Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Resurrection of CJ2-26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Starting to make some progress on the tailgate Jeep stamp.

Cool x2! I thought about this Willys a couple days ago wondering if any progress is being made.

On a side note, I dig that little robot person drawing!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 6:56pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 8:24pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 9:10pm
It's probably just the camera, but the male half looks shallow?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 10:08pm
The female portion is dead nuts to the 3D scan. The male portion is off set from the female for 16 gauge. The tailgate Fred sent me is 16 gauge. The scans Todd made were from the windshield skin which is a thinner metal.

Edited by jpet - 23 Dec. 2017 at 10:10pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 10:40pm
Very cool Jeff. Clap
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 2:55am
Yea, that's pretty awesome work. Really cool to think of this modern machinery and computer work making something to stamp a part for one of the earliest divvy JEEPs. Nifty for sure. 

It's also pretty darn cool to see a village come together like this to help another and save a piece of history. Kudos to all involved. I wish I had something to offer as well. About the best I could do is have a pizza sent to your shop, Fred, when I know you'll be working. Smile

This place is great.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 5:14am
I can offer to take any trial rejects off your hands...
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2017 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I can offer to take any trial rejects off your hands...

It's commendable, the sacrifices you're willing to make to help out a bud!  LOLWink
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 4:46pm
After a far too long absence, I'm back to reveal the progress we have made over the past 6 months.

The frame had been stripped down to its essence as the last rusted or worn parts were removed,  making way for new replacements.  In December it was sandblasted to begin the rebuild process.  Proper length solid round head rivets were bought and we're now ready to rivet on new spring hangers and reproduction front bumper gusset plates (after moving the rivet holes slightly) .

After repairs are made to the frame and new parts are riveted or welded in place, the frame will be painted. 

We also sandblasted 5 solid disc wheels and two seat frames. The seat lower back cross members will be replaced with better ones, then new reproduction MB ribbed seat back panels will be spot welded in place before the seat frames are painted. 

Now I have to remember how to rotate long portrait photos before posting them so they appear in correct orientation on this thread.  But no time for that now.  So tilt your head and enjoy! 

Jeff - great progress on the dies for the stamped JEEP name for the tailgate.  Yee Haa!! TongueTongue  

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 3:04am
Thanks for the update, Fred. Been wondering how it's going. Looks great so far. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 3:52pm
After a summer of caravanning and rallying in my 1953 Airstream, it's back to resurrecting CJ2-26. Yesterday Lou and I hot riveted four new spring hangers to the bottom frame rail, officially beginning the build up phase of CJ2-26 as opposed to the tear down phase. We put the rivets in place, secured them from underneath, heated their shanks cherry red with a torch then set them with an air hammer. 

Today we will rivet on the front bumper gussets and spring hangers, weld the new threaded tubes on the rearmost spring hangers, and repair the few broken welds and small cracks in the frame. After we check it over and fix and straighten everything that needs it, Lou will paint the frame.  I hope to bring the painted frame home this weekend and slowly begin attaching parts.  Progress is moving forward again, a great feeling!      
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 4:05pm
Glad your back to the build Fred. I'm sure you had a GR-8 summer and sure enjoyed your visit! Muley.. 
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Todd Paisley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 4:19pm
Cool!
Todd Paisley

1941 MB-100063 - MB Factory Test Mule
1942 MB-123136 - Earliest Documented "Civilian" Test Jeep
1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 7:01pm
We hadn't heard from you in a while.  I considered stopping by to make sure you weren't caught under one of those "Coldwell" mowing machines!Wink

Good to see you moving forward.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 5:01pm
Yesterday was a very productive day.  We finished riveting and welding the front bumper gussets to the frame, and Lou made many initial repairs to the frame and rear cross member:

We bolted the heavy civilian jeep front bumper to the gussets before tacking, then riveting, them in place. Although the gussets to the left in the above photo appear slightly crooked, they straighten out when the bumper is installed.  Nevertheless, we will tweak the frame there before finally installing the front bumper, visible standing in the photo below.

Here is Lou welding a bead on the underside of the top right front upper gusset:

While admiring Lou's initial repairs to the rear cross member, I remarked that it still had the holes to either side of the frame rail rivets for mounting the MB rear bumperettes.  It also had been extended on one side to accommodate two new horizontal slots for installing a civilian license plate, and one of those slot began at a bumperette hole, as seen here:

Standing on the other side of the rear cross member, Lou said he had something to show me:

A neat discovery: The Willys factory fabricated the rear cross member on CJ2-26 by welding a 4 inch angled extension to the left side of a MB rear cross member.  The smoothly ground factory weld and the upper seam line visible above are proof of this fabrication. The outer license plate slot begins right on the very clean weld. The sloppier lower welded seam on the bottom of the rear cross member is apparent in the photo below:

The rear cross member on the stamped JEEP CJ-2s and on the CJ-2A Universal jeeps extends 4 inches further to the outside on the left than on the right.  On the right, the civilian rear cross member ends about 1/2 inch outside the vertical seam in the rear body where the rear and side panels joined.  On the left side, the civilian rear cross member extends to just inside the body, as suggested on CJ2A-12797 here:

The MB bumperette holes do not appear on the CJ-2A rear cross member because it is a newly manufactured part from which they were omitted as unnecessary. The two holes to the right of the frame rail rivets above are for mounting the rear draw bar. 

The MB bumperette holes remain on CJ2-26's rear cross member because it was fabricated from a MB rear cross member that came with those holes.  By contrast, the rear cross member on Agrijeep CJ2-09 (and other Agrijeeps) was a MB rear cross member (with bumperette holes) that extended just 1/2 inch outside the left vertical body seam on the Agrijeep.  License plate slots were unnecessary because its's license plate was mounted to a bracket attached to the back of the single rear taillight mounted on a separate bracket to the inside that vertical body seam. 

So the stamped JEEP preproduction CJ-2s were the first Willys jeeps to get the two horizontal slots in the rear cross member for mounting license plates.  This was part of the program to reduce CJ production costs by reducing the number of parts and, where possible, replacing parts with stampings.  Enjoy!   
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 5:07pm
Fred, can you bring the hood and or windshield to the FCT? Paul will be there and we can look at the stamping. I’ll bring the forms with me.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 6:27pm
Fred, thanks for sharing the CJ2-26 resurrection story. I own all your excellent books and this resto is the icing on the cake.

Please provide details of the primer/paint combo you and Lou use on the frame.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>