Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The E-brake trick does work with TrueTrac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The E-brake trick does work with TrueTrac
    Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 2:42am
Today I came up on a fairly steep little climb with a twisty section.       I was sure there was no way it would make it in 2wd so pulled the 4wd lever.   My '2A has e-locker in front and TrueTrac in rear.   I debated on activating the front locker,  because I wanted to "tread lightly" and not spin tires.    Instead I decided to see if it would make it without the locker.     As I suspected,  it started spinning when it got crossed up.  (Open in front, and the TrueTrac was basically open because one tire had very little traction)

Instead of activating the front locker,   I thought I would try the emergency brake trick again.  (I tried testing it when I first put in the TrueTrac,  but it did not seem to make difference)  To my amazement,  it crawled up that section without slipping a tire at all.  Shocked     It worked this time!

In another thread Nothing Special described how this works,   will share that for reference.  

Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

. . .
On the other hand a Truetrac is completely free when going around corners, but will transfer more torque to the tire with more traction.  That means it completely avoids what I find annoying in clutch-type limited slips.  Also, unlike a clutch-type that adds a set amount of torque, a Truetrac multiplies, giving something like 3.5 times as much torque to the tire with more traction.    If both tires get some traction it will almost always not spin just one tire.  But if one tire is in the air it send 3.5 x 0 = 0 to the other tire,    and you sit there.

But the Truetrac is the diff that actually works with the e.brake trick.  Set the e.brake and it now takes more torque to spin the tire that's in the air.  That amount is multiplied by 3.5 and sent to the tire that's planted.  Of course 1x of that needs to go into slipping that brake, but you still get 2.5x trying to push you forward.

. . .

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 2:48am
I'm glad it worked for you!  I tried it when I first got a Truetrac in my pickup.  I lifted one back tire with a jack stand and tried to drive up my driveway in 2WD.  It just sat and spun the tire that was in the air.  So then I started adding some e.brake.  The engine started lugging down a bit, then as I kept adding more it drove off the jack stand.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 2:54am
I can't remember how tight I pulled the e-brake in original test.   This time I pulled it as hard as I could (within reason).      My e-brake is a Lokar floor mounted lever,  pulling on rear 11" drum brakes.

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

....      My e-brake is ...  pulling on rear 11" drum brakes.

Good point.  This trick won't work with a driveline e.brake.  It has to be applying the braking downstream of the diff (out at the wheels)
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 8:20pm
Interesting. So, the True Trac is different than other limited slips.

Years ago we used to build "Baja buggies" and sand rails based on the old VW Beetles. One thing we did was to split the E-brake to two separate levers so you could brake one wheel at a time.

My old Jeep has the driveline E-brake, but I have often thought about trying the above on a later CJ with rear wheel E-Brakes, I just never have owned one.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

I can't remember how tight I pulled the e-brake in original test.   This time I pulled it as hard as I could (within reason).      My e-brake is a Lokar floor mounted lever,  pulling on rear 11" drum brakes.

Buy a second handle and split the brakes, then you have cutting brakes and they will work even better with the TrueTrac.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
 Post Reply Post Reply