Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Official Bubbification Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Official Bubbification Thread
    Posted: 16 Nov. 2022 at 2:30pm
Since most of us have torn into our Willys, many of us have found that Bubba had their way with our rig. So this thread it dedicated to Bubba, and all the fine work he has done to these rigs over the years that we have all had to correct and make right. 

So if it pleases the court, I’ll start us off. I submit peoples exibit A: 

Bubba created an entire cab corner out of Bondo which I had to cut out and reweld sheet metal in. 

Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2022 at 3:07pm
  Do you need a corner?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2022 at 5:53pm
Does that really qualify as "Bubba"?

If there was beer cans underneath, ok, I'd agree.

Where's the Bubba Judging Standards book?
LOL

Edited by Ron D - 16 Nov. 2022 at 5:54pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2022 at 5:53pm
No sir, its been fixed. Just sharing some of Bubba’s fine work for the good of the order. I’m sure others have some gems out there to share, lol. 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2022 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Does that really qualify as "Bubba"?

If there was beer cans underneath, ok, I'd agree.

Where's the Bubba Judging Standards book?
LOL

Back in the day when they were made of tin and you needed a church key to open them.
1951 M38
1951 M100
SharingPoet517 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharingPoet517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2022 at 6:57pm
I'm afraid to find out how much filler there is in the corner of my jeep. Currently, there are no holes where the spare tire carrier went, and the rim around the top is about an inch thick LOL

I'll have to post some pictures of my reinforced front bumper that was welded on upside down by the previous owners
I'm not actually a poet, just an old online name I use

45 #11319 - Pasture Green
46 #35578 - Harvest Tan (Data Tags Only)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2022 at 8:21pm
  There were different kinds of Bubba. This one did the best he could with what he had at hand to make the jeep look right. Some didn’t care, and only welded what he wanted wherever he wanted, or drilled holes willy-nilly. 
  Bondo-sculpting almost became an art form before it fell into disfavor. I once watched a guy repairing a bad dent in the left quarter panel of a ‘69 Impala 2-door. He made no effort whatsoever at pulling the dent. He emptied a new gallon can of filler on a piece of cardboard and squeezed the contents of the activator tube onto it. He mixed it with a stick. Then he put a coat of filler in the bottom of the dent. Next he smashed the empty can and stuck it in the dent, covered it over with filler until he ran out, and left it until the next day when he finished it out. 
  LOL. Tall tale? You decide. As they say today, you couldn’t make this up!
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2022 at 10:11pm
I tell this story often...

I went to auto body school back in 1988-1990. Towards the end of my time there, we were hanging out in the shop around lunch time. One of the students there who had started around the same time as I did, was working on his car... not HIS car, but the car that he was working on.  (These cars were owned by random people who wanted their smashed up car fixed for cheap, knew it was going to be fixed by students, and knew it was probably going to take a while)

There were about 5-6 of us students sitting by his car eating lunch.  He was working on the car on and off while eating his sandwich.  At that point he was mixing and applying body filler.  There was a 3-4" rust hole in the rear quarter panel that he still needed to cut out and patch in at some point.  I'm not sure if he didn't like his sandwich or not, but he stuffed the rest of his sandwich in the rust hole and covered it with bondo.

We sat there in disbelief for about 10 seconds before we all burst out laughing.

I can't remember his name, but it was probably Bubba.

Edited by Scratch - 16 Nov. 2022 at 10:12pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2022 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by IRQVET IRQVET wrote:

Bubba created an entire cab corner out of Bondo which I had to cut out and reweld sheet metal in. 

That seems like an odd place for a repair . . not likely to be rust.

I bet that was a shocker when you started grinding into it.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 12:05am
Knew a guy a long time ago. We had went to school together, and after we had finished school he moved down into south Georgia. He started showing up at my place periodically a number of years after we had finished school. He would show up and stay in town a few days, then leave and I would not hear from him for a good while. 

One time he was in town for about a week, and he bought a fairly new Chevy pickup truck, a nice truck, then he left and we didn't hear from him again for about a year.

Next time he showed up he was driving that same truck, but it had big hand sized holes all over the body that looked like they had been cut out with a chisel. 

I asked "George, what happened to your truck?"

He went into a rambling story which ended up with him being in Atlanta, and a cop spitting at him, and the story stopped there.

So, I said "But George, that doesn't explain those big holes in your truck". He said "Oh, I know that but that made me so mad that when I got home I shot my truck with a shotgun." and again the story stopped.

I looked at the truck and said "George, those holes weren't made by a shotgun", to which he replied 
"I know, that is how I fixed it".

I am not making this up, this is the conversation I had with the man, and it was my first inkling that he was crazy as a sh*t house rat. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 2:11am
Those dents on the fender ribbing? I have those. What do you think caused it? 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 7:44am
30+ years ago I had a 1966 CJ5 that had Bondo nearly a quarter of an inch thick at the deepest point above and behind both rear tires. I got tired of looking at the cracks one day and started chipping it out. Both sides had big, shallow dents that looked better without the Bondo than they did without because the dents were nowhere near a quarter inch deep. I was broke and in Tucson, AZ at the time so I sanded out what was left and shot some rattle can gray primer on it. It may still be that way today. 
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 7:57am

I too had a bondo sculpture on that corner, as well as the entire silk beneath the doors, the transmission hump, the 4” torch cut tail light holes. That one in the corner where the tire support baffle was had another 1/2” over the entire panel. Almost the entire jeep had at least a coat of it. I had quite the dusty mess after wire wheeling the entire outside of it. All the rust has now been cut away and I’m about halfway through welding in patches. 44 patches in total. I’m naming it patches as a result. 

Another fun one is I only had the bottoms of the original seat frames because bubba thought cutting the backs off and bolting on pinto seats was more comfortable. Still looking for a drivers side non repro for that one. I was gonna bend conduit to repair them but I can’t get bends tight enough.

Edited by Agas46cj - 17 Nov. 2022 at 8:15am
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Agas46cj Agas46cj wrote:

…Another fun one is I only had the bottoms of the original seat frames because bubba thought cutting the backs off and bolting on pinto seats was more comfortable. Still looking for a drivers side non repro for that one. I was gonna bend conduit to repair them but I can’t get bends tight enough.

My CJ3A has a similar problem. Seat frames were cut to accommodate captain’s seats from a van. It currently has nothing on the right side and the driver’s seat is an old clamp on boat seat I welded to the frame. I kinda like the boat seat. It’s reasonably comfortable and it swivels making it a little easier to get in and out. I will eventually get around to doing something else but I doubt I ever bring the seats back to an original appearance unless I win the lottery. 

My CJ2A has an aluminum fuel tank just sitting in the back. The seat frames are there but no cushions. The seat itself is a wide plank about twice the width of the original cushions. 

Edited by Jeff J - 17 Nov. 2022 at 9:26am
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 9:55am
On the other hand, Bubba has in the past kept many flatfenders on the road when repair parts were much harder to locate. Keeping them on the road kept many of them from hitting the scrap yard. This likely contributed to the number of rigs available for repair or restoration today. While dubious repairs to steering and brakes can't be condoned because of safety concerns, cosmetic Bubbafication is usually harmless and is for the most part reparable. The internet has made parts much easier to locate than back in the day when often time Bubba had to make do with what he could find to keep his jeep on the road.

The modern Bubba is represented as the amazing number of parts available in the aftermarket that do no fit the application that it was intended for or require modification in order to make the part fit. That is Bubba in the marketplace and it is happening today...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 10:16am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

While dubious repairs to steering and brakes can't be condoned because of safety concerns, cosmetic Bubbafication is usually harmless and is for the most part reparable.

Aside from having a completely worn out driveline and steering system it’s the one area I’m glad to say nothing was modified or repaired in a questionable way.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 10:37am
i thought my build thread was the "official bubbification thread."
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2022 at 11:32am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

i thought my build thread was the "official bubbification thread."

.....LOL Clap......

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>