Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suspension: Ups and Downs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension: Ups and Downs
    Posted: 17 June 2021 at 9:58pm
I've been whittling away at parts and pieces of my 47 CJ2A and I had got to the point where I could take a look at the suspension.  The CJ tracked pretty straight and exhibited none of the Willys Wobble" that I've heard of however I noticed a couple of things that concerned me.  For one the CJ didn't sit quite level in front.  The front passenger side was typically an inch or two lower than the driver's side.  I also had a bit of rattling from the suspension.  The whole thing sometimes felt a little loose. Everything on this CJ looked like it had been abused to this point and I figured the suspension was no exception.  These rear axle nuts are a good example.  Seems a PO couldn't bust them loose.  The answer?  Split the nut, remove and then when it's time to re-assemble weld/braze those silly nutz back together.  

With this type of repair history in mind I ordered a full suspension kit from Walck's and started in on the new project.  Things got off to a slow start and before it was over I averaged a day for each corner of the CJ which included springs, shackles, shackle brackets, springs plates, shocks and related hardware. Although I used a shop manual I still had to scratch my head a few times and take apart/reassemble pieces to get it right.  Even made my own shock cotter pin assembling tool.

These pivot bolts had pretty much reached their half-life.

The bronze bushing wore out (through?) as did a couple of the spring leaf's.  I guess this could account for the CJ sitting a bit low on one side...'ya think?

This is one reason it took me a day to replace each spring assembly.

When it was all done the CJ was sitting pretty and felt great going down the road.  Now what's next?

Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 6:51am
What’s next? Show us a picture of the ole gal!

Unknowing to me, way back in the late sixties, I had one of those axle nuts on my CJ3A. The weld came loose and the wheel passed me up while in georgia-overdrive, coasting, and going down hill. Everything worked out ok, but the backing plate did loose a little metal on the bottom side. That did provide a good drain for water and mud tho.

1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 4:25pm
What's next?  I'm laying low while paying for this suspension.  The CJ2A is staying out of the Arkansas heat by taking the summer EZ in Michigan.  Actually a chunk of the wiring harness went up in smoke while in Michigan and I decided to leave the CJ there.  I'll be going back up to Michigan soon to get the wiring right and the CJ back on the trail.
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
 Post Reply Post Reply