Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TeraFlex Low 18 3.15 gears in Dana Spicer Model 18
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TeraFlex Low 18 3.15 gears in Dana Spicer Model 18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 4:32am
Finally got it back together late last night and had a chance to drive it a little after work today. It certainly goes slower in low range! I could easily crawl up the steep little hill in my back field at idle. The gears are also noticeably louder especially in low range, but they also seem louder even in high. Of course they are brand spanking new and maybe they will wear in a bit.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 4:35am
And so far, the T-90 is not popping out of 2nd gear. The only odd thing about the transmission is that when I reverse and let off of the gas, it feels like the brake is on. I first thought I got the e-brake too tight, but it doesn't drag at all with the clutch in. I'm not sure if it's possible to seat the reverse idler shaft too deep? I'll give it good testing this week and see how it feels.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 3:41pm
Obviously calm persistance is required.

So long as you get the bearing fully seated into the T86AA reatiner ...well that's about all that really matters.

Quote   I was fully expecting that, but was surprised by the lack of a relief chamber in the large hole x-case casting.
Yes I was also surprized. 
I expect that your your big hole case was the final cast version. 
I see its marked as a C-18 15 24 -8 version.
Here you can see the -6 version (late 70's)

Quote The larger bearing retainer also interferes with included gaskets in the parts kits, so I was cutting one to fit in the above pic.
I've come across at least 3 or 4 different gaskets in the various Transmission and TC gasket kits.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 3:18am
Had a chance to do some more testing this evening and I'm impressed with the gearing offroad. It crawls up little hills and over logs with a lot more control. I was also impressed with how LOUD the gears are at speed. They make a whining howl starting about 20 MPH. At my top speed (nearly 40 MPH) they absolutely scream. Good thing I'm pretty well already deaf.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 3:49am
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to doing mine sometime this summer.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 5:17am
   Great build-thread here !

I am enjoying trying to digest all this stuff. The transfer case I hope to use with my T-18 conversion is like the one Ken showed us, I think. I have been away from all this stuff for 34-years and am getting reacquainted again.

Probably better to have the bearings fit snug in the Crown brg retainer than too loose.    All this stuff is such a challenge, but much better than working a Christmas Puzzle, but very tedious.

Ha, had to laugh when Lee asked how you got the case so clean.

And we can spend hours cleaning 4-decades of Crud off pieces before we get to begin the "fitment" process.

Len
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

This one is going to be a big hole D18 with a Tera low gear set plus tapered Intermediate shaft bearings.

I put together the D18 in my 3B probably close to 20 years back when the Tera-Lows first hit the market.  While the intermediate shaft that comes with those gears is better than the usual crap that is on the market these days, wear was very evident at 25k miles and it was getting noisy.

Absolutely put the tapered bearings in while you have them apart!!!!!!!  Frankly when one is investing a rather substantial sum in the gear set, I think they should come with those tapered bearings/shaft.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 3:57pm
Man this is getting expensive! I’m getting ready to order all my parts for the same swap and had about talked myself out of the tapered bearings and you go and say that! In the long run I’m sure it will be worth it, I’d rather do it right the first time and run it for the next 20 years than have to keep rebuilding.  I keep putting the stuff in my cart but not ordering. I guess I’m building up my courage, but I’m in no huge rush either. 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 4:13pm
Yeah "IF" you go with tapered intermediate shaft kit.... 
That will go a long way to help quite down the extra noise of the big Tera Low gears in a D18 unit..
The real concern here is that you have to have a brand new TL intermediate gear machined to accept the taper cups.

When building a D20 and TL gears one can get by just fine with a standard type intermediate shaft kit.
That's because the D20 intermediate gear is only under power when engaged into 4WD.
D18 intermediate gear is always under power no matter what gear your in.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 10:32pm
Yeah cutting up an $800 intermediate gear does make me nervous. I’m assuming any semi competent machine shop can handle cutting the gear so it fits, right? I think our mechanic at work knows of a pretty good machine shop that has done some tricky stuff for us. 
Y2GREY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2GREY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 1:51pm
Last summer we installed a "Super 18". It is a complete top line set up by Jack O'brien at 4 Wheels West. It is a 4.86 unit with tapered bearings and man is it quiet...too quiet! Now I can hear every other strange sound the Willys makes!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 3:30pm
Quote I’m assuming any semi competent machine shop can handle cutting the gear so it fits, right? 
From what I hear You'll be very hard pressed to find any machine shop that is willing to try it.
I sent mine off to Mike the Jeep machinist over on ECJ5. 
He's bored many of the Dana Spicer gears but my brand new 3.15 intermediate gear was the was the first Tera Flex that he tackled.
That was a couple years back.
Mike does very nice work.
Zero aftermarket parts

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 4:04am
I finally put the shift tower cover on tonight and took it for a spin. That helped some with the noise. Then I put the windshield down and let the wind slap the sides of my head, and I could hardly hear the gears (or anything else).
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:31pm
So I just acquired a big hole case and I'm planning on installing the TL gear set a piece at a time to spread out my cost a bit. And will incorporate the tapered bearings for a little quiet.  I too, have the -8 housing so looks like some grinding is in my future, good to know as I'll do that before I start the assembly. But in looking at the issues with the Crown bearing retainer, I found that Novak has complete adapter for a reasonable price.  
Anyone have any experience with this one?
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 2:36am
Is this tapered bearing kit the same type as offered years ago?  
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 3:12am
Originally posted by TXtea TXtea wrote:

So I just acquired a big hole case and I'm planning on installing the TL gear set a piece at a time to spread out my cost a bit. And will incorporate the tapered bearings for a little quiet.  I too, have the -8 housing so looks like some grinding is in my future, good to know as I'll do that before I start the assembly. But in looking at the issues with the Crown bearing retainer, I found that Novak has complete adapter for a reasonable price.  
Anyone have any experience with this one?

$70 seemed a little pricey to me especially since you'd get the bearing along with a transmission rebuild kit. 

I'm going down the road of building a T90c/Super 18 myself with the hopes of having it done in time for the Fall Colors Tour. 

Swung by my local jeep buddies warehouse to dig up some cores to scavenge parts from. Scored all this for $200. 

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:15am
That doesn't sound too bad, and as you say, it would hopefully address the issue of fit. Certainly the bearing into the retainer should be the right fit. I already had the bearing and the Crown retainer was about $30.
I see in the Novak instructions they mention the lack of clearance for the reverse idler shaft etc.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

adam18830 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam18830 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 3:03pm
You are bringing back memories and nightmares here,  did this conversion 18 years ago. Used a big hole 20 out of a commando. Then sold the remains of the commando.  T-90 got rebuilt with the lower first and second gear combo.  Cheated and put a PTo and OD unit on it too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>