Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tailgate rattle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tailgate rattle
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2023 at 5:24pm
Does anyone here do anything about the tailgate rattling against the body while driving.  Just wondering if anyone has a good solution to it.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2023 at 5:55pm
  It’s a jeep. Its all steel and iron. It’s gonna rattle. If the spare tire is mounted on the tailgate it will be worse. Bolting the gate shut might quiet it some. Someone told me he drilled and tapped the hinges and ran set screws in against the rod. My chains are tied together with a bunjee cord across the gate. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2023 at 6:25pm
Can't hear the stereo? LOL
1951 M38
1951 M100
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2023 at 7:45pm
Go to your local hardware store and buy some one side stick on closed cell foam.  Stick it on the body and close the gate against it. The hinges at the bottom will allow the flat sided pins to move inside the hinge and drive you nuts. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2023 at 7:49pm
I've bolted mine shut and it makes zero noise, if you want to go that route. I have seen another 2a before that the owner had placed a thick but short bead of silicone on either side of the tailgate and it kept it tight and quiet but also wasn't anything permanent, he also had chain covers
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2023 at 10:10pm
The previous owner of mine put a spring on the hinge and attached it to the drawbar. It reduces the rattle but it doesn't eliminate it. 
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2023 at 9:07am
I put a few of those rubber stick on things used on cabinet doors, they worked great, when I bolted it shut it rattled in the hinges sompthing terrible, drove me nuts, I ended up drilling and tapping the hinges to 1/4”-20 so I could screw bolts in to bind the tailgate portion of the hinge, no more rattles 👍🏽

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2023 at 10:55am
Mine was bolted closed and still rattled.  I made some little wood wedges (like door jam shims) and it’s been quiet ever since.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2023 at 3:32pm
Would a thick coating like Plasti Dip work if it were sprayed on the hinge pins ?
Or maybe wrap the hinge pins with electrical tape ?
Experience/Opinions ?

Edited by oldtime - 15 Apr. 2023 at 4:34pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2023 at 8:57pm
my tailgate is bolted shut and the chains are hanging on the wall.. i used 2" pieces of 1/2" heat shrink tubing sliced lengthwise placed over the pins before inserting into the hinge. it's tight and quiet.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 5:29am
I use black zip ties instead of bolts, through the bottom of the hook holes.  The hook hides most of it from the rear, and the bit of plastic in the hole muffles the hook to a degree...

.. to a degree that IF it's rattling I can't hear it over the gear whine LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 9:54am
The tailgate on Wilson is twisted.   It has been since I have owned it.

I close it by first latching the driver side,   then pushing the passenger side against the tub and hooking that side.     All 4 contact points are forced either forward or rearward.

Photo of passenger side offset,  when driver side is hooked.

Below is photo after passenger side is hooked.   After 30 years of use,  the hook and holes do have a bit of wear from the constant pressure,  but after wearing in,  it does not seem to get any worse.

This is not necessarily a recommended "fix" LOL   . . but it works great,  absolutely no rattles.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 10:17am
i can't hear the tailgate rattles over all of the other various sundry rattles etc. and... it is a 70+ true utility vehicle so i suppose it should be expected.

i use my tailgate so securing it shut is out of the question. i like the heat shrink tubing idea though. 

and... JeepFever, isn't your hook installed incorrectly LOLLOLLOLLOL
calling all jeep po-leece!

Edited by bight - 16 Apr. 2023 at 10:21am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 10:46am
Heat shrink tubing seems ideal !
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 11:08am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Heat shrink tubing seems ideal !

There is heat shrink tape too ya know.Wink

I've had good luck with a light spray of Flex Seal for situations like this. (works like Plasti-Dip except it sprays a little better)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 11:16am
The tub on my CJ2A isn't fastened down by more than rusty hat channel attached to a floor panel that looks like "Swiss cheese". The angle iron frame for the tailgate opening is barely holding on to what is left of the rusty floor and wheel houses. 

It all rattles, especially when I hit a bump and the whole tub bounces up and slams back down. I don't worry about the rattles, I worry about pieces falling off.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

...I don't worry about the rattles, I worry about pieces falling off.

......and not finding them. LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 12:21am
Yes, That is the key. You really need to find them all! C'mon now, how else are you going to get them all hooked back on?

Bight, If JeepFever is doing it wrong, then so am I. Call the Jeep police on me as well. I do not want to miss this! It aught to be fun. Wink

The hook points toward the chain so that it does not hang up on me as I scoot past. I learned this one the hard way. The scars have finally healed. Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>