Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 1949 Build and other Projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2019 at 11:04pm
The trail Jeep is on jack stands  - today we pulled the engine and T90A transmission and D18 transfer case and installed the T90c and TaraLow transfer case.  Did it in the driveway - we got a nice thunderstorm this afternoon.  

Post some photos tonight
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 3:22am
The start of the weekends work.

Edited by Stev - 01 Sep. 2019 at 3:30am
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 3:33am

Engine coming out

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 3:37am
Painted L134 1946Engine painted, new clutch, pilot bushing, New pressure plate, fixed an exhaust stud, and new spark plugs.  
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 3:39am
T90C and Tara Low installed

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 3:42am
Progress at the end of day 2.  Painte engine in under the blue tarp.End of the day.

Stev
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 5:48am
How low does that pto hang down? I’ve pondered a Pto winch In mine but more junk hanging down to bash on rocks makes me nervous. 

Edited to fix stupid typos and auto correct non-corrections

Edited by smfulle - 01 Sep. 2019 at 4:03pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 12:39pm
Progress in leaps and bounds when you work with the big pieces Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2019 at 2:31am

Here is a shot of the PTO with its skid plate.  Note that the PTO skid plate mounts to the top of the transmission skid plate (two skid plate bolted together).  So the PTO is higher than the cross member.

Edit to add a photo of the PTO skid plate from the trail Jeep and a spare on hand.  The one dirty one is about 10 years old and has seen a fair amount of uses.  It is the one in the photo above also.

Edited by Stev - 02 Sep. 2019 at 2:56am
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2019 at 2:34am
Ross Steering box getting new bushings and sector shaft.  You can see the grease fitting on top of the box for the bushings.

Edited by Stev - 02 Sep. 2019 at 2:37am
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2019 at 2:39am
Engine is back in the Jeep.  Still need some assembling.  Hope to drive it tomorrow.

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 2:22am

Day 4 pictures 
PTO Clearance.  Took this picture while adjusting the clutch cable.
New Felt for the mouse to build nests with installed!

Oil bath air cleaner bracket repaired.

Overhaul complete 1946 with the T90A removed and the T90C/Taralow installed.

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 2:31am
Ramblings about this 4 day job. 

Finished assembling the rest of the way.

Started the Jeep and it did not want to idle. Cleaned out Jets in the carb and adjusted the timing with a vacuum gauge (21 pounds at idle - sitting at 800 feet above sea level).  Still ran poor but improve once it warmed up.  Seems to be running Okay now.

Drove the Jeep for about a mile.  The Tara-Low is a noisy compaired the the T90A. The T90C makes noise in 3rd gear (Any ideas why - all new parts).  

Hope things quiet down after some brake-in driving.  Only about 1.3 miles on it so far. 

Edited by Stev - 03 Sep. 2019 at 2:34am
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 3:00pm
Some additional thoughts - So after 4 days of work - I now have a Jeep that takes more effort to steer, has a really stiff clutch, does not like to shift (some double clutching) and is noisy to drive.  Just have to drive it an see how it goes.
Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2019 at 3:43am
Smile  Sounds like Jeep mods to me!  You got about 2 years worth of work done this weekend, nice!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2019 at 2:01pm
You probably already checked all this stuff but just to be sure, make sure no metal is touching anywhere and creating a megaphone.

Are you sure the noises are louder, or just "different" Usually, when I change something, the jeep tends to be "louder" in my mind and after I drive it a few weeks, I don't notice it anymore. This is something I experienced when I went to the Teraflex gears. Eventually, I changed out to the tapered bearing intermediate shaft in the transfer case. I have heard lots of testimony that the tapered bearings reduce noise in the TC. I'm not sure if I thought it was quieter but the tone was more pleasant. IMO, the teraflex gears do produce a different tone than the stock gears. These gears are cut and hardened. I have been told that they are not reground after hardening but I don't know this for fact. To me, the low range capability is worth it.

If you are convinced that the noise is a problem, and since you are having problems shifting, you might focus on the transmission. In my experience, transmission problems can produce noises that sound like its in the transfer case. You might read the last post I made in my own build thread.

HTH
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2019 at 7:23pm
Thanks - Jeff.  I think I need to just drive it.  Everything is tight.  I will put 50 miles on it and see if it settles in.  

Bob
Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2019 at 10:12pm
You guys know I'm deaf, but I sure can hear my Tera-Flex gears. They really howl. In 3rd gear in the tranny should be direct drive through the trans and the transfer case SHOULD be where most of the noise is coming from, right? Mine gets it's best voice just about 30 MPH. I also had a lot of trouble shifting the trans initially and backing up seemed to bind, but I shimmed my trans to eliminate popping out of 2nd. That part worked out well, and now after a few miles it is shifting easier and I don't notice anything in reverse anymore.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>