Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Testing and Support for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

testing imgur 3d party hosting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: testing imgur 3d party hosting
    Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 4:51pm
Just opened an imgur account to test the possibilities of using them for 3d party hosting.

Seems to work. 

I did this from a PC. I uploaded to imgur, then opened the photo and right clicked on it. Clicked copy image address. I then wned to the POST REPLY screen on the CJ2A page. I clicked on the photo icon (the one with the little tree)  and pasted the  url in the Image URL box. (make sure you blank out the preentered HTTP when you past in your URL).

Hit preview to make sure it's working right. and voila. 

I see if I can do this from  my ipad.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 4:58pm
ok, doing this one from the imgur app on my iPad.

Seems to work.

I wonder if I switch over to imgur if they will try to hold my pics hostage like Photobucket sometime in the future.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I wonder if I switch over to imgur if they will try to hold my pics hostage like Photobucket sometime in the future

Don't have imgur so don't know what it is about. Do they have ads or pop ups like PB? If everyone switches to them it would be a matter of time before they hold them hostages and make demands.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

I wonder if I switch over to imgur if they will try to hold my pics hostage like Photobucket sometime in the future

Don't have imgur so don't know what it is about. Do they have ads or pop ups like PB? If everyone switches to them it would be a matter of time before they hold them hostages and make demands.

I've uploaded 1 pic to imgur. I'm just exploring it a little bit. Seems to be about like photobucket, but with less adds. Of course the interface is different and you have to figure that out.

I'm very concerned that they might hold my photos hostage some day, but I'm pretty sure that I will run out of space on thecj2apage sometime. I don't have nearly what jpet has but I'm building up a pretty good bunch of photos. Right now my Photobucket links still work, I paid for the add free version, but according to their publicity, sometime next year my links will stop working.  Honestly, I can't figure out how any of these companies make money with free stuff, and I don't mind giving a bit, but 400 a year is crazy. 
I think Google will someday house all the world's information and then will put it up for ransom in the same way. Our school district just jumped into Google in a big way because all their educational stuff is free but I haven't figured out their business model. Seems like a thinly veiled "cunning plan" to take over the world.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 10:10pm
https://i.imgur.com/7QwLFFhs.jpg

As a trial. Have tried video with no luck. Have you cracked that?
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 10:40pm
Most of my saved photos went away when my last computer died. I have some of them saved on a disk, where ever it's gone to. What sort of irks me is that PB keeps sending me email wanting to sell me things.
Don't think so.
uncamonkey
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2017 at 4:42am
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/7QwLFFhs.jpg

As a trial. Have tried video with no luck. Have you cracked that?

I haven't tried Imgur for videos. I'm pretty into YouTube for videos.

If you click on the little tree icon then pate the URL from your imgur photo it will put it directly into your post. I did it with yours here.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2017 at 8:34pm
Thanks. I can put photos directly from my computer to this forum (with some effort trying to remember the path to my photos). Video is different. Didn't think the forum could take them and thought it would be worthwhile to find a linkable site I could post on. You may be right, I probably need to figure out youtube.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 12:47am

I wonder if I switch over to imgur if they will try to hold my pics hostage like Photobucket sometime in the future.

I hope I'm reading their Terms Of Service incorrectly:

Stuff not to do

.... Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 1:37am
The last, "anything that turns us into your content delivery network" sounds like what I was looking for. Some place to post my videos to deliver to someplace else (here for example). Geez, I'm about to give up. I'm either too old or to stupid to manage in this age.
 Post Reply Post Reply