Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 reverse idler noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 reverse idler noise
    Posted: 31 Mar. 2023 at 3:32pm
I rebuilt my transmission with a Novak kit and I had to replace some gears as well. My first/reverse slider was chewed up as well as the reverse idler. My cluster gear looked good. It looked like someone tried to put it in reverse while moving forward habitually. The idler I took out was a 16 tooth and the only one I could find was a nos 15 tooth at the time. I’ve heard that they’re interchangeable. When I reassembled it I could feel the teeth engaging when rotating the cluster. It didn’t take force, but I could definitely feel the teeth meshing. I figured this was ok since they’re interchangeable. Now when running it and the gear oil warms up I can hear a gear whine. It also whines while driving and changes pitch with gear changes. It stops when I disengage the clutch whether it’s moving or sitting which leads me to believe it’s the reverse idler making noise.  It’s also louder in the passenger side when I walk around it. Is this something I should be concerned about or is this normal t90 noise?  

Edited by Agas46cj - 31 Mar. 2023 at 3:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply