Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The mystery is starting to unfold thanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The mystery is starting to unfold thanks
    Posted: 24 Dec. 2005 at 4:02pm

Thanks guys for all of the info I have managed to find some serials.  so here they are ..............   behind the oil filter   cj2a    11130   The casting number on the block is 6386632        Casting number on the head   640161    according to my sources this is a early 46 but it does not show signs of a colum shift.   Do you think this is true?  The gusset number under the driver side is 723  sorry no tailgate on this one. Full floating axle.         & nbsp;         

Now on the other gusset number is46053       and on the  tailgate it is 46050    that's all the serials I could find so far. Semi floating axle.

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2005 at 9:14pm
Dean, You just won the lottery!!! If that is the motor # , it would be a "45 .  The toeboard # would say your body is #700 +- from ACM.  The full float is correct for this time frame. Do you have a pic or two to share?
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2005 at 11:21am
hey dean, I smell the signs of a 45 also by the motor #. did you look on the drivers side front inside frame horn (inside) for # tag. Should have tool indents on driver side also. And yes it shoud have column shift, but was probably taken out. I have a 45 and 4 early 46s Ill check the gusset #s on them   tony
Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
Dean1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2005 at 5:00pm
Thanks to Gary and Tony!  I'm trying to get pictures to post any hints? 
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2005 at 7:50pm
Dean, if you go back to the menu and on the bottom there is a test site that will help you out with posting pics.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 10:34am
They only made 1824 45 2A's so it is a rare bird especially because it's all original. They started w/ serial number 10001. The casting number you listed has too many numbers. It should be 638632
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Dean1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 5:10pm
Your right Oakes, the casting number is 638632.  I'm still trying to post pics but they are a little over 200k but I'm still trying. thanks for the response. Dean
Dean1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 6:08pm
Dean1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 6:10pm
Dean1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 6:11pm
Dean1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 6:15pm

ok guys, here's some pics I'll try for better ones later

Dean1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 6:16pm
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 7:45pm

Dean, Nice find. Looks like another one gets a new life. Also looks like a great start with alot of the original parts like the windshield, steering wheel and rear axle. Too bad Bubba had to have his way with your dash . Alot of people would love to have a start like yours, Keep us updated and share more pics (engine, floors, ect...) Looks like Bubba removed your pioneer tool indents and top bow holders, OR it's a different tub. Look at where the stearing column goes thru the dash, is it an oval or round? Column shift would be an oval. Your ACM # says it's oval.

Gary

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 10:51pm

Dean, Looks good, Has early windshild from what I can see ( MB style) ,steering wheel, As gary said mite by a different tub.

Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 8:49am
The 45 2A's and some 46 2A's had the two square washers on the outside windshield skin as opposed to all other 2A's that had round ones. Yes it should be column shift. My buddy might be picking one up for parts. I can ask if he is willing to part the column shift mechanism if you want. Also look under the jeep on the drivers side and look at the tranny. You can convert to floor shift by just changing shift towers. Make sure your tranny still has the side shift mechanism and that is still moves.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 10:09am
Quote You can convert to floor shift by just changing shift towers.

It's not that simple.  The side shift levers have to be removed from the tranny in order for the top shift forks to fit the gear slots.  This requires removing the main shaft, which means removing the transfer case, etc. etc.  Then the empty side shift shaft and lock pin holes have to be plugged to keep the oil in.  It's easier to just replace the transmission.

Sean
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 11:34am
I've had a few where the side shift forks were removed and a top tower was put on. Everything else is still intact. I have one in the garage right now like that. You have to think about the times. Labor was cheap and most guys did their own work. Parts were expensive.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 4:53pm
Quote Labor was cheap and most guys did their own work. Parts were expensive.

Isn't that what we've got here today?

I've just got done rebuilding my side shift tranny, and the thought of taking those parts out while it's still in the vehicle gives me the shivers!

Sean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>