Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 reverse idler wear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 reverse idler wear
    Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 5:21pm
I’m in the process of rebuilding my t90 and inspect ting the parts. The mainshaft has a pitted nose with a couple flat spots. Not sure how that happens, but im pretty sure that’s not good for new needle bearings so im ordering a new one. Meanwhile I’ve noticed my reverse idler has a fair amount of wear. The engagement side is concave and worn about 20% of the gear. Is this still acceptable to clean up or should I buy a new one since I have to order other parts. Problem is the only on in stock is on Kaiser Willys and is a 15 tooth gear. Mine is a 16 tooth. Pretty sure that won’t line up right? 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 5:52pm
You need to replace that gear, and any other parts showing wear.  

KW is not where I would order parts like this from, they will most likely be Omix-Ada import junk.

I would look for NOS parts first. 

NOVAK would be my second choice for transmission parts and they do list the reverse idler gear. You should also replace the shaft.

Allstategear is another source I have used, and parts appear to be good quality.

Both Allstate and Novak state that the 15T and 16T reverse idler gear will interchange.

From the Novak guide to the T-90

The T90 Reverse Idler

T90's were produced with 16 tooth reverse idler gears up to 1965. Models afterwards were produced with 15 teeth reverse idler gears. These gears do interchange perfectly well.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 5:56pm
That’s good to know, I missed that part. Novak is where I got my rebuild kit from and I ordered a main shaft from them. Their reverse idlers are on back order. I didn’t want to buy something as important as a gear from kw either. A lot of things I don’t mind, but something as difficult to get to as a reverse idle gear I prefer quality. I’ll check out the other place. The cluster gear looks good, the 1st reverse slider is just as bad as the idler. I think someone repeatedly tried to get reverse at speed. You can see it was beat pretty hard judging from the braze joints I found on the transfer case shifter and bell housing

Edited by Agas46cj - 13 Aug. 2022 at 6:06pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 10:01pm
Looks like your Jeep was rode hard and put away wet.

QTM lists a reverse idler gear and shaft as well, and I have always found their parts to be good quality.

Edited by Oldpappy - 13 Aug. 2022 at 10:02pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply