Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Submarine Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2021 at 1:55pm
Nick, I know you're crazy busy, but you have you have my curiosity peaked. Your overdrive spacer doesn't look like any overdrive part I've ever seen. What is it?

Mark W's overdrive was popping out of drive gear (30%) unit, and they told him to add .050.

Edited by Joe Friday - 12 July 2021 at 1:56pm
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2021 at 2:10pm
I think i have the tera low gear, i can bring.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by sonoblast77 sonoblast77 wrote:

I think i have the tera low gear, i can bring.

Excellent, thanks!!

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Nick, I know you're crazy busy, but you have you have my curiosity peaked. Your overdrive spacer doesn't look like any overdrive part I've ever seen. What is it?

Mark W's overdrive was popping out of drive gear (30%) unit, and they told him to add .050.

I believe this spacer is only used for T98/T18's due to having an adapter, whether you have OD or not you'll need one. Novak and AA include them in their kits.

I'm really hoping the overdrive works the first time.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 9:50pm
0 weeks until Rubicon - Overtime

I don't have time to make a full update with pictures, but will do so in the future. We are tight on the deadline. I've always been confident the Jeep would make the trip - and I still am. Also planning to attend Jeep Fest in Toledo after Rubicon. If something catastrophic happens such as engine or trans internals in the next couple days, I'll just throw my Polaris Ace on the trailer.

The Jeep should have been test driven Friday, but the engine builder didn't replace all the exhaust manifold studs, and one stripped out. Thus I also ruined a gasket during the process and won't have another until Tuesday.

Went to replace 2 brake lines and ended up relocating the master cylinder, making new brackets, cleaning mud out of the lines, etc. Tons of tedious details done this week to ensure the drivetrain operates perfectly.

Ideal schedule for the week:
Mon: Finalize brakes
Tues: Install manifold, finish custom exhaust
Weds: Driveshafts, shifters, timing and test drive
Thurs: Install 30 spline carrier, locker, full float into D44 rear axle, or weld up a D41 off my other Jeep. Time permitting. Somehow find time to load the trailer.

Been working until midnight for the last week. I'm beginning to think the real vacation starts after this vacation!

Edited by Nick_ - 18 July 2021 at 9:51pm
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 9:47am
Hey Nick,

The Submarine Jeep looks fantastic in the Rubicon pics!

How did the tractor tires fare? Did you get any significant rubbing anywhere? Do you have a little lift?

I got the slightly smaller tractor tires but really like your look. The tires look a little small on mine but perfect on yours.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

Hey Nick,

The Submarine Jeep looks fantastic in the Rubicon pics!

How did the tractor tires fare? Did you get any significant rubbing anywhere? Do you have a little lift?

I got the slightly smaller tractor tires but really like your look. The tires look a little small on mine but perfect on yours.

Thanks! I'm still on my way home. In the next few days I'll update the thread in chronological order from finishing the build to the trip.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011