Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evansjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 help
    Posted: 18 Nov. 2020 at 1:51am
Ok so I am going thru my transmission and assessing the situation. transmissions are not really my game and I don’t have a lot of experience with them so I M hoping someone can help.  I have gotten the shifter freed up as well as 1/r gear to rotate and move on shaft.  2/3 gears will rotate when I push the clutch in so that is good news too.  I was wondering if anyone has pictures of 2nd gear engaged and 3rd gear engaged without the shifter on the top. Or if someone can at least walk me through what I should be looking for when they are engaged.  1/r took a little work to clean up and get moving smoothly but it wasn’t too bad I’m just not sure how 2 and 3 work.  

Also I have some 80w-90 texitron gear oil from the late 80’s.  Would this suffice for gl1 or should I be safe and buy new gl1. I am also assuming the transfer case also uses gl1.  

Any advice is much appreciated. 
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2020 at 2:36am
Watch the Rick Stivers U-tubes. There's a world of information there and very easy to understand. Then if you still have questions ask them on the forum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-iqPsTlPLY
I use Napa Gl-1 for the transmission and transfer case. I wouldn't use any oil that has been on the shelf for years, especially if it has been opened. It's pretty difficult to say how long the shelf life is on petroleum products, it really depends on the oil and the additives. Good quality oil is about the cheapest thing you can buy.
I believe 80w-90 texitron would be GL-5 (hypoid), alright in the differential but not in the transmission.   
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
 Post Reply Post Reply