Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Submarine Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 1:46am
Looking forward to the test drive video!
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 5:15am
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2016 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by 48CJ2 48CJ2 wrote:

Nick, Saw this in You Tube from Dirt every day.

I caught that video as well. It was pretty cool, but they didn't explain what was needed to submerge the Jeep. Their ignition switch was sealed, but the starter solenoid was not?

We found some time to work on Queen Mary this weekend, first picking up some ATF from the gas station. A yoke and misc parts for this tranny costs $90. I can't justify the cost when a takeout tranny is $150, and this one is rusty. So we decided to shove that pipe back over the front output shaft because what is the worst that could happen?

Then we stopped at the gas station to buy some ATF, it should eat away at the rust inside the tranny. Jacked the rear axle up in the air. We only had 3, 4, and R gears to work with. Started the Jeep up, and played with the clutch until she broke free and spun the rear wheels. Notice there is little oil in our kiddy pool.

A test drive was mandatory. 

We drove it up and down the alley a few times flawlessly; one man at the wheel and another on the throttle. When I took this video, the Jeep died. And wouldn't restart. In about 5 minutes of driving, it drank about 2 gallons of gas. I'm not sure if the engine smoke is from fuel overload, or if it flooded from idling, etc. We had to push it uphill back into the garage, and called it a day.

1st and 2nd is still not working. We've tried just about everything from yanking, hammering, and using a high-lift jack to move the shifter.

Edited by Nick_ - 05 Sep. 2016 at 5:25pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2016 at 6:35pm
Cool video.

Interesting that you have named the submarine jeep after a vessel that is world famous because the submarines were not fast enough to catch her and sink her during WWII

I love to stay a night or two on the Queen Mary whenever I'm in the LA area. ...... now back to your regularly scheduled program

Edit: if history holds true, no other submersible will be able to catch it

Edited by jpet - 05 Sep. 2016 at 7:06pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2016 at 6:20am
jpet, I love the amount of irony in the name"Queen Mary" for this Jeep. Now to decide where to write it. Looks like you had alot of fun, I've been on a steam boat on the Mississippi. Can't wait til we can duke it out with the Jeeps.

Last year I rescued an MB out of a local junkyard. It was too far gone to ever be restored - but served well for parts. I saved the grille knowing I could use it someday.

Yesterday I was home for the weekend. I wire brushed and spray painted it for now; just something to mock up on Queen Mary. Everyone is telling me to not cut the grille like an SAS because it looks rigged, and it would look cooler next to my other "MB" with all the slots. I'm not sure yet. I hope to paint it all tan this January.

Progress is very, very slow... I have much more appreciation for the monstrous shop at home. It's tight in this campus garage. Still working on the drivetrain kinks. We've had a problem with the crankcase filling full of fuel. The fuel float appears to be working fine. My next guess is the diaphragm on the fuel pump is worn and leaking into the block. Also trying to get the tranny to shift in 1st and 2nd gear.

Once I get these issues solved, I'll order the front tcase yoke and see if we can't make this baby 4x4.

Another question up for debate: What to do about the tires?
I'd like to keep the Jeep looking as stock as possible. I bought a bundle of parts specifically for this roll bar, and a few other misc items such as a jerry can & mount.

These tires are wide and I'm guessing won't fit on the 2A rims, thus defeating the "super stock" ideology. The current tires on the Jeep are probably going to work fine. I'm just daydreaming.

Edited by Nick_ - 18 Oct. 2016 at 6:26am
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2016 at 6:00am
Not much has happened since the last post. I decided to sell those oversized tires, and installed an M38 hood for the classic military appearance. Queen Mary has made the travel to home in northern Indiana, since I need equipment to progress along.

She wants to be straight pipe!

Although there hasn't been much physical progress, I've messed around with some roll cage ideas. I can't decide if I want a "family cage" that extends to the back, although I'm not sure if I'll ever install a rear seat. It looks cooler with the fastback look now. The rear is pretty overkill at the moment but it looks so good.

Notice the rock sliders.

Next step is to install a winch, build a floor, and make side patch panels. I wish I had some time for this but other projects are taking priority. For some reason I keep thinking I need more Navy Jeep stuff, so then I have to work more. The system isn't right.

Edited by Nick_ - 19 Dec. 2016 at 6:30pm
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2016 at 6:19pm
I'm not a huge fan of roll cages on a flat fender, but I actually like your mock-up a lot.Smile

Note: That is not an M38 Grill.

Hawk
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2016 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Note: That is not an M38 Grill.

Hawk

Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

I decided to sell those oversized tires, and installed an M38 hood for the classic military appearance. 

Hawk, Had to reread it a few times to make sure I didn't miss it but Nick only said M38 hood.  The post before says MB grill. Smile

Nick, that is a tiny winch on that bumper! LOL
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2016 at 7:51pm
I may or may not have edited my post... I meant to say M38 hood. I'm going for some snorkel action.

Winch is a little Viper 5,000 lbs. leftover from my CJ3A before restoration. Never had a problem with it, and I'd like to hide the winch behind the bumper as much as possible. It's already been 2 years since that post!

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/mystery-cj2a-project-story-build-thread_topic32103_post313501.html#313501
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2017 at 4:01am
Gil's build thread has inspired me.
I decided it makes more sense to patch the body rather than get the Jeep turn-key. This is my first attempt at a body patch, and learning as I go. In true fashion I picked the thinnest, warped body to work with.

I took some measurements to make my patch. Then took the patch and outlined it over the body for a perfect cut.

I still have some grinding on the patches, but they're coming out better than expected. A little bondo over the welds and it'll be a solid 10-footer. I'll fit some pioneer tools as well.

This tub is a bondo sculpture. At least 1/4'' over the entire tub. No exaggeration. My patches don't need to be perfect, just not be an eye-sore on the trail.

Aaaaaaah.

Out with the old.

Tomorrow's project: Front floor and transmission tunnel.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2017 at 5:39pm
Good Job Nick! Looking forward to more progress pics!
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

....I still have some grinding on the patches, but they're coming out better than expected. A little bondo over the welds and it'll be a solid 10-footer. I'll fit some pioneer tools as well. ....

Is the bondo really necessary for what you are using the jeep for?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2017 at 12:07am
I go along with jpet.  NO 'DO!  I took all the 'Do off Ol' Unreliable and don't care if it's a bit wrinkly.  I painted it with a brush, too.  It's a 50-footer.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2017 at 12:38am
Nick is a fine young fellow and a little practice will be of great help for his next restore.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2017 at 1:17am
Fill in your welds a little more and grind them smooth. If you plug weld some small sheet metal angle  say 1" x 1" inside that patch, it will make it easier to patch in the floor.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2017 at 5:24am
Nick you're doing a great job with your patches.My patches did no look that good when I did my first patches at 18 with torches and bronze rods. Keep up the good work.It's nice to see young people still working on old jeep.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 4:50am
Thanks for the comments! I look forward to reading them after a day's work on the Jeep.
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Is the bondo really necessary for what you are using the jeep for?
No... but it'll drive me insane. I can't stand body patches that stick out. Besides, don't we want it looking strong for the cover of JP magazine? Wink

Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

Fill in your welds a little more and grind them smooth. If you plug weld some small sheet metal angle  say 1" x 1" inside that patch, it will make it easier to patch in the floor.
I wish I thought of that! As I began pulling layers of rusted metal off, I knew the welds were going to be a pain.

This weekend I didn't get as much time as anticipated. I only completed half my to-do list. However, I'm pleased with progress this far.

Yabadabadoo!

This is a very interesting unit.  I love the external parking brake. Or in my case, the only brake.

Yeah - it got scientific. I made this less than fancy floor brace to extend over the largest area of the floor, also where all the weight sits.

First I took basic dimensions of the floor area. I then made a jig out of cardboard to check for tweaks, and lastly drew the final piece on steel. This is scrap metal from the shop. I swear.

Guess and check with the bender.

Fits like a glove! Measure 15 times cut once. The transmission is completely exposed to allow for maintenance. I'm going to design a quick removable multi-piece cover. It will be interesting.

The welds are terrible. I'll need to spend time grinding them down to look at least bearable before paint. Thick metal I'm decent at. This stuff not so much.

Spray painted to prevent rust while it sits for a while.

Before - even worse than it looks.

Aaaaah.

Heading back to school tomorrow. I have to come back next weekend, so I may slide in some sub Jeep time. So many ideas but so little time. I've pretty much decided to cut the grille SAS style. She needs some attitude.

Edited by Nick_ - 09 Jan. 2017 at 4:52am
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 5:21pm
Looks nice Nick keep up the good work. I like to see young people working with their hands instead of their thumbs. You wont regret it. There is some knowledge that you can only receive by doing it yourself and will make you appreciate your own work as well of others'.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 6:25pm
As I'm tearing into my '46 CJ-2A, I find that sometime back when the exhaust wore out, a replacement was fabricated out of 1-1/2" aluminum irrigation siphon tubes! (ok, I may be the only one here that knows what a siphon tube is....)

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>