Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The one that got away

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greekstyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 8:44pm
Just posted, not sure why the pics do not show up.
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Koolkats Koolkats wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to comment, but this old girl is mine.

She was my step-dads and was his someday project.

She is now my current project.

I will post updates as I can.

All the best,

Sean

Hi

Where in NJ are you located?

Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Koolkats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koolkats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 11:56pm
Hi Russ,

I'm in Monroe.

Sean

Just got back fron the Catskills where I saw a restored 57 Willys Pickup!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 2:52am
Welcome to the page, Greekstyle!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 2:51am
hey Koolkats thanks for joining and sharing and adding to the story.  I have a place just up the road from where this vehicle lived.  If you get back that way let me know and we will connect.
Dutch
Dutch
     ,[__|__],
l   L__O|||||O_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 2:56am
Hey WAIT!! 
I want to know what was behind those locked doors ???
Was in a dead possum??

Was it a new Warn OD still in the box???
Big smile
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Was it a new Warn OD still in the box???

Only one person could be so lucky...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 5:39am

Lucky guy. I installed a few Warn ODs over the years in the Jeep shop. I have never seen one fail. I believe they say that they are good up to 350 HP. We had a Jeep that had better than that and the OD held up fine. I rebuilt the transmission twice and the rear axle once. If you put them in correctly, they do not go bad.

uncamonkey
R Hayden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Hayden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Greekstyle Greekstyle wrote:

I am new to this board.  In brief, the wife's dad passed away and we got this old willys jeep.  Wife wants it to run again - she has fond memories of it as a child.  I just got it back from the shop and it was running for about two weeks, now no longer runs. Don't have $$$ to put back in after spending $600.   Sounds weird on start up, like weak, but the battery is new and hearing a strange (low-whistling for lack of a better description) noise when trying to crank.  I know NOTHING about cars so unless you are patient, you may want to ignore my posts.  First, can someone help me identify this jeep, the numbers on plate are not very readable and my father in law was notorious for just making things work, for all I know he could have spliced three or four jeeps together to produce this one.  I think its either a CJ2A or JC3A.  What should I check if I know battery and cables are good (those were replaced).  What is the next sequence of checking?  I have a volt meter....please use very simple terminology.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Koolkats start with checking the spark plugs, make sure they are good and the plug wires, then proceed to checking the coil, then the distributor cap, rotor, points and condenser. Those are the easiest to start with and the most likely trouble points if it has been running in the recent past. You will need to verify if it is a 6 volt or 12 volt electrical system before replacing electrical parts.  
If you are unsure take the part in to the parts store and have the counter guy verify what you need. 6 and 12 volt parts are easily obtainable, if it happens to be an old military version and needs 24 volt parts that will be a whole different story.
Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12