Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T-90 Sealed Bearings front and rear?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankenWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-90 Sealed Bearings front and rear?
    Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:12am
Just curious to see if anyone had replaced the front and rear bearings of their T-90 with sealed bearings front and rear.

Seems like a good idea to isolate the fluids...

Let me know if you were satisfied with results or had any unexpected results?

Thanks...
Steve
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 4:59pm
Yes so far so good with the sealed bearings, my oil leaks were getting pretty bad and I dident want to risk getting the clutch oil soaked and I was tired of how much oil i was loosing.
When I needed to repair for second gear jumping out ( I had done all the the simple fixes first ) I picked up some sealed bearings to install while I repaired second gear, 
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:38am
There really is no reason to have a sealed bearing on the back as the t90 and d18 share fluid.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:20pm
YES as Bob 3b said. buy i would put in front , clutch side but pry off one side of the bearing seals
toward the gears. easy to do. doesn't hurt the integrity of the bearing itself.
gearwrencher
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 1:13am
  If you’re gonna do that you might as well save yourself some money and put it together like it was originally. Which is not a bad idea anyway. 
Just my $.20 worth. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 7:30am
Per Bob, the WWII and most Column Shift CJ-2A’s did not have drilled transmission/transfer case. Lube flows through the bearing.  A sealed rear bearing may have some benefit for these jeeps.
Most T90/D18 have oil passages that allow fluid to flow between both. A sealed bearing won’t be any different from a standard bearing.. 

Post Reply Post Reply