.  He was not at all thrilled about the event, and suggested that the rig did not drive well at all under water.

del clear

Does he remember what kind of Jeep it was? Are there any photos?

Thanks,
Bob W
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2006 at 11:55am
It's Korea. The water was probably freezing. No wonder he wasn't too hot about the idea.
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2006 at 9:12am
Dad tells me stories about when he used to drive them while he was in the gaurds back in the late 50's-early 60's. He said they still had a few M38's but mostly M38A1's. He gets after me when I go mudding, says that was ok doing it for Uncle Sam, but if he had to pay for it he wouldn't do it.LOL
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

Post Reply Post Reply