Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The perfect tool you would never think of

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The perfect tool you would never think of
    Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 8:21pm
So today I decided to remove the Plug in my Oil Pressure sending port. The one closes to the rear of the engine on the main galley.

First up I tried a 5/16" Open End that obviously wasn't going to do anything.
Second I tried a 5/16" Square (8 point) socket again all it was going to do was round the corners so I stopped before I did any real damage.
Next up I went for the Big gun a Large Vise Grip again aside from a little rounding on one of the corners no joy.
Third try a small pipe wrench again it was obvious this just wasn't going to cut it. At this point I sharpened up a center punch and gave it a good mark I figured best do that before I mess it up and it makes it hard to find the center.

THEN I HAD AN IDEA the head on the plug is Square What tool do I have that works with square drive?

MY TAP HANDLE WOW so I grab my General Tool #166 Sliding handle Tap wrench and place it on the Plug then using a pair of slip lock pliers I tighten down the chuck (not 30lbs of torque but tight) I then slip a 12" long piece of steel tubing over the handle Slide to one side and with very reasonable effort it turns I see the plug is actually turning and in a few turns its out. NO damage past what I left on it with the other methods.

My new go to for small square drive plugs.

Thought I would share.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 8:54pm
Great idea!

For 3/8 or 1/2" plugs, I like to use a reversed socket. The square hole in the socket fits those square plugs nicely. Then I put an allen wrench in the other end if the socket and turn it. Or even an allen wrench socket on a ratchet.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 10:22pm
For the bigger Plugs I have a set of Square 8 point sockets. But your idea is better since you have more purchase with only 4 corners. I like that.

I also use the Square sockets to turn Larger shank taps like 1/4 and 3/8 NPT taps a 7/16" Square and then I have a T bar style breaker bar where then head slides along the length of the arm. Just like a Tap handle would.

In fact I just used it to thread a hole for my Magnetic drain plug assembly.

Edited by Mark W. - 06 Jan. 2019 at 10:24pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 3:31am
A couple great ideas here . .   hope I can remember these tips next time I run into removing a square headed plug.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 3:11pm
Great idea Mark... I'll keep that one up stairs and hope I can retrieve it if need be.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 6:37pm
Or buy a set of 4 point sockets...

Grey Pneumatic 1211P - 3/8" Drive, 11 Pc. Pipe Plug Socket Set

Part No:GRE1211P

Retail Price:$55.00
Our Price: $33.22

Edited by Joe Friday - 07 Jan. 2019 at 6:39pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 8:09pm
Interesting I have never seen 4 pt sockets only the 8's I doubt for the price and the limited amount of use they would get around here I will buy any but good to know someone makes them.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 8:27pm
The set at Summit racing has the obscure drain plugs like the metric Subaru Plugs.
If you owned a Subaru...

Or had a Subaru engine in your Willys...
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 9:04pm
LOL Thats not going to happen EVER Joe
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 3:43am
Hey Joe, do you know what size the Subaru plugs are? I will need one soon to wrench on my Subaru this winter. I hate not having the correct tool on hand.

Most of my square sockets are Snap-on, but I have a few Macs. Thus, both Mac & Snap-on make them. I have an old 1/2" drive set my grandpa gave me. I think that set is Wright. They have to be at least 70 years old. I do not think that Wright is still in business. 

I like the square four point sockets as they have better grip than the eight point ones do. I almost gave my eight point sockets away, as I very rarely use them. But I remember needing one of them for an eight point nut or bolt on some adjustment some where. I think it was on some old logging or mining equipment. Heck, it may have been on one of my family's tractors. If I figure out which one it was, I will safety wire that socket to the machine near that adjustment & give the rest away.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 4:05am
Wright tool is still alive and well!, good stuff! πŸ‘πŸ½

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
β€œIf you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Wright tool is still alive and well!, good stuff! πŸ‘πŸ½

Lee

That is great news! Yes, Wright makes very good tools.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 7:29pm
   How on earth will I ever remember this trick.
My bookmarks are so Full of Willy's stuff, and it is getting to the point of not being able to find the "one" article I may be looking for.

Aha, we have some Subaru owners !   I am a member of the Naisoc interest group which centers around the WRX STI auto's.
   I will confess, I have been enjoying my little '02 WRX now for 12-years, and at 165k miles, she's going strong and constantly brings out the juvenile spirit. :)
Amazing how so many little suv's are now coming out with a 2.0L turbo engine that kicks out 300 hp.   runs with a mustang GT, and they are no slouch.

I have to admit, I am addicted to Jeep Parts and the Search for treasure.

What a relief to have that plug Out of there, and thank you for sharing this clever idea to use in a pinch.
   My tap and die set was USA made, and it got lost in a move, or loaned out, but I have not found it in 9-years, and will soon buy a replacement set.

My wife just informed me that the weather forcast through the end of January is More-Rain !

I'm headed to the shop to get off the internet, but it is warm in the cabin.

Len
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 8:10pm
This article just brought to mind another "perfect tool"

While cleaning a bunch of parts this last summer, on my outside workbench, (my favorite bench) I needed to scrape something belligerent. There happened to be an old hack-saw blade laying there so I grabbed it.
   Wow !    _ _ _ what a handy cleaning and scraping tool. We tend to forget that the metal-cutting hack saw blades are hardened steel for cutting.

And you know many times what it is like to remove 50-year-old petrified dirt and grease accumulations. I mean this stuff a pressure-washer won't touch right !   The stuff we must CHISEL-OFF to remove.
   Well for the stubborn stuff, you just saw through it with the teeth and then use the back side for "finish-scaping."    no kidding.
    And the blade curves easily to conform to the scraping task.

Just thought I would bring this up because I now keep an old hack saw blade on my bench.

Enjoy !

Ok, so now I will go out and work on my ISUZU.

Len
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 8:24pm
I have about a 6" long wood cutting reciprocating saw blade I shoved a short section of Rubber hose on the shank. I use it just like your talking about as a crud scrapper. Worked pretty good too.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Enos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 4:54am
My son works as a heavy equipment mechanic. They remove lots of drain plugs. Their tip is to give the plug a hefty wack with a big hammer to release some pressure on the threads and then they usually come out pretty easily. Seems to work pretty good.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 4:59pm
I have a set of Craftsman 8 point sockets and use them all the time. between the Forn 9N, JD Garden tractors and the CJ2A, they are nice to have around. I love the tap handle idea. I have a few different old style tap handles. Nice to have an additional reason to use them.
 Post Reply Post Reply