Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90C or not to T90C? That is the question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2015 at 6:11pm
Dads Jeep will run very nice down the road at 50 mph, 55 is pushing it, 60 is doable but unpractical, as jpet said the throttle is pinned.... This is at 800-900 ft. Above sea level, in Colorado around Nathrop (6000 plus) 50 is all it will do.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2015 at 6:22pm
I agree. For me 50 is the sweet spot for top speed
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2015 at 4:50pm
The previous gear charts weren't quite complete because I neglected to post a T90C with 25% OD.  Per request, here they are.  Again, this is with 600X16 (~28") tires.

And in standard 2.46:1 Low range....

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2015 at 6:16pm
Thanks again for the charts!!
How about T90C, Tera-Low t/case, and 25% overdrive?

I'm sitting here with my finger on the trigger of this combo, because I am excited about the low 1st gear crawl speed, but once again my math weakness blocks me from understanding the gear splits.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2015 at 11:51pm
Well, you can go to Novacs they have a conversion chart for math challenged people like myself!

The other way to look at it is your last combo is the dream combo, the only way it gets better, is a deep first gear 4 speed, and a more powerful engine and you do not want either, LOL.

Lee

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/gearing/

Edited by Lee (MN) - 14 Oct. 2015 at 1:50am
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
RustyAutoholicGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RustyAutoholicGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by pjensen641 pjensen641 wrote:

Here are some gearing charts I worked up to visualize the gear combos.  You can see how nice the T90C with 30% overdrive is split.  The speed is calculated with stock 5.38 final drive and 28" (600 X 16) tires.  You can ratio from there for larger tires.

Hey pjensen641

Did you make these graphs in Excel or some other spreadsheet application? I was wondering if I could get the formula you are using to make those graphs? I know this is an older post, but I'm doing a Kubota Diesel Swap and I'm wanting to figure out my cruising RPMs will be with a variety of different drivetrain combo's I'm looking into currently along with different lifts and tire sizes. 

The graphs are amazing for seeing what the splits are, I can see how the T90A and the 25% overdrive work so much better together but I would like to play around with tire sizes and axle gearing as well!

Thanks
DJG
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 10:29pm
Stan

When rebuilding I found that I needed to replace gears in my T90. I simply bought the T90C input and cluster gears from Herm and installed in my existing T90 case. Voila! T90C.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 10:37pm
This is a Oct 2015 thread. Wink  I would add that I have one T90C and it's noticeably wierd compared to a T90 A. 1st/2nd is lower, and then a big jump up from 2nd to 3rd. On the flat it's not a problem. Pulling a steeper grade it's extremely noticeable. Now enter a overdrive. I think it would be perfect with a high range 2nd.  Others say it is. So, I will most likely add it to my Jeep when the funds appear! LOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 10:47pm
I'm away from home right now....but yeah. The C gears make the 2nd to 3rd a bit of an issue. You basically have to run flat out in 2nd and then you are just off idle shifting to 3rd. Without the OD, I think I would get annoyed with that. The OD makes it tolerable. If you don't need a low gear for off-road...you may want to skip the C gears.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 11:04pm
I pointed Dieseljeepguy47 to this thread when he asked for some data on gearing. People were very helpful to me when I was looking for a lower crawl speed. I went with the t90c and the Tera low geared d18 transfer case along with the 25% overdrive. I love it! I only have trouble from 2nd to 3D when running in overdrive and then only when I'm just starting out and everything is not up to operating temp.

Walked me might up Wipe Out Hill in Moab.

https://youtu.be/S89u30vfHVc

Edited by smfulle - 18 May 2016 at 11:06pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
RustyAutoholicGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RustyAutoholicGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

This is a Oct 2015 thread. Wink  I would add that I have one T90C and it's noticeably wierd compared to a T90 A. 1st/2nd is lower, and then a big jump up from 2nd to 3rd. On the flat it's not a problem. Pulling a steeper grade it's extremely noticeable. Now enter a overdrive. I think it would be perfect with a high range 2nd.  Others say it is. So, I will most likely add it to my Jeep when the funds appear! LOL John

Yeah I knew I was going to be bumping an old thread, but it just had too much good information in it, but I still wanted more!

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I pointed Dieseljeepguy47 to this thread when he asked for some data on gearing. People were very helpful to me when I was looking for a lower crawl speed. I went with the t90c and the Tera low geared d18 transfer case along with the 25% overdrive. I love it! I only have trouble from 2nd to 3D when running in overdrive and then only when I'm just starting out and everything is not up to operating temp.

Again thank you smfulle! This thread has been a MASSIVE help, the graphs really do show the differences for the T90A vs T90C with 25% vs 30% overdrive!

Originally posted by pjensen641 pjensen641 wrote:

I'm away from home right now....but yeah. The C gears make the 2nd to 3rd a bit of an issue. You basically have to run flat out in 2nd and then you are just off idle shifting to 3rd. Without the OD, I think I would get annoyed with that. The OD makes it tolerable. If you don't need a low gear for off-road...you may want to skip the C gears.

Awesome! I can't wait to get the formula! Like I said I'm trying to build an ideal daily driver that can cruise at a good RPM at 55mph!!!

Thank you so much everyone!
DJG

Edited by DieselJeepGuy47 - 19 May 2016 at 2:47am
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 7:10pm
I went T-15 into a Dana 20, twin stick with Terra Low kit and a Saturn overdrive into 427 gears on diffs. But I also running a 4.3 vortec. Tongue
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
dasophoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasophoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 1:33pm
I read somewhere on the internet that you could just replace the input shaft and change the first gear of a t90a to a t90c.  I believe the input shaft is changed to a 16tooth and the first gear is a 35 tooth that matches.  Anybody tried this?
Beat up CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by dasophoto dasophoto wrote:

I read somewhere on the internet that you could just replace the input shaft and change the first gear of a t90a to a t90c.  I believe the input shaft is changed to a 16tooth and the first gear is a 35 tooth that matches.  Anybody tried this?

i'm pretty sure that is true. The trick is finding those parts. 
I bought my t90c complete from Herm the Overdrive guy.,

You might call him. He will know what you can and can't do and MIGHT sell you the parts if you want to do it yourself.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 2:01pm
3rd gear or input shaft main drive gear, same thing, needs a cluster gear to match. 1st reverse are the same in a t90a or t90c. 2nd gear is different also between the two. The jump from 2nd to 3rd is too much on a hill with the t90c unless you have overdrive. 

I have Jeeps equipped both ways. Also ww2 4:88 geared rigs. 

The overdrive with a T90 C is the best of both worlds and with Terrace Flex gears in the transfercase, more so. 

Then, 11 inch brakes all around and you are set. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

3rd gear or input shaft main drive gear, same thing, needs a cluster gear to match. 1st reverse are the same in a t90a or t90c. 2nd gear is different also between the two. The jump from 2nd to 3rd is too much on a hill with the t90c unless you have overdrive. 

I have Jeeps equipped both ways. Also ww2 4:88 geared rigs. 

The overdrive with a T90 C is the best of both worlds and with Terrace Flex gears in the transfercase, more so. 

Then, 11 inch brakes all around and you are set. Wink
dasophoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasophoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 2:05pm
That sounds like a great setup!  Im pretty cash strapped and was hoping I could just change some gears out but I might be able to find a t90c for about what I would pay for the regearing.  Thanks!
Beat up CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 2:06pm
I hate posting with a phone. What I forgot to say is if Stan or Jpet tell you to come along with them, put your big boy pants on. Maybe a welder and full set of extra parts too, LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>