Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tailgate rattle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 1:47am
Like Jeep Fever shows above I've always just twisted/tweaked the tailgate a bit so that one side or the other has to be pushed in a little to get the hook in, which should resolve the rattles.  Best for non-show jeeps I guess.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 6:07am
You guys don't know what a rattle is until you put a full metal hardtop on. Like driving a cave with demons that have junk boxes full of little hammers. 

The foam serves two purposes around the tailgate: anti rattle, and road dust seal.

A friend taught me to open the windshield a inch or so to create a air flow that keeps dust down too!

Lee also  educated me about the felt stick on furniture pads. Those work wonders under the passenger seat rests and tool box lids. rear hard top gate also. 

Just buy a MB or GPW, they don't have a tailgate. LOL. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

You guys don't know what a rattle is until you put a full metal hardtop on. Like driving a cave with demons that have junk boxes full of little hammers. 

YES!   Then there's the temperature swings with the seasons.

For me, the rattle disappeared when switching to the BesTop vinyl top (and adding chain covers).  The tension in the fabric kept everything quiet.  I then started hearing new noises.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 10:46am
like hood rattles!

no, i will not put another set of latches on the cowl end of the hood.

i have tried all manner of stick-on rubber/felt on inside of hood to no avail. 

i tried inserting very small/thin cable ties into the hinge. seemed to work for a bit, then rattle returned. do not know if they eventually fell out. will try again once i get that jeep out of winter storage. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 7:51am
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

. . .

and... JeepFever, isn't your hook installed incorrectly LOLLOLLOLLOL
calling all jeep po-leece!

I thought I could hear the faint sound of sirens.  Big smile

Honestly though,  I never really thought about if there was a correct orientation.  I went out and tried to mindlessly raise tailgate and latch it several times.   It appears that the habit I have -> is latching the driver first,  inserting hook left-to-right   . .   then doing passenger side,  again hook left to right.  haha

Obviously,  when the tailgate is rotated down 90 deg (horizontal),  then the hooks have to be mounted outside-in,  or they will bind up.  
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 8:08am
I agree the hooks only go one way with tailgate down having the hook ends facing inward.
So what do the factory photos show with the tailgate up ?

Edited by oldtime - 18 Apr. 2023 at 8:11am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12