Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tailgate Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tailgate Repair
    Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 9:37pm
Some photos repairing my tailgate using "Mike in Oregon"s repair section.

Proof that it can be done by anyone with some rudimentary body-working skills.

First a few "before" photos:

I started grinding on bottom of tailgate,  searching for the end of the hinge pin.   Once I found the pin,  I ground a line down the length of pin.   This effectively removed the factory spot weld, and loosened the "tube"s grip on the pin.   After cutting above the tube full length,  it could be removed.    The sabre saw cut is visible in photo.   I elected to cut the tube out first,  then make another full length cut later (shown below) after marking.

Mike's instructions are to completely remove one of the pins,  but I elected to leave them in place.  It is possible to slide the repair section onto one of the pins (with a some hammer persuasion),  line up the other end,  then "center" the section.   With the section in position,  I marked the tailgate for final cut.   The photo below shows the section coming back off, to allow for the cut to be made.

Ready for final cut:

I got rained out,   so more photos to follow.   I will take some tomorrow of the welding etc.   I thought I would start this thread while it was raining. Cry

Edited by JeepFever - 08 Sep. 2012 at 10:00pm
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2012 at 4:34am
Very nice JeepFever. I did not even realize you could slide that on with both pins in place as I replaced my pins when I did mine. Keep up the good work, Mike
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2012 at 3:48am
I forgot to post more photos of progress.   I did not take many,  but here are a couple:

Showing the tack welds:

Finished . . .  The tailgate looks a little rough, because I was trying to keep a older look to match rest of Jeep,   but the repair looks like new.   The weakness,  bowing,  and rust holes are gone.

Overall,  I am very happy with the repair section.

At the time I got this,  the best way to order was to send PM to "mike in oregon"

Edited by JeepFever - 23 Oct. 2012 at 3:18pm
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2012 at 4:05am
Looks great!  
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 4:58am
Can these be saved? . . . register for the Hudson Willys Reunion to find out. LOL
These will be there to see in person.   Mike's sections make it relatively easy, with a grinder and welder.

hmmm . . I can't seem to upload photos  Dead . .  maybe I will try later.

Will try using PhotoBucket for now:

Edited by JeepFever - 06 May 2013 at 5:45am
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:01pm
OK I'll bite....."Why no. Those tailgates are toast. Everyone knows that rust like that dooms those tailgates to the trash bin. I shall attend the Hudson event to see if this Snake Oil Salesman is telling the truth."Wink 
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:44pm
Thumbs Up
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 4:53am
No snakeoil comes from Oregon. LOL   (or Virginia)
Exhibit B:  
(welded in,  light coat of primer,   before body filler or paint)

Edited by JeepFever - 07 May 2013 at 5:01am
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 2:50pm
WOW!Clap 

eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 3:07am

A little documentation gathered at Hudson reunion.  - - >  I made up a "precision" wooden gage for measuring tailgate dimensions:

I went around the parking lot at Hudson reunion and measured every "stock-looking" tailgate I could find.  To my amazement,  the overall height of stock tailgates is VERY consistent.  With my "calibrated"Wink eyeballs, every tailgate was exactly 15".   So if you are planning to replace the hinge section,  shoot for 15" when finished.

I also measured the "overlap" of the hinge area.   This was not quite as consistent but reasonably close.   50% of the tailgates were at 1.50,  40% were 1.55", and 10% approaching 1.60.  The repair section I have from Mike is 1.52,  so it is very close to the average. Smile

w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 3:23am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

A little documentation gathered at Hudson reunion.  - - >  I made up a "precision" wooden gage for measuring tailgate dimensions:

I went around the parking lot at Hudson reunion and measured every "stock-looking" tailgate I could find.  To my amazement,  the overall height of stock tailgates is VERY consistent.  With my "calibrated"Wink eyeballs, every tailgate was exactly 15".   So if you are planning to replace the hinge section,  shoot for 15" when finished.

I also measured the "overlap" of the hinge area.   This was not quite as consistent but reasonably close.   50% of the tailgates were at 1.50,  40% were 1.55", and 10% approaching 1.60.  The repair section I have from Mike is 1.52,  so it is very close to the average. Smile

Bravo!Clap
Keith
My Project
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 3:27am
I thought doing a repair with Mike's "B" section was easy, but the "A" section is even easier. I did not take a lot of photos, but hopefully these illustrate the process I used.
Since the overall height of tailgate should be 15", and the repair section is 1.9", I cut the tailgate to 13.1, using a carpenter square to measure.

Then clamp the repair section in place.   Some touchup grinding was necessary to get the bottom of repair section to be exactly 15" from top of tailgate.  (the long white line on square).

It was easy to weld the section into place at this point.    (actually,  I had some very thin metal in some places,  but hopefully most of you would not have a tailgate as badly rusted as this one)

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 4:18am
I brought that other tailgate to the reunion because I thought the blue one was too badly roached. It looks like your repair will be successful on the blue one. Shoot us a pic of your finished work on that one. Very impressive. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

birddog7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 4:24am
WOW, Thanks for sharing with pictures. I have two to do an was wondering how to how to approach it. Like the wooden gauge.
Birddog
1945 CJ2A
1956 CJ3B
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1946 Bantam Trailer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 4:54am
Very nice JeepFever. I am going to have put you on the payroll.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
 Post Reply Post Reply