Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 rebuild
    Posted: 08 Nov. 2022 at 10:34pm
I plan on this being a little follow along of my rebuild as well as a log for all the questions I come apon as I get into this.
A few days ago I noticed a larger than normal puddle of gear oil underneath my jeep. It's been an issue for a while but this makes me want to prioritize this rebuild over other little and minor things I have planned.

Rebuilding the spare will allow me to to still use the jeep and when it's rebuilt hopefully I can spend a few hours just pulling out the old and installing the new, instead of having my jeep down for a few weeks without a transmission 

I have a spare T90 case that's been bead blasted, and painted, it's in good shape with no cracks. From that transmission I have a box of gears that I kept to clean and inspect for potential reuse. Bearings will be the best I can get, no point in cheating out there and I won't be reusing those. If the gears have anything more than very light wear, I'm gonna replace them.
I will be reusing the tower I'm currently running because I just rebuilt it.

Pictures to follow of the gears and transmission case, don't want to walk out in the garage with the kiddo

Edited by General Eisenhower - 08 Nov. 2022 at 10:35pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2022 at 10:46pm
If you haven't seen it before, Metalshaper on YT has an excellent video on rebuilding the T90, about an hour long, that you might want to look at, while kiddo is napping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdBD659UQOY

Good luck!
1951 M38
1951 M100
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 5:19am
How old is the kiddo, I often had my granddaughter out in the shop with me. It started when she was about 6 months old & continued until today. She is now 13 years old.

Her mom & dad both worked & grandpa worked nights, so that worked out quite well. She is a great helper & I am not worried that she will be unable to repair her own rig when she buys it. Heck, when she gets her first car, I will gift her her own used tool kit. I want her to have the good stuff. She will get the kit she has used for all these years.

As far as the gearbox, I will learn right beside you.

Thanks for sharing, Cpt Logger.
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 7:10am
If you need a set of needle bearing installation tools you’re welcome to my set. I have enough conduit and rod to make another in the future if I ever need to. I found rebuilding the t90 to be pretty easy and fun. I used the Novak kit and added a mainshaft, 1st reverse slider and reverse idler to the rebuild. I also watched several videos several times and used the one Novak has on their site on cue while re assembling. I haven’t been able to run it yet, but everything turns and shifts as it should. I’m looking forward to the day I can actually use it. 
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 12:33pm
The baby is five weeks old. I just don't want him in the fumes at that young of an age
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 7:12pm
Here is my case and a few parts I've cleaned up so far. The cluster gear is very clean with no pitting. The brown you see in the teeth is an oily grime.

As for the other two shafts what's the verdict on reuse? 

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 7:53pm
The cluster gear and main shaft look serviceable, but I would replace the countershaft, they are not expensive. Avoid Omix-Ada, look for a NOS, or pop for the hardened shaft from Novak. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 09 Nov. 2022 at 7:57pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

The main shaft looks serviceable, but I would replace the countershaft, they are not expensive. Avoid Omix-Ada, look for a NOS, or pop for the hardened shaft from Novak. 

And I will! The picture of the main shaft shows the only blemishes on it
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 8:10pm
QTM has new manufacturered US made ones as well as a kit for all the small things such as synchronizers and needle bearings, it'll be right around 50 bucks with shipping for both, so that's not bad at all
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 9:02pm
I have found QTM to be a very reliable supplier. Heading down there tomorrow for a few parts.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 9:14pm
A fairly recent post about Novak kits might be useful........
1951 M38
1951 M100
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 9:19pm
I recently bought a dummy shaft for bench loading the bearings in the cluster, it is made of some kind of hard plastic and works better than the wooden dowels I have used in the past.

I bought the dummy shaft from here:

Sal also has a lot of good transmission parts.

Also recommend you look for and watch some of Rick Stiver's videos on rebuilding the T90. One of his more recent videos he shows how to use little rubber bands to hold the bearings on the dummy shaft and that is an excellent idea.

Edited by Oldpappy - 09 Nov. 2022 at 9:22pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2022 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

A fairly recent post about Novak kits might be useful........

Yea I'm actually in that thread and I did remember it vaguely, mostly about the novak kit containing the omix parts, which I will not put in my jeep. 
Some of the external eye candy is omix but I wouldn't trust it in the running gear
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2022 at 4:41pm
Having checked with QTM, his US made clustergear shaft is hardened, it wasn't specifically mentioned so I'd rather know before I buy
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2022 at 5:37pm
Visited a bit with Tony today while I was down there to get an oil pan. 

I asked him about transmission parts, and mentioned reports about the Novak kit now containing Omix-Ada 2nd gear and maybe other parts. He said he will not sell the Omix-Ada engine or transmission parts.

I feel pretty confident about the parts he sells, been dealing with QTM for years and only disappointed once about a windshield seal for a CJ5 being an inch too long, but that wasn't their fault, and they made good on it. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2022 at 6:16pm
Well that's good to hear I can buy in confidence from there for running parts.
I must say, I am envious of how close you are to there
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2022 at 6:56pm
I can sell you an acre or two and you can build a shack on it.Wink

It is well worth the hour long drive to go down there to pick up parts that would be expensive to ship, and it is an interesting place to visit, no telling what might be sitting around down there. Like a candy store for Jeep addicts.
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2022 at 10:32am
That’s how I thought of Brent Mullins’ place when I lived in College Station. I got a lot of good parts for my GPW there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>