Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T18 transmission help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 9:45pm
Ok I see that, but I think what your seeing is the hub and drum being slid back off of the mainshaft. I’m guessing that the  snap ring has been removed and that allows the synchro assembly to moved back off and away from the blocking ring.
In your case I think the hub has been reversed and it now no longer extends foreward as far as it should. If that’s the case then 
your synchro hub will extend further toward the rear than normal.
I don’t have books to determine if post 1979 synchro hubs are the same as the earlier T18’s. But I suspect there was no part # change.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 9:49pm
I watched the video and when he takes it apart, it looks just like Ken said it should be. When it is put back together it looks like yours. It appears the guy in the video replace the synchro hub with a later design?
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 9:54pm
I did not watch much of his video because the part I saw told me he is strickly a novice. He pulled the sleeve off from the synchro assembly and poppet balls went flying everywhere. 
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I watched the video and when he takes it apart, it looks just like Ken said it should be. When it is put back together it looks like yours. It appears the guy in the video replace the synchro hub with a later design?
I have the later design in my transmission.
1948 Luzon red CJ2A No name yet
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I did not watch much of his video because the part I saw told me he is strickly a novice. He pulled the sleeve off from the synchro assembly and poppet balls went flying everywhere.

I agree, the guy is clearly a novice. I was just looking at the part where he starts pulling things apart. I do believe the snap ring is in place because he pulls it off later in the video. I will keep digging, thank you for the incite. 
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 10:39pm
Just remembered here I have another Ford 6.32 T18 mainshaft assembly complete.
In this pic you see it shifted into neutral. Note how the sleeve is flush to rear of the hub.

In this pic you see if shifted into gear and the shift collar has only moved forward.
Zero aftermarket parts

hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 11:28pm
My first picture is it in "2nd gear" the 2nd picture is it in "1st gear". I will get out and get a picture in neutral when I get home this evening.
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 5:10am
Here are a couple of pictures of the assembly in “neutral”
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 5:40am
Well that all looks perfectly normal to me.
The only concern I have is that second pic of yours.
No hurry on my end but when you get the time could you shift it into Low gear using the shift tower; then remove the shift tower and take a couple clear view pics of the gear, the synchro and large blocking ring......
Zero aftermarket parts

hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 5:48am
I will try and do that Sunday night. We are headed out of town for the weekend. Thanks for the help so far!
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 3:13pm
I was unable to take my shift tower off with it shifted into low gear.
But I determined that the large sliding gear sets about 1/16” or so just forward of the rear of case.

Here yet again you can clearly see that the synchro hub sets right up against the large bronze blocking ring with no gap.

NOTE: that the blocking ring can only rotate about 1/4” in either direction because it’s notches are fully engaged to the synchronizer plates.

Zero aftermarket parts

hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:17am
Ok here are a couple of pictures of the trans shifted into low with the shift tower. I have about an 1/8 of an inch from the case. As you can see there is a gap between the gear hub and the brass ring. Everything is tight and there is no slop. The only movement is the rotation of the blocking ring to the synchro plates. 
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:46am
Well I’m sure not familiar with the late T18’s but it’s obvious that our low synchronizer hubs and sleeves are notably different.
Apparently your hub is much shorter up at the front end and does not encompass the blocking ring.
That seems very strange to me.
I can’t think of any other Borg Warner’s made like that.

I suggest you get hold of Nickmil (ECJ-5 Forum).
Nick has more  T18 experience than anyone I know of.
Zero aftermarket parts

hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:49am
I will do that. Thank your for the help. 
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 4:12pm
   Gosh dang T-18 transmissions, they are a real PIA to work on.

I have one apart currently which has been collecting dust since summer 2019.

I am not a transmission man but, I have successfully refurbed many a manual transmission.

What I was reading last year in my travels was that with some T-90 sycronizer springs and detents is some aftermarket pieces can Bind-up and may need some custom "Joe-homeowner" massaging for the Syncronizer ring and detents and hub to all work seamlessly.

First thing I would do is to ever so carefully get that mainshaft out of the case and Inspect all components for proper orientation.

What i have learned in the past converting T-18 and NP-435 transmissions is that we 'need' a puller to disassemble a BW T-18.
   Not the case with the NP435, which will easily fall apart in your lap.
   The NP-435 is very User-Friendly for us joe-homeowner wrencher-type's.

I have not yet re-assembled my current T-18 so i cannot make any accurate suggestions.

I do have One confession:
After installing a Novak T-18 kit in my '77 CJ-7 in 1984, and then running the Rubicon jeep trail for the following 18-summers, i pulled the trans to fix a gear-oil leak and pulled the clutch cover to inspect the disc.
    The clutch disc looked Perfect and the flywheel. I was amazed.
This told me that with the 6.32:1 crawler-gearing, the clutch doesn't have to work very hard or need slipping frequently.   I'm sold. _ _ or was.
    _ _ _ until talking with a guy about his rock-buggy and automatic transmission 'benefits'.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:02pm
   Ok,

I just ran out to my shop and looked at my T-18 mainshaft which has not been disassembled by me. YET but it will eventually before 2025 i hope.

So, your retainer ring that holds the synchronizer clip things needs to be tucked.   In other words, it needs to be inside the hub like Ken (oldtime) mentioned.   Same scenario as on the other end at 3rd and 4th.
Please see below, and the clips retaining ring is not visible on mine.

In the above photo, the notches in the syncro do not line up with notcbes in the slider ring. Nearest I can tell.

Ken, help, am I safe to slide the 1st / 2nd slider ring further to the rear of the mainshaft without clips and springs shooting off like a firework display ?

in the above photo, we are looking at the round-wire retaining ring for the synchronizer clips that click into a groove to hold the shifting ring in place.
This is at the front of the mainshaft assembly and we are looking at 3rd gear inside of the shifting ring. 4th gear, or Direct, is the input gear.
I think.   Hmm, I don't know if my brain was ever 'crystal-clear', and my wife would be the first to admit it should be scanned for broken Sectars. haha

in the above photo, I am comparing my gap to yours between 3rd and 2nd.
Yours looks to be correct here.

4th being "direct", is when the 3 / 4 slider ring slips over and engages the input shaft (driven gear).   Your 3rd gear syncro is way too far out of the 1st-2nd gear syncro Hub on the mainshaft. Tuck that puppy back in where it is supposed to be.
    I coulc be all hosed up here, But, i just looked at my T-18 and shifted from 1st (granny) to 2nd (1st in a 3-speed) and i cannot see the clippy retainer ring or the Gap you have.

Does this make sense.
    I would begin with removing the 3$**!!x?%$ clip and remove the 1st gear hub from your mainshaft to investigate why your clip retainer ring is outside of the 1st / 2nd gear Hub. These clips are some of the Toughest I have ever worked with and will cause a preacher to cuss like a Sailor.   :)
I know, _ _ _ i've heard my Dad cuss, and remarkable proficient.

I can attach a photo from just a few minutes ago.   I'll see.

Good luck and keep us posted of your Misery. We all suffer.

I normally get things near correct after the 4-th attempt.

Transmissions are so doggon Basic it is almost impossible to hose things up "IF" care is taken on disassembly, unless you are a guru who does this everyday in his sleep. A pro tradesman can do everything by 'feel' in the dark without batting an eye.    hahaha
     The key element is to have "everything" in proper order when assembling the mainshaft assembly.   Yep

Edited by Greaser007 - 30 June 2020 at 6:37pm
hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:31pm
Thank you for the info. Is your transmission and earlier or later style?
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:46pm
Hotrod,
    Read back through my comments for clarity.
I had my original description of the gears mixed up end for end, and I just did about 10:28 PST, hopefully correct my descriptions, as 1st gear is at the rear.
God I get mixed up looking at all those gears and slider stuff.

I think mine is the earlier without the rectangular notch on the top plate.

I am on a Re-Learn with this.   Please bear with me, as I may be off base.

And, hopefully these photos may help.

Len
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>