Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tall driver comfort tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 5:41pm
Yea the more i look at it, i cant see how thats working,   the rear of the bottom, looks to be at least an  inch or 2 higher,  and with the fender in the cutout area, that part of the seat should be pushed out.  or may the whole bottom of the seat back is away from the frame.  

A picture from the side would be helpful
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 9:08pm

Here is a picture showing both seats, bottom is level, back is not pushed out, very comfortable. I first thought I would have to notch out the seat back around the wheel house but the seat originally set a couple of inches from the wheel house. Because the seat frame was notched out it gained the thickness of the frame. This was just enough to allow moving back the 3".
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 9:13pm

Here is a side view, My problem was not excessive height, it was creaky knees that don't bend like they used to. The extra 3" makes all the difference.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 9:25pm
47 deuce Alpho,

That looks like a genius alteration!  This will make a lot of MB owners and CJ2A very excited.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

Here is a side view, My problem was not excessive height, it was creaky knees that don't bend like they used to. The extra 3" makes all the difference.

Stan    Very clever! If my Willys was in as great shape as yours this would be the way to go. Sadly mine is not.

Maybe do a write up on what you did in another post so others who don't want to cut their tubs up but need that extra leg room.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 10:14pm
Nice jeep. Well done on the seat mod. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 12:02am
Thanks for the comments on the willys, I have truly enjoyed owning it and I have to say the folks on this forum has been a life saver. I'll take some better pictures of the seat mod this weekend and do a post.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 1:43am
Duece,
Thanks for posting your pictures, that is an interesting way to skin a cat. Tonight I placed 1/2” spacers under the front legs of the driver’s seat. Now the seat cushion is 1.5” higher in the front than before. It doesn’t give me any more legroom, but I find it more comfortable.  Will need more seat time to evaluate. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 2:57am
I put spacers under the front mounting points of my driver's seat frame too.  I desperately needed the lean-back as the (almost) straight-up-and-down was causing much back pain.  I'd like to have even more lean-back if I can get it. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:53am
I wanted to circle back and report some short term evaluations of my seat mods. The front of the seat cushion got raised 1 3/4” over stock will spacers under the seat legs and pan. Although it didn’t increase any legroom it did make it much more comfortable. The back of my thigh is touching the cushion now and supporting my weight more evenly. The seat also has a slight increase in its recline angle which helps too. 
I recommend this mod. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 3:30am
Excellent idea!
KC-10ENG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC-10ENG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2018 at 6:46pm
I put 3A wheel wells in my 2B tub when it was restored.    Not the easiest solution but it is invisible to almost everyone.

Edited by KC-10ENG - 04 Nov. 2018 at 6:48pm
1948 CJ2A
Retired USAF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12