Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 rebuild kit question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 rebuild kit question
    Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 7:40pm
Hi everyone,  I recently received a complete T90 rebuild kit from Kaiser Willys and am a little confused.   The countershaft bearing spacer that I received in the kit is much bigger inside and outside diameter than the old one.  The new countershaft itself is exactly the same size as the old one.  The countershaft cluster gear itself is an exact match of the old one.   Basically what I'm looking at is that the new spacer is a tight fit in the cluster gear and a very loose fit on the counter shaft,  and the old spacer is a loose fit in the cluster gear (both new and old ) but a tight fit on the counter shaft. Is this right?  I guess the spacer is nothing more than a spacer,  meant to keep the roller bearings in place and the bearings themselves would be a tight fit between the cluster gear and the counter shaft,  but wouldn't thh spacer bounce around in the spinning cluster gear and cause vibration and damage?   I have not tried putting it and the needle bearings inside the cluster gear yet but it all seems that it would be a little loosey goosey to me. Anyone seen this before?  
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 11:24pm
Kinnett said: " I recently received a complete T90 rebuild kit from Kaiser Willys "

Don't tell me, let me guess: Omix-ADA?   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 11:47pm
I just tore diwn two T90s. Both original spacers measured .975"- .980" OD. If your original is similar, use it rather than what they sent. BTW, I just ordered the master rebuild kit from Novak. I'll check their spacer when it arrives. I also ordered some NOS parts from Pete Debella. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 1:37am
Thanks guys for the responses.  And yes,  the new spacer is Omix-ADA.  My old spacer measures .976. The new one supplied with the kit measures 1.00.  The new one is also about 1/8" longer!  Since it was larger inside and outside diameter and longer, I figured it had to be incorrect.  Now I'm gonna have to closely compare every part in this kit with the old  parts.  I better dig up the old needle bearings and see how they compare to the ones in the kit....
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 4:00pm
Hey! Its round and made of metal, close enough for Amix-AdaDisapprove
BOULDER 48 2A
Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 7:25pm
Guess what,  I checked the bearing spacer washers supplied with the kit and they won't fit inside the cluster gear.  They are obviously stamped steel, with stamping ridges on them and not flat.   I can fix them,  but....  
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Kinnett Kinnett wrote:

Guess what,  I checked the bearing spacer washers supplied with the kit and they won't fit inside the cluster gear.  They are obviously stamped steel, with stamping ridges on them and not flat.   I can fix them,  but....  

Gish that's bad. Those should be hardened washers specific to the diameter. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:16am
  There are two different lengths of spacers. The earlier transmissions didn't have a washer against the spacer, so only four washers and a longer spacer. I've seen both spacers, but I never noticed any difference in the diameter of the spacer. Or the washers. Omix strikes again! OuchAngry  
  Unless they are rusted or badly worn, I would use the old spacer and washers. And you're right, it's probably a good idea to check the diameter of the rollers, and the hardness too!    BW

Edited by Bruce W - 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:18am

Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 3:04pm
Mike from Kaiser Willys is going to send me a new small parts kit from a different supplier.   I will post on this string how the parts compare.   I must say that my experience with Kaiser Willys customer service has always been and continues to be exceptional.   
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 3:37pm
Glad to hear they are trying to do the right thing. It just too bad they don't check they kits for proper components in the first place. I wonder if its the same kit other vendors supply?  Now I'm curious about the kit I ordered from Novak.  I'll be checking it closely.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 5:03pm
I think Novak makes their own stuff and makes a good quality kit you'll be happy with
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

There are two different lengths of spacers. The earlier transmissions didn't have a washer against the spacer, so only four washers and a longer spacer. I've seen both spacers, but I never noticed any difference in the diameter of the spacer. Or the washers. Omix strikes again! OuchAngry  
  Unless they are rusted or badly worn, I would use the old spacer and washers. And you're right, it's probably a good idea to check the diameter of the rollers, and the hardness too!    BW

Yes, check the hardness.

I recall when I was in the business tearing down a T90 that Bubba had been into at some time and he had apparently lost some of the needle rollers so he used finish nails cut to length to fill in for the missing needle rollers.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 11:01pm
Finish nails in place of missing needle bearings? That's awesome!  I wrote something wrong earlier,  the old spacer is longer than the new one supplied in the kit and there were only 4 washers in the transmission,  just like you said Bruce.  The needle bearings in the kit match the old ones and they seem hard -  I tried to mark them with a cold chisel and ball peen hammer and couldn't.  
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 4:08am
Embarrassed  I have to admit - I once put a short piece of baling wire in a u-joint cup to replace a lost needle. It was Saturday afternoon and I needed the car that night. It lasted thru the night and the rest of the racing season. I'm not sure now whether I ever did replace that u-joint. Confused LOL   BW

Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 5:07pm
   Omg ! _ _ SE Kansas

I had better not toss out that old can of finish-nails quite yet.

We would probably get lots of chuckles seeing how people made things work with a Bubb-Fix, being a last resort fix.

Here is one of my Bubba-Solutions on the '46 Willys that I was installing Saginaw power steering onto:
   The little L134 had a single groove crank pulley, and after combing the wrecking yard for a "donor-pulley" I discovered that the Smog-Air-Pump pulley off of a Chevy 350 was the correct diameter to match the crank pulley, and it was the correct width for the narrow belt.
   I centered it best I could and "stitch-welded it to my crank pulley in-frame with my mig welder. Never had a problem with it, and on the Rubicon Trail I could turn the steering wheel at idle with two-fingers effortlessly.
   Sometimes Bubba-Fixes do work very well. :)

Changing u-joints is always a challenge, so I will keep on-hand a variety of different diameters of Finish-Nails. (just in case)

I have had very good luck with Novak, and installed his T-18 adapter-kit in 1984, into a '77 jeep (for the Rubicon) and it is like-new today.

It has been 20+ years since rebuilding a T-90 that reading this is a good refresher and i am interested in what will be the solution to the spacer.

Len

Edited by Greaser007 - 11 Dec. 2018 at 5:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply