Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tailgate footman loop holes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tailgate footman loop holes
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:18pm
Heres something I have not run across before. I have a 1946 early tailgate ACM# 20385
The footman loops are not present and the holes are not even drilled out for the screws. They look like the holes were stamped or partially punched for future use. This is no repop tailgate, its original. Any ideas as to why a jeep would not have the footman loops used?
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:55pm
as mentioned at the reunion, OB or "open body" vehicles that cam from the factory without a top, may not have had footman loops installed.

Just because there was no "OB" in the serial does not mean it was not an "OB" 
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:59pm
My '47 has the same tailgate.  I actually just punched them out to mount some footman loops.  SN 94359.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:24pm
Perhaps if the jeep was ordered without a top option they didn't bother to drill them out. It could have been also that the top option was dealer installed and they all left the factory that way. The old tailgate on Ol' Red (ACM 66393) had the holes drilled...MD Juan doesn't bother. Since I have no top as of yet I haven't drilled holes yet.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:46pm
Oh boy. Did anyone catch the fact that Joe Friday mentioned that it was at the "Reunion" that OB jeeps were discussed. I must have dozed off during that part of the lecture........damn! Teacher caught me. But you gotta admit that this was fine timing to bring such a cogent issue to the forefront.
Now the question is.....did ACM ship all their tailgates and bodies back to WO with these partial punches and some guy on the assembly line with a drill or a punch and hammer just knocked them out?
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:55am
....did ACM ship all their tailgates and bodies back to WO with these partial punches and some guy on the assembly line with a drill or a punch and hammer just knocked them out?

Or some guy at the dealership. That's the way I understand it. Same way with the hole in the dash for the governor control rod. There may be others.....     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:17am
Ol' Unreliable has several of the footman loop holes "suggested" in places where most other Jeeps have holes.  The top bow storage footman loop holes on the underside of the rear wheel arches, the ones on the wheelhouses, things like that, are just indented.  The rear seat latch holes were never punched out so there was never a rear seat fitted.  I see no evidence there were ever corner pockets for a rear top bow.  However, there are footman loops on the tailgate.  I can't tell if they were just drilled by a PO or not but as a guess, I'd say they were.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:35am
It is an interesting question. I went out and both of my 3B tailgates are drilled for footman loops. My '61 has footman loops that would have been used for a 1/2 cab. I didn't want to wrestle with the other body in the dark to see if it was the same.
uncamonkey
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:40am
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Oh boy. Did anyone catch the fact that Joe Friday mentioned that it was at the "Reunion" that OB jeeps were discussed. I must have dozed off during that part of the lecture........damn! Teacher caught me. But you gotta admit that this was fine timing to bring such a cogent issue to the forefront.

If I'd a had my yardstick or a switch I woulda tuned you up for talking during class. You wuzn't sleepin'
willysreunion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willysreunion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:31am
Sorry double post - I was logged in still from announcing the Fall Reunion

Edited by willysreunion - 25 May 2017 at 11:47am
Art C

Willys Reunion Staff - (Web Administrator)

http://willysreunion.com/
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:35am
Dave - have you not paid that much attention to mine at the Reunions? All the knockouts are in tact on my tub except to tie down the halfcab top on the driver side rear render.  I searched for a long time for a tailgate in this condition and is why its tan on mine. My was a factory or at least dealer installed Half Cab.

Its all documented here: http://48cj2a.com/halfcab.htm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:24pm
umm...no Art. I missed that on your jeep. I did not do due diligence on my homework. I was to overcome by the oddity of your tan tailgate on a Emerald green jeep to notice.....I have been learning more and more of these little oddities as the years go by. AND it didn't help that you weren't there this year. Now that we have this settled.....I don't know if I should knock those holes out or not.Confused
Don't think I will. Ya never know when someone might be needing a tan tailgate with intact knockouts.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Post Reply Post Reply