Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 1949 Build and other Projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 10:34pm
The least number of things for your feet to do in a trail Jeep is best in my opinion.   

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2019 at 12:01am
If you want to go with a pedal on the floor starter let me know. I’m about to change mine out for one that uses a switch on the dash. The pedal thing was kinda neat for a while. Now it’s just an inconvenience that doesn’t need to be. 
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2019 at 1:06am
So now I need a bell housing for a CJ2A.  Gives me something to look for at the Spring Reunion in Aurora, Ohio next month. 

Thanks!
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 12:54am
Little  up dated - Parts keep arriving for this build and the mod to the 1946 for the trip West:

Cj2a bell housing - plus a nos bushing (Spring Reunion Thanks Bruce M.)
Flywheel to install a 97 tooth gear (Spring Reunion Thanks Bruce M.)
Oil pan with a skid plate for the Supersonic
Today heavy NOS rear springs (11 leaves)
Powerloc for the 19 spline nearly NOS  rear Dana 44.

I am going a bit of a different direction with the build.  The  1949 is going to be a Midwest Jeep trail Jeep build and our old 1946 is going to get some upgrades for the trip out West.  The 1946 has some damaged sheet metal so it is probably better for that trip based on watching others on the trails.  Seems to make more sense than potentially damaging the sheet metal we reworked for the 1949 build.

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 2:53am
Working on this project again.  
Spent a few hours sorting out and painting the transmission cross member and skid plates.  Ends up I have a MB cross member and two Cj3A/3B cross members.  Using using a CJ3A/3B cross member and two late CJ2A skid plates (sandwiched together for straighten).  New rubber bushing mounts for the transmission and transfer case.  
Stev
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 3:34am
Just saw this build thread, very interesting and I’ll make sure to check for more updates.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 1:50pm
Mounted the two skid plates (sandwiched together for strength)  to the cross member, the new transmission mount and mounted the T90C. 

Q:   Tested shift pattern again on the T90c - the front gold metal synchronizer keeps getting stuck and locking up the unit - Is this a break in thing? Or do I need to tear down this T90C and replace that new synchornizer?

Test fitted the Tera Low Transfer case - seems to bolt up fine.  

Q:  What is the assemble sequence for the transfer case rubber mount.  Assuming :(From the bottom) Bolt+ washer + fat rubber bushing + passing through the transmission cross-member + cone shape rubber bushing (cone pointing up) transfer case casting whole, lock washer and finally  the nut.

edit for grammar

Edited by Stev - 19 Aug. 2019 at 4:28pm
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 3:29am
Test fitted the transfer case and bell housing tonight on to the T90c assembly.  It is all bolts up clean.  Still having issues shifting through the gears - so I am going to rebuild a shift tower.  I have all the NOS parts on hand so that is next.  
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 3:01am

BUMMER - BUMMER - BUMMER -- So I figured out why the T90c will not shift into 2nd and 3rd.  Last year when I built the T90c I used assembly lube that either was not compatible with gold metal synchronizers or the synchronizers I used were of poor manufacture quality.  The photo shows that lack of points on the synchronizers.  So it is very difficult for them to align and the tapers seems to get stuck to the metal taper of the input shaft.

So Time to replace the synchronizers - the good thing is it was discovered before it was installed.

Better picture of the issue

Edited by Stev - 21 Aug. 2019 at 3:26am
Stev
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

So Time to replace the synchronizers - the good thing is it was discovered before it was installed.

Yes, it could have been worse.  Although, you could still drive it that way; you'd just have to be good at old-time double-clutching.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2019 at 4:03am
Replaced the synchronizes.  It now shift into all four gears.

It was pretty easy. I put the transmission in third gear (important step), remove the transfer case and shift tower.  Then tipped the transmission so it was sitting on the bell housing open end (engine opening down flat on the bench).  Remove the shaft tie plate.  This allowed the rear shaft with the synchronizer hub to  be lifted out of the transmission with a little wiggling.  The large needle bearings stayed in the input shaft.  Remove replaced the synchronizers and reassembled everything.

Edited by Stev - 23 Aug. 2019 at 4:05am
Stev
jeepcj559 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepcj559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2019 at 4:52pm
Nice build and very worthy  trail goal. You have inspired me to try the same thing east of the Mississippi. Time to do some research.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2019 at 2:48am
Worked on the bell-housing - cleaned painted - replaced the stater bushing.

Process to replace the starter bushing:
Take a large drift and insert it in the starter bushing from the engine side.  Drive the steel cover out of the back other bushing hole.  Take drift and drive the starter bushing out the towards the engine opening.

Clean the bushing hole (I used WD40 and a paper towel).  Take a section of all thread and places a nut + washer + bushing pass it through the bell-housing for the engine side.  Put a washer and a nut on back side of the bell housing and tighten the nut to pull the bushing squarely into the bell-housing hole.   The bushing should be flush with the casting face of the bell-housing. 

Place the steel cover the outside of the bell-housing us a dead blow hammer to seat it in the hole it was removed from.

Lube the bushing.

Replace the drivers side rear leaf spring (9 leaf) with a 11 leaf stack spring.  The passenger side  of the tub is 23 -1/4" from the ground.  The drives side was 21-1/2" front ground.  After installing the 11 stack spring pack and jumping up and down on the drivers side-  the driver's side is 23-1/4" from the ground.  I am going to drive it in this configuration for a while.  Going to hold off on adding a second heavy spring pack for now - might lose a lot of articulation with two heavy packs.  
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 2:03am
Q:  How do you hold the transmission from spinning when you try to tighten this nut with the transmission out of the Jeep?  

Every transmission/transfer case I have disassembled these are just hand snug to the nearest slot in the castellated nut.

Stev
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 3:03am
Open the top and put it in 2 gears, or wedge something between the gears you see in the photo.

BOULDER 48 2A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 3:03am
Is the top off?
Put it in two gears at once.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 3:32am
Great - I will put it in two gears to hold it.  Thanks!
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 4:00am

Did a final assembly of the T90c + TaraLow transfer case + parking brake + Bell housing + Ramsey PTO this evening. Everything seems to work when turned by hand.  So we will see.  Hope to install it this weekend as part of a major over all of the trail Jeep.
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>