Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 output gear - what is this part?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 output gear - what is this part?
    Posted: 30 June 2018 at 6:43am
Finishing up my T-90 reassembly.
On the output shaft, between the rear bearing and the output gear, I have this part that I cannot find in the Novak guide schematic or in the willystech.com rebuild guide. Looks like some kind of an oil slinger...?

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 6:16pm
Doesn't belong there. It could be a spacer that is used to control mainshaft endplay on the other side of the mainshaft bearing.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 7:51pm
I sort of have to agree with the above post. An old job of mine was to rebuild Jeeps and I don't remember an oil slinger there.
uncamonkey
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 9:05pm
Yep. Doesn't belong there. 
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 11:11pm
Yeah I'll leave it out... It sort of looks like one of those things that go in the differentials, under the yoke. Except both of mine already have them, I rebuilt them three months ago and I just checked they are both there...
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

... It could be a spacer that is used to control mainshaft endplay on the other side of the mainshaft bearing.

It was on the outside, between the bearing and the output gear.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 3:44pm
If it is there, then it is not on the other side setting end play.
Which brings up the question, how is that end play?
1946 CJ2A 14098
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 4:33pm
The slinger belongs there! Place the slinger cupped away from the bearing face so oil is directed into the bearing.  Only remove if you intend on using a sealed bearing.

Edited by danover321 - 01 July 2018 at 4:36pm
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 6:28pm
This part comes up on occasion.  I'll lay out some truths, then my opinion.  

I have opened up 5  T-90 Transmissions.  Not a single one had this part.  You won't find a single T-90 exploded view (vintage  or modern) that shows or lists this part.  If you can find one,  I would like to see it.

You can find this part shown and listed on the T84 Transmission. (used in the MB, GPW)

What I believe is during the transition from the T-84 to the T-90, this part was probably rendered useless, then eliminated very early on during T-90 production.  

I can't prove my theory.

Tim

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 11:52pm
I still agree with you. There was never a need for an oil slinger on the back of a T 90. They went in the front on the input shaft on some.
I don't tell some people why I know this stuff. I know that you live in Arvada now but 40 years ago it would have been Mile Hi Jeep Rebuilders that you got things from.
My HS job, tear them apart one afternoon and put them back together the next day.
I never had 1 come back. I didn't know well I had it. An entire room full of OEM parts there.
uncamonkey
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

If it is there, then it is not on the other side setting end play.
Which brings up the question, how is that end play?

I haven't taken a dial gauge to it, but its barely any... I installed all the new thrust washers. It spins freely, more or less, but its nice and tight.
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

This part comes up on occasion.  I'll lay out some truths, then my opinion.  

I have opened up 5  T-90 Transmissions.  Not a single one had this part.  You won't find a single T-90 exploded view (vintage  or modern) that shows or lists this part.  If you can find one,  I would like to see it.

You can find this part shown and listed on the T84 Transmission. (used in the MB, GPW)

What I believe is during the transition from the T-84 to the T-90, this part was probably rendered useless, then eliminated very early on during T-90 production.  

I can't prove my theory.

Tim

This part is REAL - and it DOES appear in a Willys manual!  Apologies for being very, very late to this party - but I'm in the midst of rebuilding my 1948 T-90, and it HAS this oil slinger. To all appearances, this transmission had never been opened. I do know its history, and it was "put out to pasture" in 1962 and stayed untouched until I brought it home in 2017.

I've been searching the internet for it and found this thread. The part is shown and labeled in the 1945 (1st edition) of the CJ2A Maintenance Manual, page 68. It is item # 30 'Oil Retaining Washer.' They specifically mention it in the instructions, also, on page 70.

JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 9:48pm
FWIW - I just tore down and rebuilt my T90 and it had the slinger or shield on the rear bearing. I'm sure this was rebuilt at least once before me, so no way to tell if original. Mine was cupped in toward the bearing and the bearing cage looked like it had been riding on it. Replaced the bearing and did not put the slinger back on. Seems from a lubrication standpoint it should not be needed. Shaft end play could be an issue I'll have to look at.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 10:03pm
  The problem with the T-84 was that the oil in the transfer case would “climb” up the spinning gears during sustained high-speed use and would find its way through the rear transmission main bearing and overfill the transmission. This slinger was an attempt to stop that. The T-90 has holes in the rear of the case and the front of the transfer case to allow oil to flow more or less freely between the two, stopping the overfilling. Maybe the very early T-90’s didn’t have those holes? Or maybe they just carried the part over until they realized they didn’t need it. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 10:11pm
It's true that the early T-90s did NOT have those holes, so that the gear oil could move back and forth. The transmission and transfer case had to be separately filled or drained, and both had a separate breather.

On the 1948 T-90 I'm rebuilding, however, the passages ARE there, and there's only a breather on the transfer case. Yet it has the oil slinger present. (Casting Date is July 12, 1948. It's for a '48 4WD pickup, with side-shift / column shift - just like an early CJ. The trucks used column shift during first year of production 1947 and through '48. Then 1949's forward were built with floor shift. But they all used the same good old  T-90, though.) 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 10:44pm
Very interesting. 

I have 3 T90s, 2 are from 48 CJ2As, and the 3rd is in the 47 CJ2A out in the driveway. 

This Spring I will be rebuilding the 48 box I pulled out of a running Jeep and was able to try it out. 

I will be looking for that part just out of curiosity. Bruce's explanation makes a lot of sense, and like the early manual Don posted it probably was just a holdover from the T-84 days which was later dropped. 

I love finding these things out, even if, or maybe especially if, it is obscure stuff I don't really need to know. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2021 at 3:08am
The service manual figure is for the early transmission without interconnecting holes - also illustrated is an oil seal mounted in the bearing adapter
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2021 at 5:30pm
I am fairly sure I did read that if you are going from T90A to T90C one of the changes is leaving out the slinger.
That implies that they expect one to be there.
I expect that it is a hold over from the T84.

This has me wondering if my Jeep has the interconnecting hole from trans to TC.
I know the trans was changed from the original to floor shift, but the TC may not have holes as I think it is original.
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>