Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suspension Upgrade - Very pleased with result

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension Upgrade - Very pleased with result
    Posted: 31 May 2023 at 6:03pm
I had a partial knee replacement this afternoon around 1:00. It is a new style approach that very few surgeons use in this country, minimally invasive, no tendons or muscles cut.

I am very pleasantly surprised that after I got home I am already able to walk with no trouble, and almost no pain. Not much swelling, and I am even able to bend my knee 90 degrees to sit in a chair with the wrap bandage still on it.

When I had the other one done years ago it was a few months, and a lot of physical therapy before I was close to what I can do with this one same day of surgery. This one is like magic.

I suppose the risk is overdoing things because it feels better than it has felt in many years already, but I am going to be very careful not to do that during recovery.

IMHO -  Anyone with this sort of thing in their future should look into this before committing to a traditional style replacement. 

Here is the surgeon who did mine.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:05pm
Good to hear your liking it, take it easy and let things heal properly..

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:58pm
That's good news and should only get better with a little tlc.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 9:14pm
I am taking it easy. Just woke up after sleeping off the after effects of the dope they gave me, feeling a little more pain but still not as bad as it had gotten before the operation. The only complaint is I have to wear these white compression "socks" that go up to my mid thighs. 

The look of them makes me think of Benjamin Franklin.  
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 9:19pm
but supposedly ole Ben was quite the ladies man!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 9:44pm
That's great!

My wife's been trying to talk her dad into knee replacement and he won't even discuss it..

Good luck with the recovery.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:15pm
  I’ve got a friend whose new knee causes him worse pain than the old one did. The Dr. is apparently not interested in finding out why. Just keeps feeding him meds that do no good or have bad side effects. The Dr. is not VA and VA wont help, they say that the Dr. needs to fix it. 
  Another friend has been fighting infection in his new knee for over a year, and now they’re going to take the new knee out and leave him without a knee for 9 weeks or more. If they lick the infection theyll put another new knee in. 
  I can bear the pain so far, i guess I’ll keep my original knees as long as I can. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:53pm
Yeah, I feel the same way about it, and pushed it as far out as I could.

One reason I put this off as long as I could is because of the ones I know of that didn't go well. Had a long time friend who had a knee replacement, three days after the surgery he fell dead in front of his wife from a blood clot, but that could happen with any kind of surgery.

On both of my knees I went as far as I could with them. By the time I had the left one done I had wore away about 1/2" of bone, so I know about bearing pain, same with the right, it has been bone on bone for the last 3 years. Both times when it got so I could no longer do the things I wanted to do, and the things I needed to do, the choice was to either take to the rocking chair or take the risk and get something done. I am not ready for the rocking chair yet, too much left to do.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 8:58pm
New suspension on the jeep was one of the best investments I made.  Good to know it has other applications.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 10:51am
I am not a candidate for partial knee replacement, I go in for total knee replacement of both knees on Tuesday. Both knees are very bad, so decided to get both done at the same time rather than go thru it twice. Not sure what to expect, but hoping for a good outcome.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 11:53am
My wife is a PT, she sees old ladies with hip & knee replacements every day. 
 Usually they are up & hobbling around same day. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 1:10pm
Both at the same time is going to be rough in recovery, but be sure to put every bit of effort into the rehab therapy. When I had my left knee done years ago that whole leg was as big around as a telephone pole, and when I came into the rehab gym on crutches the PT said "First thing were going to do is put you on a stationary bicycle. I thought "WHAT??", but did it anyway. It hurt like heck, but I did everything they told me to do and at each session I got better and better, and went on to a full recovery with full range of motion. Years later I can't complain.

Had an aunt who had both done at the same time but foolishly refused to go to rehab therapy. Nobody could talk any sense into her. Her knees locked up and she spent the rest of her life getting around in a wheel chair. 

That good report I made on the first day was overrated. I realized the next day that the numbness had not quite worn off that day. Yesterday it hurt like HEII, but today it is feeling quite a bit better. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 02 June 2023 at 4:42pm
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 1:55pm
Yup -- DO what the PT says for best end results.

I always do, but I am married to mine.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
 Post Reply Post Reply