Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 rebuild
    Posted: 17 May 2023 at 7:53pm
Hello,

Im planning to rebuild my T90. The case seems to be in pretty good shape but the gears show 70 years of traveling. So, since I don’t want to do this rebuild twice, I plan to replace all gears.
What are my options? I’m looking for quality parts.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Klaus
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 10:15pm
Find a NOS input shaft and NOS 2nd gear if possible. Omix cluster gears, first gears, and main shafts are surprisingly OK in my experience, but the second gears and input shafts are not quite right. 
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:43am
I went with Novak.  They have all the parts.  My only issue with all the guides (written and video) is that while they are each good for SOME operations, I have not found ONE with all the steps and all the tricks. There always seems to be one step or one trick that is vital that each of the guides lack.

FWIW, it took me FOUR tries to get the rebuild correct. (it still drips a few drips after a run, but does not leak any further after coming to rest). I'll take that.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 8:33am
I used a Novak kit for the last T90 I rebuilt, but that was years ago. Lately there have been several posts on this forum about the quality of some of the gears now supplied in the Novak kit. 

I suggest contacting Sal at Vintage Jeeper.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 9:25am
I used the Novak kit with my existing gears two years ago. I added a sealed input bearing and a new second gear. The only issue was the trust washers being too thick. I ordered some from Walcks, also too thick, so I ended up thinning them. No problems 4,000 miles later. Maybe Novak has addressed the trust washers by now?

Edited by BD1 - 20 May 2023 at 9:26am
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:52am
It's a pretty straight forward transmission to rebuild.  The trickiest part is getting the counter shaft gear in with all the needle bearings staying in place.  I cut an arbor out of some wooden dowel and used small rubber bands to hold the bearings and small spacers in place while I slid the whole contraption into the case, once that's in. 

I'll see if I can dig up the website that has a full step by step rebuild for a T90 along with tips/tricks.   Edit-found it.  This website details 4 special tools they made out of electrical conduit.  I only made the one needed for the countershaft/cluster gear and used a wooden dowel.  The wooden dowel i bought was slightly too large but I put a screw in it, chucked it in my drill and used sandpaper to turn it down a bit so it worked.  I still have it on my shelf along with my T150 tool that I used for the same purpose ha.  

For the input shaft needle bearings, I simply chilled a tub of Vaseline and used that to hold them in place while I put the input shaft where it needed to be.  There are specific greases for transmission assembly if you want to go that route as Vaseline will turn to liquid pretty quick if your garage is 100 degrees.   Whatever you do don't use wheel bearing/axle grease to hold the bearings in place.  Trans assembly grease or vaseline will disolve in the oil, but wheel bearing grease wont and you'll oil starve your bearings.  

I did order a whole new top shifter assembly from I believe India.  It's not period correct but is much nicer shifting than my worn old top shifter.  

Here is another T90 rebuild guide.

As for parts.  I would go to Herm the Overdrive Guy.  When I was rebuilding mine I found I needed some parts that I couldn't get NOS and the ones I were finding were all OMIX or CROWN and I questioned their quality.  Someone suggested Herm as he knows what parts work and don't and still has access or stock of some parts others don't.  My only complaint was he doesn't do credit or paypal or anyting like that anymore which makes payment a little more complex on the consumer end. But I talked directly to him on the phone with what I had and what I was trying to do and he got the right parts to me and they fit perfect.   

1946...ish CJ2A
1976 CJ5
1995 XJ
 Post Reply Post Reply