Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 1949 Build and other Projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2021 at 3:27pm
1946 Rubicon build (Last minute decision to attend this years trip 12 days out).

1946 will be limited slip in the front and Lock Right the rear, L134, T90C with Tera Low with PTO Winch (not installing the OD / Just don't have timeErmm - the road march back to Loon Lake...), Front disc brakes, Rear 9" drum

Last minute vehicle work on the 1946 - Log of the work being done to finish the Jeep the weekend before the trip:
13 Days Out:
  • Installed a Lock Right in a 10 spline Dana 44, rebuilt the rear brakes (ordered new rear drums), changed the axle seals.  This axle is sitting on the floor of the garage at this point.
  • Replaced the stock cover on the Lock Right (rear) axle with the heavy IH Scout Dana 44 cover - added a vent and the inner splash deflector for the vent.  Front Dana 25 already has a heavy cover.
  • Fabricated and Painted parts for the skid plate extension.
12 Days Out:
  • Installed M170 style spring shackles with side plates on the front springs (rears already have these installed).  
11 Days Out:
  • Installed new copper radiator (ran the engine to temp - running now at 175 degrees with 170 degrees thermostat (was 190 degrees with 170 degrees thermostat) 
  • Installed old fan shroud on new radiator
  • Drilled 1/8" hole in thermostat
  • Installed more radiator horse hair (future mouse bedding)
  • Installed one (left front) of the new Big Willy Spring plates (3 to go) - ground clearance is 10.5" now vs 9.75" before (plus the shock mount is up out of the way now)
  • Installed NOS (heavy version) side plates on the rear M170 style spring shackles (replaced  aftermarket ones that are thinner) also added washer as spacers.
10 Days Out:
  • Fabricated a side exhaust that crosses the front skid plate, turns up and runs inside the frame rail up over the rear axle and exits through a MB muffler on the drivers rear corner (all to get around the PTO winch drive line and keep the exhaust protected from rocks) Still need install the exhaust hangers.
  • Mounted a three ply skid plate on the transmission cross member.  It required longer bolts 
  • Topped off/filled the transmission and transfer case.
9 Days Out:
  • Installed the rear skid plate for the parking brake and PTO.  This is made from a 3A crossmember and two additional stock transmission skid plated mounted 180 degrees out of the stock orientation. Adds about 12" more of protection to the rear. 
8 Days Out:  Rear end work
  • Installed the rear axle with the Lock Right.
  • Installed new rear brake drums.
  • Installed new rear pinon seal - Installed this backwards -so that needs to be redone.
  • Work on the exhaust some more.
  • Bleed the rear brakes
  • Installed the rest of the Big Willy spring plates
  • Test drove the Jeep on the driveway hill - Rear end and brake seem Ok.
7 Days Out:  Front end work
  • Installed the button heads bolts in the steering knuckles (at the 10,2, 5 and 7 o'clock positions).
  • Cut the tapers and installed the inserts for the tie rod flip (knuckles  are done - still need to do the bell crank at this point)
  • Packed the wheel bearings, packet the king pin bearings, checked the axles and lower king pin race - all look good.
6 Days Out:
Panicking about the tie rod flip - not sure it is going to work with the stock steering configuration of tie rods and tie rod tubes.
  • Installed the drive flanges.
  • Filled the knuckles with corn head lube.
  • Filled the limited slip with friction modifier and gear lube
  • Confirmed that the Tie Rod Flip geometry with the stock bell crank configuration will not work.  Going to have to the M38a1 tie rods in the stock configuration.
5 Days Out:
  • Installed the M38a1 tie rod set
  • Aligned the front wheels
  • Greased the front end
  • Trimmed low hanging U bolts
  • Adjusted the PTO idler bearing
4 Days Out:
  • Finished the exhaust
  • Welded a few patch supports on the tub
  • Started work on the clutch arm skid plate
3 Days Out:
  • Completed and installed the clutch peddle skid plate (modified Stan's design used 5" wide 1/4" stock)
  • Replace the pinion seal - installed it correctly this time
  • Test drove -found out that the bell crank was not centered - so realigned it and did another alignment of the front tires.
  • Did a dry hard surface 4 mile road test drive in 4 wheel high to see what would break.  Got to 40 mph.  Everything held together.
The planets just came out of alignment Embarrassed - and we are not going to make this trip.
- We are now going to be down a person in the office during this trip - "perusing another opportunity with better work life balance".  This will give us time to address the OD and the roll bar properly for a future trip.  Wow, what a wrenching sprint this has been!  All the best to the guys actually making the trip.

Reconfiguring for normal Mid Western use.  Put the lockout hubs back on.  Also reinstalled the steering stabilizer with some larger U-bolts to fit around the large diameter M38A1 tie rods.

Edited by Stev - 21 July 2021 at 10:23am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 3:24pm
You're making great progress! Overdrive shouldn't take more than 5 hours to install, assuming you need to heat up and bend the shift lever away from the tcase lever.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2021 at 8:51am
Nick - I still have a long punch list.  Days of wrenching and fabrication still to go (6 Days out - still logging progress on the list above).   I expect to be wrenching in the parking lot of some hotels heading West next week - always something else address.

Currently I am panicking over the tie rod flip.  I think I am going to have to have custom tie rod tubes made this week to make this work.  Currently trying to figure out the lengths.

Update:  Measured and check the angles on this and the tie rod flip will not work with the stock bell crank configuration.  The tie rods hit the bell crank.  

Edited by Stev - 13 July 2021 at 8:40am
Stev
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 10:14pm
Keep up the great work!  I'm enjoying watching your progress but I know exactly how it feels to have an event looming and still lots of work to do on the jeep.  I'm sure all your hard work will pay off big time with great performance at Rubicon!  Have fun with it - you're almost there!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 10:44am
So sorry to hear your trip is cancelled after all the hard work prepairing for it.  At least you made huge progress on your jeep so it's ready for your next adventure.  Now that you've got a little more time, post some pics of the work you've done.  Looking forward to seeing you in October!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 10:00am
Added pictures above.

Plus these are other projects that got addressed

Bow bracket holder for the bow

Older project - mirror transport strap.

Better picture of the Bomber Seat
Stev
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 10:15am
Looking good! ... are you sure you can't make RT?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 11:07am
Love to but - it is just too crazy here - pushing the work, life, Jeep balance.   This gives me time to  address the OD/PTO winch adapter install and the roll bar needs a redo.  We are doing a drown our sorrows trip on Thursday to Tar Hollow for the day and will spend the afternoons next week working on  the 1949 project.

All the best to you guys on the RT trip!  Looking forward the videos 

Edited by Stev - 19 July 2021 at 11:10am
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 8:50am
So, the guys are hopefully having a great and uneventful maintenance morning out on the Rubicon Trail today.
This would have been day two and I would be waking up to a failed rear passenger side axle seal. - I used The Saint on Thursday out on the local trails and Friday morning there was gear oil pouring out of the center hub.  It took about 4 hours to disassemble and replace the seal.  I think a contributing factor to this problem is that the heavy duty Dana 44 cover has its fill hole about 5/16" higher on the cover, so the fluid level is higher in the differential.  So at least I am not holding up the trip today.

Edited by Stev - 26 July 2021 at 8:51am
Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 9:37pm
Wow, good timing!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 11:50am

Yes, not a fun trail trail fix for sure.

This week:  Working on the 1949.  Got the sheet metal painted Gray, Wheels mounted, rolling frame is getting the ancillary systems installed.  Installed a sealed bearing in the front of the transmission and new yokes & Seals in the transfer case.  Hope to have the tub mounted this week.

Edited by Stev - 27 July 2021 at 11:54am
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 9:00am

New Project - Jpets Lower Transfer Case Gears with the PTO output cog gear to drive the front PTO winch!  

So, I am the Novice Level guy that is going to try this in his garages.  I have a NOS large hole 1-1/4" case that need its fill hole drilled and pipe tapped for the fill hole as a starting point.  Plus parts from a few 1-1/8" small hole cases.

On hand are most of the parts needed.  I still need a few items but hopefully they can be sourced with the supply chain craziness.

Here is what I have in addition to the Case:
JPets Gear set
Novak's 1-1/4" Transfer case rebuild kit
Novak's deep transfer case pan (might not fit)
Bob W's recommended Sealed front bearing from eBay
Bearing adapter for the large hole case to the T90
Barry's Builds large whole 3D printed case cutting guide for the 1-1/4"

If I screw this large hole case up plan B is to use one of the small hole cases.

Edited by Stev - 22 Sep. 2021 at 9:02am
Stev
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 9:04pm
Hi Bob,  Glad to see you're getting started on yours.  I'm coming down the home stretch on mine.  I'm confident you'll do fine - this was the first time I ever had a transfer case apart.  It's a fun project! 
 On my next one I'd like to try one of Jeff's stamped covers. 
 I had to make sure I went real slow and methodical while cutting and clearancing the case - it's a lot harder to put material back on! 
 I'm wrestling with what to do about the sealed transmission bearing and different oil in the t-case.  I still have the brass thrust washers on the intermediate shaft and am worried about the new gear oil eating them up.  Opinions? 
I'll be real interested in how the Novak pan fits and what you have to do for clearance.  I like that it holds more gear oil - seems like that, plus being made of aluminum, would keep things cooler.  Also as Stan says - It looks Purdy!
Have fun!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 11:36am
Lower Gears Case Cutting guide Large hole Case photo
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 11:39am

Something Fun - NOS Keys and Lock set for the Key coil on the 1948.
Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2021 at 9:23pm
Nice!

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2021 at 9:53am

Progress on the Lower Gears - case cut for the gear.
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 11:07am
Some small progress on the big hole lower gears transfer case - Drilled and tapped the 1/2" pipe thread fill hole in the case boss.  

Still figuring out what to do for a cover where the case was cut.  I have not drilled the through hole in the case for the extra long bolt -  trying to find another method.  More coffee is needed - thinking  of trying a 1 inch long 3/8" Allen bolt and a simple sheet metal cover for the hole.  Might be able to mill a flat around the cut hole and use a flat sheet metal cover attached with JB Weld.  

Thoughts?
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>