Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teralow Gear Sets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teralow Gear Sets
    Posted: 31 July 2021 at 10:37am
Installed a Teralow gearset from Herm about 3 years ago. It is now toast. Would like to hear any comments from others that are running this gearset as far as problems, longevity, opinion of quality, etc

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 7:05am
I have two sets. I think that you should not run down trails in 3rd gear at high speeds in low range with them. Shift back to high range. I believe it spins too fast and can gall the shaft with not enough lube. Also make sure it has a full gearbox. It seems to "smell" of gear lube if you do run fast. Just a feeling I get. I believe that Grampa's Jeep, (Stan Fuller) had his get hot from doing this. 

What did you find with yours? 

Oilly 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 10:55am
Should have it torn down by Monday.  I will get back to you

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 4:39pm
I put about 15 years on the set of TeraLows in my 3B.  Those were behind the 381 sbc.  Nary a problem and I use all my gears off road, 4th OD included.

The B is about back on the road again, this time with a sbc 441.  The only change I made to the transfer case this go-around was the addition of AA's tapered roller bearing intermediate shaft.  There were no obvious wear issues with the TeraLows when I installed that shaft.  The gears still looked like new.  That said, that gear set wouldn't fair any better than the stock ones if the transfercase isn't correctly set up and properly lubricated.  I've seen some real messes from inadequate lube-essentially destroying the entire unit, including the case.

Yes, slightly more noisy than stock but I also think they are at least as strong as the stock gears and likely stronger.

Edited by duffer - 01 Aug. 2021 at 4:40pm
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2021 at 1:27pm
Goy mine apart over the weekend. Good news I guess. The Tera-low gears are fine, The bowl gear and the gears inside are welded together and to the min shaft. I will be ordering a new Overdrive along with various other parts. Still cheaper than a new T/C.  Looks like the tube that lubes the O.D. got blocked with something, There was plenty of grease in the case itself.

Regards,

Fltfndr

Edited by Fltfndr - 02 Aug. 2021 at 1:29pm
Fltfndr
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 8:19am
You say you have a T14 right ?
So the T14 is the only Jeep transmission to use the oddball 10 spline main shaft.
This implies the transmission must use either a 10 spline main shaft gear (output) or a 10 spline planetary hub which is used to drive an overdrive unit.

Can you run without overdrive ?
Tera Flex does not make a 10 spline main shaft gear.
There is only one spicer main shaft gear having 10 internal splines and a 29 tooth configuration. 
The 29 tooth means it will only work with 2.46 ratio transfer cases.
So you cannot go back to running without your overdrive unless you go back to the standard 2.46 ratio gear set.

What you have…
The only way to fit T14 with Tera Flex transfer case is to use a 10 spline overdrive which basically is like any other warn overdrive but it has a 10 spline planetary hub to drive the planetary gears.
To retain the Tera Flex gears set you must either locate a functional 10 spline planetary which happens to be the most expensive part of an overdrive.

Another possibility.
You can swap to most any other Jeep Borg Warner transmission.
If you swap transmissions it will be much easier to swap in compatible parts.
You can run 2.43 or 2.46 or 3.15 Tera Low gear sets.
You can still run an overdrive but use one with the much more common 6 spline planetary hub. 
You can match the overdrive bowl gear to any of the transfer case ratios mentioned above.

We just don’t know if your current planetary is serviceable and like you say parts availability remains in question too.

Edited by oldtime - 04 Aug. 2021 at 9:49am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 9:25am
i'm pretty sure I have a 10 spline planetary shaft.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 10:18am
Ken .

Disregard the last message. I did not completely read your las message that completely explains my problem.  My T/C checks out OK and I am sending my OD back to Herm to see what he can do. He says possibly rebuilt by middle of September. No guarantees so I just cancelled my trip to Fall Colors. I still plan on coming to the reunion, but without the jeep. Look forward to visiting with you.

Regards,

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 10:26am
Ok, John, good luck.
I just sent you a pm. 
Let me know if you want that Borg Beck clutch or I will post it FS over on ecj5.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 10:26am
Now I am really confused again. I know my mainshaft is 10 spline so my main drive gear is also 10 spline but how many teeth. Herm say and I thought you said the same thing that tera low does not make a 10 spline 29 tooth main drive gear to use with their tera low.  I  think my present bowl gear is 29 teeth but I may be wrong

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 10:35am
Teraflex transmission main shaft gears ( input ) are all 26 tooth design. Overdrive bowl gears also must be 26 tooth. The Teralow gears have a different pitch than the Spicer main shaft gears and Warn 26 tooth bowl gears. 
29 input tooth transfer (2.46 ratio) cases are a different story.

Zero aftermarket parts

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 10:41am
Bottom line, you MUST use a TeraLow bowl gear. 
You have no other option unless you change out the Tera low gears or the T14.
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply