Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TAILGATE REPAIR SECTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TAILGATE REPAIR SECTION
    Posted: 15 Dec. 2009 at 11:12pm
O.K I am starting on my tailgate repair and I did some searching and have not found were any body has made a replacement piece for the lower section that always rust out. I thought that I would take the section I cut out to some local sheet metal shops and see if anybody could make these. I need to know the thickens of the tailgate metal as mine is about .060 which is 16 Gage. Is this the correct thickness or is mine worn thin by blasting and sanding. Would there be any interest in these if I find some were to have them made. Or has anybody replaced these before and how did you make them. Here are some pictures of my tailgate and the rusted section I cut off. Thanks, Mike

Edited by mike in oregon - 07 Feb. 2010 at 4:23pm
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
CW48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CW48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2009 at 3:16am
I would be interested in several of them if you have some made. Be sure to check the bends closely as they are somewhat complicated.
Happiness is a Southbend Lathe
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 1:42am
This is a part that I have suggested for a long time that someone skilled enough to make the part would be well compensated for.  Just like CW48 has pointed out it is a complex bend. Almost ALL tailgates are rotted out in this area. a replacement component would be huge here. I'll buy at least two!! 
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

MaineJeep 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaineJeep 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 1:51am
One for me... heck we all need spares make that two.
46 CJ2A 40,077 Rusty & Running
46 CJ2A 28,577 On Life Support
47 CJ2A Runner with Character!
splinterguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote splinterguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 2:28am
Yep, I'll take one please.
1948 cj2a
3 1962 wagons
1951 pick up
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 2:57am
I dropped the piece I cut off at a sheetmetal shop today and the head dude was not there so he is suppose to get back to me to see if they can make it. I will not give up as every tailgate I have seen has been rusted out there. If they could make that bend 60 + years ago some one should be able to do it know. We will See!!!!!!! Mike
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Beedoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 5:23am
Mike,

Would like to put in a request for one.

Fall Creek was my first placed I lived in Oregon prior to attending college in Eugene. The summer of '77 was full of adventure living out on my own for the first time in my life... 900 miles from what was known to me as home.

My short stay their provided a time to learn a bit about rural country life:   Wonderful, cheerful people found off the major highways. Their invitation into there homes and lives was something I had never hear of or experienced prior. If asked, they might even give you their shirt off there back
not to mention a hot meal and a warm room.
Priceless memories!
There must be a special place in Heaven for country folk!

Mark Williams 

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 12:45pm

I'm not near a jeep right now.  Is it just a rolled edge like the window frames?

???

Edited by jpet - 17 Dec. 2009 at 1:43pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
CW48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CW48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 5:03pm
Not exactly....it's more like a capital "B" alphabet letter. The problem here is that it was a "Stamped" part (because of the "Willys" stamping). Willys must have stamped the part, then rolled it over and spot welded it to finish. Seems that if you could do the same thing by stamping the repair piece to form the "B" indention and then rolling it on a press brake you would get it right. Trying to make the replacement part with only a press-brake type of tool could be a little complicated. I think that it can be done, but it will take a little thought to do. I would really like to see someone make some, it is a much needed repair part!
Happiness is a Southbend Lathe
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 5:12pm
I'll look at it when I get home
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

hideandseek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hideandseek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 9:49pm
I am in need of one too!  my is way worse than that one. it is amazing what people will do to hide stuff!  LOL
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 10:01pm
I am interested also. I need one for my '46.

Thanks!

Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2009 at 3:10am
OK I see now.  It looks something like this:
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

.......I need to know the thickens of the tailgate metal as mine is about .060 which is 16 Gage. Is this the correct thickness or is mine worn thin by blasting and sanding. ....
Mine is also 16ga.
Quote ... I thought that I would take the section I cut out to some local sheet metal shops and see if anybody could make these. ..
If you can't find someone to make these, I'll see what I can do.

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2009 at 3:19am

OK JEFF the first sheet metal shop said they could not make them but they are going to direct me to another place that makes motor home parts and think they may be able to do it. I probably wont get to them until next week. If you come up with some kinda tooling that I could use I would be glad to do the labor. Idle hands are something???? They need to be 37" long to do the complete with of the tail gate, I would think that is what we would want??   Mike

Edited by mike in oregon - 18 Dec. 2009 at 3:20am
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2009 at 11:34am
Let's just see what the other shop has to say first.  I have a few other projects that I'm working on right now but I'd be happy to assist if you hit a dead end.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Sharky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2009 at 3:53pm
I made one for my first jeep, using a few G-clamps and a couple of bits of angle iron and a bit of round iron. If I remember correctly the first bend would be the right angle bit that jpet shows in his secound sketch. Then clamp the metal on the edge of a workbench or angle iron with the short bit of the metal plate facing down. Then clamp a bit of round iron on top of it right on the edge, use a thinner diameter round iron to allow for spring back. Then the tricky fiddling bit is to bend the plate over the round iron and down to the right angle bit of the first bend to give the "P" shape in the side view jpet shows. Sorry no fotos, just a tipex sketch on my PC screen. I know it sounds as clear as mud, but from what I have seen on this webb site you guys can do anything. The bend over the round iron will be the longer section of the plate, so when you weld it in place the two edges are not on top of each other, allowing a weld and clean up afterwords with a grinder. Just like in jpets sketch.
Cheers

Edited by Sharky - 23 Dec. 2009 at 4:30am
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2009 at 6:23pm
Here are some pictures of the actual piece we need made. The bends are all more of a radius instead of sharp bends. I will take my piece to the second sheet metal shop Monday or Tuesday.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
nickwarchol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickwarchol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2009 at 4:01pm
Having worked in my father's sheet metal shop I can tell you that most small shops would not have the equipment to make a bend like this.  I also have to do this repair on a '47 2A that I am currently working on.

When I needed to repair one on a '48 2A, about 10 years ago, I used a section of metal tube and then added some strips of sheet metal with some very simple bends to make it look like the original from the outside.   It required welding the sheet metal strips along the entire length of the tube, but when it was done and ground flush, you couldn't tell the difference. 

I'll look around to see if I have any pictures of this repair.   It was before I had a digital camera so I have to locate the original photos to scan.

Nick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>