Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Targhee: a Moab/Rubicon flatfender build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 5:11pm
So, now that I've figured out how to post pics, here's a couple more for those of you who said you like to see them. 

These are on display in our family room downstairs. The A1 now has 2 1/2" BDS springs under it and larger tires, the "6" started out as a Forest Service Jeep over in Wyoming years ago and that funky looking 2A/3A that we call "Rancher" came off a local ranch. 

The young griz is one of several we've seen on our rides in the Targhee Forest up along the YNP boundary.  It was early in the season, he was hungry, and mostly ignored us while he ate.

Edited by jbjeeps - 16 Aug. 2018 at 5:44pm
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 5:17pm
A stock head can be milled down but it must be done carefully because of the valve clearance needed. A Kaiser Supersonic head is what you need, they have slightly higher compression then stock. Those look like nice GPWs to start with. Does the Jeep with the repro tub still have the T84? I would assume both are still on original axles. All these parts are not known for there longevity in such extreme use so if you do use either GPW you'll be changing out axles or you'll be fishing out axle shafts on the trail. Maybe it is good to consider a 2a or 3a. Have you thought of using one of the Jeeps you already have as Rick G suggested (I think). Just take your favorite trail jeep and go from there. Overtime you can change or tweak things to you liking.

Edited by TateC - 16 Aug. 2018 at 5:22pm
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

A stock head can be milled down but it must be done carefully because of the valve clearance needed. A Kaiser Supersonic head is what you need, they have slightly higher compression then stock. Those look like nice GPWs to start with. Does the Jeep with the repro tub still have the T84? I would assume both are still on original axles. All these parts are not known for there longevity in such extreme use so if you do use either GPW you'll be changing out axles or you'll be fishing out axle shafts on the trail. Maybe it is good to consider a 2a or 3a. Have you thought of using one of the Jeeps you already have as Rick G suggested (I think). Just take your favorite trail jeep and go from there. Overtime you can change or tweak things to you liking.

I sold a Supersonic engine a few years ago, one of those things I wish I'd kept. Cry The repro tub has a later L134 with T90 under it, both GPW's are still on stock axles. I have a lead on an NT Dana 30 front that I'm hoping pans out and I'm still looking for a Dana 44 rear.

I briefly considered using the A1, but I really like it as our trail Jeep so I'll keep it that way. Same with the "6" and the "Rancher". I like them as is so they're off the list of possible candidates. 

So, I'm really starting to lean heavily towards a good 2A or 3A to start with. There's a 2A nearby that could be a good candidate. Waiting to see if the owner can find the title.  

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 6:00pm
Okay, two more "this is who we are" pics, then I promise I'll stick to build thread pics only. Maybe. Who knows. We'll see . . . Smile

The first is at Sheep Falls along the Fall River just outside the south boundary of YNP. Nice little climb down into the canyon to get there. 

The second is yours truly taking a rest after a good ride.

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 6:21pm
How about you and your wife grab one of your running Jeeps (probably “Rancher” since it has flat fenders) and come join us at the Colorado Fall Colors Tour in September?  It is a great time with fun people and a variety of flat fender Jeeps from stock to hardly stock. There will be a couple trails that would be well suited for what you are wanting to build. You would get a lot of ideas about what to build or what not to build. 

I like your trail pics so please keep adding themThumbs Up
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

How about you and your wife grab one of your running Jeeps (probably “Rancher” since it has flat fenders) and come join us at the Colorado Fall Colors Tour in September?  It is a great time with fun people and a variety of flat fender Jeeps from stock to hardly stock. There will be a couple trails that would be well suited for what you are wanting to build. You would get a lot of ideas about what to build or what not to build. 

I like your trail pics so please keep adding themThumbs Up

I've actually thought about that.  I'm an old retired guy with a pretty loose schedule, but my wife still works as a teacher, so getting away can be tough.

What is the date and location of the Fall ride?  

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 6:50pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by jbjeeps jbjeeps wrote:

What is the date and location of the Fall ride?  

Here is the link where you can read all about it. It is located near Nathrop, CO.   Hope you can make it!  

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 7:21pm
Thanks to you both for posting the link. That looks awesome.  I'll have to see what I can work out.

Edit:  I just watched Lee's 1 minute trailer video. Wow!

Jack

Edited by jbjeeps - 16 Aug. 2018 at 7:37pm

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 2:56pm

Well, after several long days of indecision and reading lots of posts I had a long talk with the GPW last night and we both agreed that the GPW's are not going to be the basis for the Jeep this thread is all about. The frames are just too light for the work we want to do. He's in the garage for a tuneup and some other needed work and then back up to the machine shed at the family farm where most of my Jeep stuff resides.

So, we're back to square one in our search.  I'm starting to think about a 3A frame since they are the stoutest of the flatfender frames. Rancher has a modified 2A body on a 3A frame so I may have to take another look at that one. Otherwise, I'm going to look around and see what's out there. 

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 5:31pm
Maybe it's time for Rancher 2.0. A modernized, heavier duty, off road capable version of the Jeep some old rancher slapped together decades ago.  We'll see. Stay tuned. 

snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 1:10am
jb you have had some great advice on your build. By all means get a Jeep going and meet us at the FCT!Great people and fantastic times. Getting out and enjoying your Jeep is a great way to think through what you want to end up with. Sue and I  are blessed that we still wheel with our family. Our little group has gotten quite a few folks into debt, I mean Jeeping. We used to tell people not to spend you money more than once, but let's face it, Jeeps are never really done. You sound like you've already got experience so that's a super start. When you get out with a group that fits your "style" you kind of get an idea of just how hard you want to play. Your Jeep build then begins to come into focus. Blurred but kinda out there. Once you get a feel for what you want to do, tire size plays a decent part in how you build your Jeep. Not just what you can climb, but your drivetrain, power needs, lift (if any) etc. Gearing numbers are cool to talk about, but they are tied directly to your tire size. Axle strength and brakes and steering go the same way. Rigs break do to driving technique and somewhat do tire size. Tri County Gear ran a pro crawler rig with 37's on a Dana 30 and did well. We've seen guys break Dana 60's on 35's. No hard and fast rules, depends on how hard you play. Roho was built on 31's with a Dana 30 in front, and a Dana 44 rear. Except for "belly clearance" it does great. For the 2020 Rubicon trip something bigger is likely. 
Well I like the rest of us in Flatty land look forward to your build and as Bridog said, Missouri is a far piece from you, but we would love to help. 
Hope to "See you in the dirt" soon.

Fuzz

Fuzz
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by snave snave wrote:

jb you have had some great advice on your build.

Yes I have, I’ve really appreciated all the good comments. Thanks for your post, we won’t make it to this year’s color tour but are looking forward to next year’s. You’re right about the builds, they never really end. I’m still thinking about Rancher, plus I found a 2A that’s already got some work done on it so we’re taking a look at it and keeping our eyes open for others as well. I’m still set on an L head build so that’s what we’re spending our time reading about. 

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 3:23pm

Speed Costs. How Slow Do You Want to Go?

I’ve spent the past week or so reading on the 2A Page about those awesome old Jeeps I watched in this year’s Rubicon and Moab videos that Jpet posted. Culminating last night with reading Rick G’s thread on the Rockeater gears he installed this spring.

I realize now that I wasn’t watching any old Jeeps in those videos.  They’re the Formula 1 Jeeps of the Flatfender Jeep rock crawler world!

And they’re not the only ones! There are others I’ve read about here that aren’t in the videos that are equally incredible.

I think it’s great that those guys are doing those builds.  Gives us all something to shoot for. But I don’t have the budget to build one of those machines so I’m going to have to be content with something a little less awesome. I’m okay with that.

I laughed out loud when I read Stan’s comments in Rick G’s thread:

Will non Rock Eaters still be able to hang out with you guys? Are you getting big Rock Eater Equipped stickers for your cowls so that we all know not to mess with you? Will there be a new class added called Locker Stockers are Last Year’s News?  If my transfer case still whines will you not let me play any rock crawling games, like all the other reindeer did with Rudolph? 

This is very concerning to me. Oilly won’t come play on the rocks with me. My Utah friend with a new Rubicon JK only bought it cuz he can take the doors off in the summer. He doesn’t want to endanger it by going on Chicken Corners with me. I may be left driving my rig to the local show and shine by myself where they will ridicule me for the little dent in the hood that I couldn’t quite get straight by running over it with my pickup, and for having too many shifter”

First of all, Grandpa’s Jeep is no slouch. It runs with the best of them. But I hear what you’re saying Stan! I’ll go to the show and shine with you!  You with your dented hood and custom paint job, me with the Rancher’s sawed off 2A body and cobbed on wooden pickup bed. Those show and shiners will be amazed.  Probably put us on the front row and hand us a trophy.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 4:39pm
Just one dent? A few years ago I did all the body work on my 3B and while I was painting it I noticed that I missed a very small dent on the hood. I did not think it was worth my efforts to dig out all of the tools to fix it. That dent is still there. The thing looks like it did when it rolled out of the factory, It still has that dent...
uncamonkey
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 4:43pm
Did I write that? Wasn't I just full of it that day.
I think Rancher is pretty cool.
We poke fun at "Bubba" some here on the forum for the crazy things that he did, but I really think that Bubba was a genius. He found creative ways to keep these rigs rolling and doing the things that he need them to do.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 5:14pm
Sometimes Bubba can do some good things. I bought the 3B and somebody had welded a piece of road grader blade to the front bumper. I've used it more than once. I had about lost the rear crossmember on the B so I tore all the remains off and built a new crossmember and a bumper out of 4 inch channel, I suppose I am bubba. I got the Commando and a person had made up a skid plate for the rear mounted gas tank. I have used it as well.
uncamonkey
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 4:13pm

I brought this home last night. It could be the Jeep I use for the Targhee build.  No engine, solid and rust free frame and body. Yes, I have the inner windshield. No title and the VIN plate is missing, so I'll be talking to the state VIN inspector this week to see if there's some way to get a title for it. 

Seller described it as a '48 CJ2A.  It has the following characteristics, which I've read are typical of a '48:  no bumper gussets, no evidence of frame horn VIN tag and no ACM number. Also, the rear wheel wells are 34" long and the tool box doesn't have a drip channel around it, so I'm pretty sure it's a 2A body.  Although it does a a 3A tailgate with the 4 slots.  The windshield block holes have been filled in and the roof bow brackets were removed at some point.

Edited by jbjeeps - 26 Aug. 2018 at 4:27pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>