Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swing away tire and can carrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swing away tire and can carrier
    Posted: 03 June 2018 at 7:29pm
As I finish getting the re-build done, I am thinking that I would like to move the spare tire to the rear of the Willys. Since I will be carrying dog kennels and bird dogs in the bed, I need a strong, simple swing away carrier THAT DOES NOT MOUNT TO THE TAILGATE OR TUB.

I see a couple advertised for CJ7s and later Jeeps, but the info is so sparse I don't even know the measurements. I can buy or have a custom design built.

Any advice, products, design options, etc. for me?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:16pm
There are s lot of great ideas in this thread.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 9:33pm
here’s how I built mine.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:58pm
Thanks, Rick. I will probably end up with something similar.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:21pm
A thing to keep in mind is that there can be a lot of load on the hinge pin in a setup like Rick has.  I had that type of setup on my CJ5 at one point, and with a 235/85-16 spare I snapped the 3/4" pivot pin on my first fourwheeling trip (spare was ~32x9.5-16 but load range E and pretty heavy for its size).  I had cross-drilled the pin to keep a collar in position, which weakened it.  And Rick's pivot looks to be more than 3/4".  I'm just saying to keep that loading in mind.

(I was also using a 3/4" pin as a latch on the other side, so I replaced both the broken pivot pin and the latch pin with 3/4" bolts and finished the trip without being able to swing the carrier away.)

Longer term I built a hinge that had the fixed bracket come up over the carrier as well, putting the pin in double shear instead of bending.  And I didn't cross-drill the pin.  That made it a lot stronger.  Also I designed a much better latching system that used an over-center clamp to pull the free end of the carrier into a notch to help hold it in place as well.  That worked great for the rest of the time I owned that Jeep.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of what I had, so this might not be so helpful.  But just keep in mind that there's a lot of weight bouncing around back there, and make sure the mounts are up to it.  (Attaching it to the body above really helps spread out the load, but attaching to the body isn't always a popular option.  I know I wanted to avoid it.)
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 5:19pm
Bob - Thanks for your response. I have had swing away carriers on my Landcruisers and a couple of other vehicles, so I am familiar with the stresses generated while traveling in the backcountry. I will be looking for a very stout pin and and trying to figure out a mounting point that would include bracing from the PS frame end.

Thanks again.

Mike
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply