Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3-C Front Replacement Panel??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3-C Front Replacement Panel??
    Posted: 11 June 2021 at 9:28pm
Does anyone know of a source for a replacement front panel for a T3C trailer? I was told it was the same as the rear or a M100, but the are 1" different in height.
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 9:44pm
D&L Bensinger carries them. Kinda pricey but it's the right part.

Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
kingcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 9:48pm
I will call Daryl before I splurge because the same part number is listed MMT008 for the M100. Thanks
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 10:10pm
I believe all the trailer tubs have the same dimensions.  So the end panel would be the same - front or back.

DLB listing states oversize.  When I look at my T3-C, There is a lip (on the side panels) behind the front panel for attachment.  Oddly, there is a small (about 1/4") wrap of the front panel around that seam along the side panels.

If you can take some pics of what you have before you disassemble it for reference.

Mine:
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
kingcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 11:13pm
I stopped by c&c equipment yesterday and measured one of their M100 panels and the measurements were not the same as the t3c. Scott carries MD Juan panels for most items. Anyways, I measured my T3C beforehand and took them with me to compare and noticed when comparing that the M100 panel width was 46 1/2 inches wide below the top rail. This may explain why your panels wrap the sides. I also measured the height from below the top rail to the bottom and it measured 1 " shorter than my t3c panel in height. The measurement from below the top rail to 45 degree is 2 1/2" and my civilian measures 3 1/2". Needless to say I did not buy it and still am at a loss as to what to do.

Edited by kingcj2a - 12 June 2021 at 6:38am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 11:31am

Full disclosure, I used the manuals to compare the dimensions between the M100 (TM-9-2330-20114) and the Bantam T3 (TM-10-1281) to compare the two trailers.  As I understand it, the T3 is the same as the T3-C, except for the changes made for the civilian market.  So, my only experience between the different trailers are the publications.

Both list the inside width at the top as 46".  Both list the width at the bottom as 38".  Both list the height of the tub on the inside as 18".  So I used that as a published comparison. 

Having access to an actual trailer to compare is really handy!  So, with the above numbers as a reference - and with your observations, I went out and physically measured my tub.  The inside top was less than 46" - about 45 3/4" (no tube - just inside wall to inside wall) but the height and bottom measurements were the same as above.  I do believe there could be some deviations.  Then there's the whole issue of undocumented field repairs.... 

All of those replacement panels come from the same source.  MDJuan has had fitment issues before.  Some improvements were made but I'm sure issues still exist.  I have run into issues myself on supplied parts not fitting. 

I feel your pain.  Choices are limited.  Either fabricate from scratch (I've read threads of talented folks creating panels - to include the reinforcement ribs - that have the skills and time), or start with an existing panel and add or cut out segments as needed to get it to fit.  With that option, a donor trailer cutout or a replacement panel from a vendor are all I can think of.  I do this option as I have no  fabrication skills. 

It'd be interesting to see how you get through this.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
kingcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 12:39pm
Rus

I truly appreciate you helping another Bantam Trailer enthusiast on this issue and I know we will figure it out. That's the fun part! If there are any others looking to join in on the fun you are welcome!

My measurements are basically the same as you reference above. I have attached them for reference and all to comment. My measurements are from the outside. What I struggle with is the replacement panel being offered did not measure up to these dimensions and the sellers may not be aware. And there is the fact I still want to locate a replacement panel.

If there is anyone on the forum that has a M100 handy and is will to provide there measurements the mystery may be solved. I am particularly curious on the taped dimension from the bottom of the top rail to where the angled cut starts. My T3C measures 3 1/2" and the replacement M100 measured yesterday at 2 1/2", thus making the panel overall height 1" shorter.

There is the possibility that the replacement panel M100 is not made correct or the two trailers are not the same.

Oh, I have C&C Equipment in Nashville, Indiana also checking with MD Juan.

Edited by kingcj2a - 12 June 2021 at 12:41pm
kingcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2021 at 1:44pm
Update: No response from MD Juan. Is there anyone willing to measure a front panel on a M100 trailer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 10:51am
kingcj2a,
I should have thought of this earlier.  Nothing against members here but I suspect you'd be overwhelmed with all the data you would want with a cross post over on the g503 forum.

They have a 1/4 ton trailer section and those guys would have 100's sitting around to get multiple measurements for comparison.

That being said, even if you determine the panel is in fact too short for the T3-C, you may want to consider it as a starting point and then add a strip to bring it up to what you need.  

Edited by Rus Curtis - 14 July 2021 at 10:52am
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply