Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tailgate chains, & now a hook question!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 1:22pm
I am repairing the side panels, so this is the time to address the tailgate chains.

Here is a pic of the chains on my trailer

they don't look they have been changed. Any body have this style chain on a trailer they believe is original?
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 5:44pm
That is one of the correct chain styles...probably another feature to add to the database to see when the change occurred.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
jwm1955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2017 at 1:46am
Thanks Art. I am SN 15254
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2017 at 2:57am
jwm,
I have the same Single Loop style chain on my tailgate.  Could you confirm the diameter of your hook?  I seem to recall measuring about .21 inches (mine are a bit rusty so not sure).  I have yet to source a hook of the right gauge so far.

Reading here about the attachment to the rear plates, mine too were just welded on (last loop bent to lie flat against inside lip) but hadn't considered the difficulty in re-welding (I'm not a welder)  I wonder if a hole drilled from the outside at the location to weld through to the chain loop (then grind flush) would work or would you still need to build a fillet around the anchor?

Edited by Rus Curtis - 14 Oct. 2017 at 2:59am
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
jwm1955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2017 at 12:59pm
The hook diameter I have is 0.25 inches as measured in an area that would not be worn. The hooks are not rusted and varied from 0.244 to 0.25 inches at various locations on the hook.

I am replacing the whole panel, new from MDJuan, so will weld from the back before I install the panel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2017 at 5:07pm
Thanks for measurement.

One thing to note is the welded loop was not a continuous loop - it was cut so that each end was welded (not sure if that's necessary) and note the angle (I'm assuming that was to help align it to a lowered tailgate and allow the chain to hang more vertically with tailgate up).
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
jwm1955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2017 at 10:13pm
Yes, mine are attached in the same manner. Also the welded plate under the hook hole is not on the MDJuan panels, but are on my originals.

Wasn't sure if that was a PO modification or as Bantam built them. Nice to see the pic, now I know that needs to be added to the panels.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 2:19am
Nice to know about the MDJuan panels.  I'm trying to decide on theirs vs that guy that is USA made. 
jwm1955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 1:02pm
To tie up a loose end, I believe this chain type is called: Link Lock, trade size 4/0. I was able to find it available from several sources, but in 100 ft lengths, so put the originals back on the trailer.

This chain is used on commercial overhead door applications, so will continue to check with overhead door companies for a couple of short pieces.

Edited by jwm1955 - 02 Nov. 2017 at 1:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 2:37pm
It's been so long since I bought my replacement chains, I can't remember where I got them (Kansas at the time).  I walked into the store and bought what I needed.  My chains (excluding the hook and the link that's welded to the side panel) is 22" and that length is 12 links, so total is 12 +1 to include the welded link.  I think that the most important thing would be to get the tailgate to hang as close to level.

While the style chain is defined as a "Single Loop"  I have found several sources that also refer to it a Lock Link and others that refer to it as Weldless.  They do work well on garage type doors as they lie flat over the pulley teeth.  I think your size - 4/0 - is probably as close as you'll get with what's available.  I think I "eyeballed" mine and will have to dig them out of storage to compare.
It just seems that living in the Boston area you would have at least one supplier that could sell by the foot.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
rcrhea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrhea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2020 at 11:14pm
I found and used 4/0 straight coil link chain from zoro.com for my early Bantam.  It came in 10 ft. Length.

mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 3:09am
Bringing this thread back up as I am trying to find tailgate chains.  My trailer had been converted to a rear tailgate flip up so the chains and hooks were long gone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12