Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 1949 Build and other Projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2019 at 10:58pm
Bob,

That's my hope, that there is some kind of break in.  Glad to hear your's improved with some miles!  We can compare how much noise they make in October at the Ohio Fall Colors event.

Thanks,

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2019 at 3:56am
Reading the Mechanic'sManual tring to figure out this problem it says "noise in low gear - service diagnosis - Shifting Gear Bent".  Any one know what a Shifting Gear is?  So far my guess is they are talking about the sliding gear in the transmission..

Any ideas?
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2019 at 2:52pm
Still I have no idea what the shifting gear or shifting shoe is.

I am thinking about putting this Jeep in 2 wheel high with the transfer case in and the transmission in neutral and flat towing it for 30 miles to see if it settles in.
Stev
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Still I have no idea what the shifting gear or shifting shoe is.

I took that to be the shifting fork(s), and the term "gear" to be generic, as in "running gear" or "get your gear"

YMMV
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2019 at 3:22pm
Mbullism - Thanks - I will switch out the shift tower and see if the noise changes.

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2019 at 11:58pm
Drove the 1946 Trail Jeep off road for about an hour and a half today after flat towing it about 40 miles to a farm to do some fence work.  It is still noisy but shifts better and the steering has settled in.  The Jeep is running fine.  Low range is noisy But Man will this thing climb! And it will climb slower than any of these old Jeeps it have ever owned. 

High range seems good - noise Okay.

Flat Towed it back home all seems good. 

Edited by Stev - 08 Sep. 2019 at 12:00am
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2019 at 9:16pm

Here is the information on the skid PTO Skid plate.

1/4 in thick or use two 1/8" thick plates.

I start with flat sheet that is 17.5" (L) x  12.5" wide.  Remove the upper left corner the short sides be come 12.5" (bottom in the picture and 7.5" (left side in the picture).

From Left to Right:  The plate is level for 10 1/4" then angles up at 142 degrees and the rise is 5.5" long.  The back to level for the last 1.5"

The left side bolts to  the existing transmission skid plate (on top of it) and the right side gets bolted to the bottom of the frame rail.

Let me know if you need more on this.

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 2:00am
Made an attempt to rebuild the inner windshield on the 1946 - it looked Okay, but once take apart it was rotten on the inside where the edge of the glass sits and the seal goes.  Ordered inner windshield and it arrived today.  Going to drill and spray the inner channel with Waxoyl to try to stop this on sent of the inner rust.  The plan is to reuse the old glass but mount it with modern window adhesive / caulk.
Stev
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 2:54am
Why not use window setting tape?  If you treat the glass seat against rust, the tape should be easy to install and it's the proper stuff to use.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 3:13am
Not being an expert on widow glazing but the material I removed that was holding the window glass was not tape.  It was some sort of cloth or canvas that held moisture against the inner windshield channel.  It is a poor design and has been discontinued in use with the Cj3A and going forward. I am going to use 3M 08609 to install the old glass.  

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 7:54pm
In the end, I am using a window gasket from Walcks 4x4 to set the glass.  Will probable put some 3m  #08609 between the gasket and the frame - so it will not hold water.

Prepped and primed the inner windshield frame.  It is interesting how the modern replacement frames are not as nicely made as the originals but it looks like it will work fine.

Edit - grammar  

Edited by Stev - 23 Sep. 2019 at 2:50am
Stev
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 3:07am
I can't remember what I took out of the inner frame, but I don't think it was a fabric item.  Window setting tape is just a thin rubber strip. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2019 at 2:40am

Old canvas used to mount glass in the inner windshield frame.

Corner brackets - the new frame does not have these.

Windshield brackets are mounted in the wrong spot on the new inner windshield.

Edit - More detail - Ended up doing a lot of work to make this new inner windshield frame work.  The 3M caulk was the only option due to the narrow channel for the glass.  Probably 7 hours of work to make it work properly.

Edited by Stev - 23 Sep. 2019 at 2:45am
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2019 at 1:43am
Been hot here so fallowing Bob Evens' lead = painted some stuff with enamel.

Edited by Stev - 01 Oct. 2019 at 1:47am
Stev
Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2019 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Old canvas used to mount glass in the inner windshield frame.

Corner brackets - the new frame does not have these.

Windshield brackets are mounted in the wrong spot on the new inner windshield.

Edit - More detail - Ended up doing a lot of work to make this new inner windshield frame work.  The 3M caulk was the only option due to the narrow channel for the glass.  Probably 7 hours of work to make it work properly.

Looks good, I believe I will have to replace my inner windshield frame also.  What brand and who did you purchase it from?

-Tommy
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 3:23am
Tommy,

It is a Omix-Ada inner windshield.  It was about $215 from a guy on ebay that is in Southern Indiana - chose this vendor base on price and proximity to Cincinnati.

If you buy one of these inner windshields you will not be able to use windshield tape or rubber and will need to use windshield caulk to install the grass.  You will also need to reuse your old inner windshield 90 degree brackets pictured above (third picture up) as the new windshields don't come with them.  You will need to do some trimming of the area where they are installed in the upper sides of the frame.  Check the pivot arm placement to make sure the new pivot and your old arms will work together.  I had to mill the pivot arm holes to make them work with the inner frame.

Things to do to get better results:
1.Check to make sure the lower sections of the new inner windshield frame is square at the corners.  If needed re-square and reweld to square.
2. Trim the upper corners so the old upper corner brackets will fit into the new inner frame.
3. Spray the inner channel (hollow center cavity) with rust inhibitor of some type.
4. Test fit the glass and adjust the upper channel to accept the bottom section and corner pieces.
5. Sand and paint all surfaces of the inner windshield frame.
6. Mask off the painted surfaces - they need to be protected from the window glass caulk.
7. Check to make sure the outer windshield top channel is straight by test fitting the new inner top channel - spray silicone lube in the channel. 
8. Apply caulk and assemble the windshield.
9. Clean off extra caulk with paper towels and acetone/or/other cleaner (where gloves and change them often).
10. Drill holes for windshield wiper motor, center latch and corner brackets. 
11. Use silicone lube to help install the outer windshield weather gasket.

Stev

Edit for typos

Edited by Stev - 08 Oct. 2019 at 1:28pm
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2019 at 2:38am
Did some testing today as to how steep a grade this Tara Low with the T90c powered by a L134  setup would idle up.  In low range 1st gear - It will idle up a 5% grade and struggle on a 6% grade.  In low reverse, it will climb the 6% grade but dies 7 to 8 degree grade.  Need to try this with a stock t90a and standard transfer case.

Had a Bendix bolt shear off today.  Replaced it with another modern production Bendix - Odd thing is that this is the second modern production Bendix in about 6 years ( or 600 miles) with the same bolt shearing issue also the light spring was gone on the front.  Need to add Bendix bolts to trail must carry box.

Edit - grammar

Edit - My brother's CJ7 will the straight 6 and no special gear will idled up this grade test will no issue - so horse power trumps gearing for now on the stall test.  The 1946 is climbs it slower.

Edited by Stev - 14 Oct. 2019 at 1:31pm
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2020 at 3:26pm
It has been a few months -  no snow plowing this year - we had a light winter.  With the early spring, I am going to pull the Snow Plow.

I did get a lever fuel pump to install on the 1946. Hoping this helps with priming during times of infrequent use.   It is on hand, so it will get checked off soon.

The overdrive from Herm should be here on Friday, assuming the country is still shipping stuff through the end of the week.  It will go between the Tera-Low and the Ramsey PTO on the 1946 trail Jeep.  I have an old Warn Overdrive/ PTO adaptor unit that I am hoping is servable.  The winch drive shaft will have to be extend and probably add a second pillow block on the drive line (depends on  if the world is still shipping if I can complete this project before Summer).  I will also have to redesign my PTO skid plate since this will add to the overall length.  Has anyone done this set up with the Tera-Low?

Stay safe during the pandemic - My wife keeps point out that we need to be extra safe - so we don't get hurt and end up in the hospital.
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>