Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 1949 Build and other Projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 1:41am
I installed one of the lever style WWII fuel pumps on the 1948.

Standard size but the inlet and outlet sides of the pump are switched.  So I had to make up some fuel lines.  If you plumb the WWII pump the usual way, the pump just blows bubble in the gas tane (yes I tried this).

There is a spark issue with the 1948.  Might add a thread on the technical issue - Just to see what others might think is the problem.  

UPDATE Edit:  Spark is fixed.  I poured parts into the ignition and in the end it is hard to say what it really was.  My guess since the coil tested good is that it was the primary connection that passes through the distributor housing to the points and condenser that was loose or corroded.

Edited by Stev - 04 May 2020 at 4:37pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2020 at 4:07pm
Starting the 1949 assembly.  Some progress

Got to love the sideways pictures from not holding the camera the right way.
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2020 at 9:16pm

Two Supersonics - Going with the black one - It already has the correct front plate on it.

Stev
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2020 at 3:48am
Nothing wrong with a supersonic. 

Only thing better than a supersonic is two SuperSonics Wink
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 2:06am
Looking good.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:59pm
Update:
Installed the dual brake master cylinder bracket (Herm's)
Cleaned and painted the Supersonic L134 engine
Installed New = the ring gear, pilot bushing, Starter bushing, clutch pressure plate, clutch linkage, clutch, pedal arms, pedal  tube.

Installed the M38A1 tie rod group.

Installed the engine - it was a little difficult to mate up the last 3/4"- Did not ream the pilot bushing.  Tested the clutch and the pressure plate releases nicely! But the input shaft is holding fast to the pilot bushing.  I have replaced a lot of pilot bushings and never had to ream one.  But I guess next weekend I will be reaming my first pilot bushing!

Also painted all the new parts.  
Stev
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:30pm

Last week I measured two new pilot bushings that I have had for awhile and both were under sized by about .006. I don't remember who I bought them from.  Chucked them in a lathe and bored them out to size. At first I thought that the press fit was causing it, but when I measured one that wasn't never installed it measured the same under size.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:49pm
Worked on the Ross Steering rebuild.  All was going awesome - changed the bushings, reamed the bushings, added the grease fitting in between the bushings, disassembled the box.  Found a oil way between the lower box and the bushing area - I had never seen before (I have a picture if anyone wants to see it).  Took the shaft and tried to remove the remnants of an early steering wheel.  First put a steering wheel puller on it - no movement.  Used some heat on it - while the wheel puller was loaded - struck it with a hammer - added more heat- more pressure with the wheel puller - hit it harder - more heat- more pounding.  Still stuck.  Thought about using the 4" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel but the 20 ton shop press with a bearing splitter looked like a sure bet.

So put it in the press and squashed the threaded portion.  Remnants of the old steering wheel are still in place.  So that one is done.  Hope to pick up another on tomorrow and start over.
Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:56am
Bummer.  If the day starts well, look out.  If things don't go well at first, keep going, it will come together!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2020 at 3:23pm

Put a set of Ian's rock sliders on the 1946.  Some good Some bad welds.  They are really nice.

Did pick up used Ross steering box for the second try on the steering.  

Edit to add Ian's Link:

Edited by Stev - 20 July 2020 at 3:26pm
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 3:24pm
Some progress on the 1949.  Pulled the engine back out.  Reamed the pilot bushing and reinstalled the engine.   It was still a struggle to get the engine and bellhousing to mate - Which I find interesting - guessing the clutch splines and the input shaft might be tight.  Tested the clutch and it now disengages properly! Installed the thermostat housing.

Cleaned the outer surfaces and painted the Ramsey PTO winch.  Everything turns but will require a disassembly and servicing before installation.  
Stev
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

guessing the clutch splines and the input shaft might be tight.

I always slide the clutch over the input shaft before installing on the engine. Sometimes there's gunk/rust on the trans that makes it a tight fit.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 5:56pm
I agree a clutch fit test would be good - but the clutch was brand new with no rust and the input shaft was original - so perhaps the new clutch's splines are out of specification.  I did test the pilot bushing to the input shaft.

Nick,  Any plans for a 2021 trip out West?
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2021 at 2:30pm

1946 -  Bomber Seat mod complete.  Used parts from a scrap passanger seat lower frame for the rails.

Nice gravity defying picture.
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 8:47pm
The wheels for the 49er are back from being chemically stripped and need to be primed be for they start to oxidize. Shiny clean metal.  $24 each.  

They will dip a Jeep body for $575 - very tempting - but to much work to do on my other build to deal with painting the 49er's sheet metal after a dip now.  If we get another lock down and everything gets cancel, it will get into the Que.

The 1946 special build is under way.  Most of the parts are in.  Still need to order 1 or 2 Lock Rights and figure of the roll bar upgrade.   I have not decided about the front axle traction control - whether it keeps the limited slip or get a Lock Right like the rear.

The bomber seat was inspired by Jpets build.  Tacked it up and installed it not knowing if I would like it or not.  Actually really is amazingly nice.  Finished the welding, painting and install last weekend. 

I picked up a off spec front bumper that is 3/16" thick to cut down to make one like Stan's with short wings.  It is my project for this weekend, also have to mount the winch hause on the inside, so it will have a clean flat front to improve the approach angle.

Ordered the bolts today for the spindle bolt upgrade- button socket cap screws to work with the Geo Tracker Disc brake conversion.  They are 3/8-24 x1 3/4".  Standard configuration for the bolts at 3 and 9 o'clock.  10, 2, 5 and 7 o'clock get the button socket cap screws coming from inside the steering knuckle.  Also have the M38 heavy tie rod kit on hand - evaluating whether to doing a tie rod flip.  

Lots of other parts, just need to drive this against the time line.

Edited by Stev - 19 Mar. 2021 at 12:02pm
Stev
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 9:07pm
I got a bid for chemically stripping a jeep tub and it was $1600! If it was only $575 I wouldn’t be able to get my money out fast enough. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 11:10pm
Your doing a great job!  It's really coming along fast.  You got me thinking about a tie rod flip.  I'll be interested in how you do it.

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2021 at 1:05pm

Some progress:

• Bumper Trimmed to 37.5 inch  - Saved the trimmed wings and will weld a section of channel to them so the can be re-bolted on if desired in the future.
  • Winch Hawse moved to the backside of the bumper
  • Flat tow mount removed
  • Hood hat channel re-welded on drivers - may add the second set of hood latches 
  • Replaced the clutch intermediate linkage rod with a dual yoke style intermediate linkage rod
  • Welded up the Big Willy Spring plate brackets (would be nice if there were weld instructions with that kit).
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>