Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swapping a 4.3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swapping a 4.3
    Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 2:21pm
So my pal is giving me free reign to repower his 48 (again). I picked up this well built 4.3 (I did NOT pay this much for it) A question I have for you guys is regarding the oil pan. This motor was from a ifs s10 pickup. The front of the pan is very shallow and the sump seems very deep. My question is what pan are you guys running? Im afraid the stock pan is going to sit quite low. This jeep leads a hard wheeling life.
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 3:23am
We have a couple 4.3L engines in flatties. As the pic below shows I have been taking the stock oil pan, cutting the bottom 1 1/2" of it off and building a new bottom out of 3/16" steel plate. It is still the same depth, but much stronger. With the low hood height of a CJ2A and the relative tall height of the 4.3L Vortec the oil pan definitely hangs down pretty low in our recent CJ2A build "Rojo". Even in Blueberry the oil pan ground clearance is not great, but you never lose oil pressure when going uphill.

What other modifications have been done to the CJ2A getting the engine transplant?

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 10:23am
No personal experience....

But I found Summit Racing has a few options for the 4.3 that are under $50.

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 12:58pm
My skid plate runs from the motor mounts all the way to the center crossmember:

My tranny is just as low as my oil sump anyway.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 1:13pm
That is a great photo, I will probably mimic your skidplate and leave the pan alone. Also curious if you are running manifolds or some kind of header?
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 1:36pm
Nothing crazy, I swapped a 225 in originally, did a saginaw swap ..AA chain clutch linkage. Rebuilt the remaining stock drivetrain. No traction aids..yet.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by BryanB BryanB wrote:

That is a great photo, I will probably mimic your skidplate and leave the pan alone. Also curious if you are running manifolds or some kind of header?
Mine are stock manifolds but my exhaust no longer looks like that. I kinda duplicated what Bridog did on Rojo:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 1:41pm
This is the one getting the transplant
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 1:43pm
I was hoping we could use the manifolds, that is very similar to how the buck motor is routed now, hopefully with  a bit of cutting i can tie it back in.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by BryanB BryanB wrote:

I was hoping we could use the manifolds, that is very similar to how the buck motor is routed now, hopefully with  a bit of cutting i can tie it back in.
My drive train is raised up into the floorboard so if your's is not, you will have even more room.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 11:10pm
Do you have plans for the 225 you are removing?  We are getting ready to build a 3B for my son and we are planning on putting an odd fire in it. 

BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 11:52pm
Probably going to squirril it away (I have a real problem letting jeep stuff go...ie hoarder) you should search northern areas of wisconsin craigslist. A dude up there has a sweet 225 with some fun goodies (offenhauser, holley. ect ect)  if i can find the link ill post it here. I see you are a service tech, i am too. I do all commercial industrial work cool to see other peiple in my trade with similar hobbies.
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 11:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply