Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 1949 Build and other Projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 1949 Build and other Projects
    Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 1:54am
This build thread is for a project Jeep being built for a trip to the highest and lowest drive-able points in the the Continental US with a target trip date in 2020 or 2021.  This will be a very stock looking build - with hopefully the best features of the L134 powered CJs.  

I figured I should start a build thread - So here goes.

Here are the major parts on-hand for this build so far:
  - 1949 Frame (good condition- painted black) and good sheet metal (painted - USMC Green)
- 1952 or 1953 Kaiser Supersonic engine out of a Henry J car -  (still in its factory blue paint)
- T90C rebuilt this summer
- TeraLow transfer Case - New from Herm with a Big hole case
- Dana 44 19 spline (need to find a Powerlok for the 44)
- Dana 25 10 spline (I have a undrilled NOS Powerlok for the 25)
- Disc brakes - Geo Tracker conversion (front disc for sure and perhaps rears) 
- Dual Master Cylinder - Herm's deluxe kit
- Ramsey PTO and PTO winch
- Stock Springs (New fronts and Nos Rears)
- two skid plates (will be sandwiched together)
- Factory Draw bar for rear protection
- Lots of little stuff on hand

It will be a 12 volt build with an alternator.

Builds current state:
  • The painted frame is sitting on Jack Stands (still needs some reinforcements at front spring mounting points for the rear springs (Looks like an old repair the need a better fix) and a few captured nuts replaced).
  • I have not pulled the engine apart at all - still has the Henry J car front plate, the Car oil pan, YF Carb , intake manifold  for the YF Carb and a Vacuum advance distributor and the rest of the car  stuff.  The Aluminum Engine Serial Plate on the right side says "Kaiser Supersonic - Willow Run, Mich. 4L134 - SN 3503741".  I pulled the plugs and sprayed WD40 into each spark plug hole and turned the engine over by hand with a wrench.  It puffs air out of 1, 2, and 3 cylinders - but 4 shows no sign of compression. I am expecting a valve is stuck open. The current plan is to soak the No.4 cylinder in some Blaster and WD40 for a week then do a little tapping with a dowel to see if it is just lightly stuck.  I would love to never open up this engine and just get lucky enough to get good compression.  The engine looks like the head bolts have never been re-torqued from the look of the factory engine paint job.

I am always mindful that "No plan survives first contact" but this is the current build plan, idea and dream.  Wish me luck.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 10 Feb. 2021 at 2:02pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 2:11am
It looks like the No.4 intake valve is stuck open.  The valve directly under the No.4 spark plug is in open position all the time.  The No.4 spark plug hole lines up with the intake manifold inlet.
Stev
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 2:46am
Okay Stev, I found your lead-in quite interesting.  Highest drivable point and the lowest drivable point.  Sounded a little scary until I did the research.  If you're trip is from one to the other, it's a 5 hour drive and you don't even have to leave California. Wink

Now, if you're planning to drive the CJ to both points from Ohio, that is scary.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 2:51am
I wish you luck on your project. It sounds like it will be a fun build. It's nice when you start with a lot of the necessary parts already on hand. I should have my butt kicked for all the parts I've let go over the years. If I would have kept everything I had at one time or another, I would easily be able to build another Flatty.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 3:18am
Another Supersonic coming back alive. Mine is 3539447.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 3:31am
Athawk11,

The driveable points high and low from my searches are in CA and CO.  Death Valley is the lowest around Bad Water Bason, CA.  The highest seem to be in Colorado.  My thought is to trailer the 1949 on the open roads.  I am not planning on installing an overdrive.  The Itinerary is very sketchy at this point and will be influenced by others that might attend.
Stev   
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 3:38am
Mike F,

Do you have a YF Carborator on your Supersonic?.   This one has an intake with the mounting studs 90 degrees out from the normal intakes found on L134s.  

Stev 
Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 4:18am
Awesome. Good luck and keep us posted. If this Jeep turns out as nice as your other Jeeps, I'm sure it will do very well.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Mike F,

Do you have a YF Carborator on your Supersonic?.   This one has an intake with the mounting studs 90 degrees out from the normal intakes found on L134s.  

Stev 
No mines got a Solex on it manifold looks like a reproduction. When I got the motor it was just the block and a shaved head. I found a supersonic head. looked a little for manifold and quit. When the weather clears up in a couple months I’ll spen a little more time on the tuning. It’s pretty peppy now but I think it could be a little better. 

Edited by Mike F - 04 Jan. 2019 at 4:31am
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 1:55pm
Stev,

As much as I hate to admit that California beats Colorado in this category, White Mountain Peak appears to reach higher (78’) than Mount Bross in Colorado. 

What might be even more fun; hit 8 of 10 highest drivable roads in the USA.  All in Colorado.  I live here, but have not been on all of these roads.  You might get some locals to join you in this challenge.  Lots of great Colorado Flat Fenders guys around here.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 4:51pm
Interesting about the high and low. I had this on my list but for the State of Oregon along with touching all 4 corners of the State in Chug but then as I researched of course the Beach was the low spot and The Loop Road on The Steens Mountain is the Highest Chug has already done Both when I was driving it in High school.

We also plan a trip to Death Valley so Maybe I will have to add the High point in the continental USA as well. But Chug will be driving there under his own power no trailer allowed. 

Another thing on my list is to Hit as many of the Silvertons in the West as possible.

Silverton Oregon 1854 Oldest on the list is home
Silverton Colorado 1885 the most famous
Silverton Nevada 1931 Ghost Town
Silverton Idaho unincorporated community
Silverton Washington unincorporated community
Silverton British Columbia 2nd smallest town in BC

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 5:31pm
I thought the highest paved road in NA was Mt. Evans in CO.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by clayvt clayvt wrote:

I thought the highest paved road in NA was Mt. Evans in CO.

Ah, you’ve gotta watch the qualifiers:
“Highest driveable road”,
“Highest maintained road”,
“Highest paved road”,
“Highest continuous road”,
“Highest always-open road”,
Etc, etc.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 10:12pm
From http://https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/8261-highest-roads-of-united-states.html

14,252' White Mountain Peak California, gravel
14,178' Mt. Bross Colorado, gravel
14,130' Mt. Evans Colorado, asphalt
14,115' Pikes Peak Colorado, asphalt
13,854' Mt. Lincoln Colorado, gravel
13,803' Mauna Kea Hawaii, asphalt/gravel
13,743' Mt. Antero Colorado, gravel
13,569' Kuss Peak Colorado, gravel
13,540' Mosquito Peak Colorado, gravel
13,392' Peak 10 Colorado, gravel

(I've been up Bross, Evans, Lincoln and Antero)

edit to add:
Looking up the White Mountain Peak road, it seems that it's considered more of a hiking trail even though it's called a "relatively easy jeep road."  Apparently it has a gate that's locked most of the time, so if you were going to drive it you'd need to figure out when it wasn't "most of the time."

Edited by Nothing Special - 06 Jan. 2019 at 10:21pm
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 11:22pm
Wow - lots of roads, and trails to choose from.  Got to love all the Colorado options!

Supersonic update: I did do some light tapping on the intake valve in the No.4 cylinder tonight with a wooden dowel and a dead blow hammer.  IT IS NO LONGER STUCK OPEN!! 

Tried screwing in the compression test gauge to see what kind of numbers it has, but the gauge bottoms out on the intake valves when they are all the way open.  Never had that issue with a L134 before - must be a high compression head thing.  Will need to come up with something to stand off the gauge or just face the end of the gauge with milling machine.

Adding to this post using the EDIT Feature:
There is no way I am going to do this build without doing a good overhaul of this engine.  So that I will post the findings.

Edited by Stev - 05 Jan. 2019 at 12:51am
Stev
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 1:16am
Colorado has 52 peaks over 14,000 ft. but I don't know how many can be driven to the top.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 3:23pm
Time for an update on this project.   

The frame is my current focus.  This is a 3A frame and on the drivers side where the forward mount of the rear spring's perch attaches (under the gas tank) there is a  a repair weld.  I don't know the history or reason for this weld - so I am considering installing a 16" length of 1/4" thick "C" channel into the frame to make sure the frame is solid.  My plan is to do this on both sides of the frame (drivers and passengers side) to keep things balanced.  

So the questions is: Do I install it so it boxes the frame or do I install it so the channel nests into the existing "C" channel of the frame?  I plan of welding and bolting it in place.

Thoughts?  

Thanks,
Stev

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 10:01pm
Question - is it better to go with the CJ2A starter, ring gear and bell housing or to go with the Cj3A starter, ring gear and bell housing?  I am leaning towards the CJ2A system because it can be converted to a push button on the dash with a solenoid.  The Cj3A set up would end up with a mechanical linkage that has to be mounted on the floor.

Any thoughts - (this is a trail Jeep build)?
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>