Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Submarine Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

looking great, Nick.  I don't know how you have time to work, go to school, and fabricate dream-concocted jeeps.  Ahhh, youthful vigor...Confused
I'm out for the summer... but working 60 hours a week plus this project is insane. Slamming this out in a few months was not my wisest decision.

On Wednesday, the frame finally arrived. It's from a 1952 CJ3A. This turned out to have a rotted rail and a 1/2'' thick cobbled plow setup.

Rear bumper was rotted. A few spring hangers as well.

He brought me another 3A frame the very next night (which was awesome). However, that one looked to be in a hard collision. I couldn't afford to wait another day. So I convinced a buddy to spend 15 minutes and learn me some weldin'.

Long story short, I used two frames to make one good one. Alas... the nightmare was over and now a big smile across my face.

I'm going to partially rely on the rear bumper for a winch setup. I used scrap square tubing and fabricated this. After walking past and ripping my pants open, I boxed the outsides. It looks great - I like the "smooth" look of no PTO hole.

The tub fits! And within 1/4'' tolerance of perfect placement!

Who knew a Jeep lied within a pile of parts?

Watching Jeff and Stan's videos only adds to my anxiousness. I'm dying to launch the 'sub into the pond. The candle is burning short, but I see the light!

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 10:52am
Looking great! Just love the wheel/tire combo! Nice work. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 5:43am
This week in review: More fabrication.

I used the "original" motor mounts from the original frame. The drivetrain was dropped in under the body, and lifted into place between the transmission cover. It was agonizing.

A local shop made my new fuel cell. It's about 10 gallons, stock CJ2A is 10.5 gallons. Does it fit? No idea. I sent the seats to sandblast & upholstery the day before.

I'm within 1'' of the "original" drivetrain placement, but the radiator is an extremely tight fit. I'm going to cut the end off the water pump shaft. A large electric fan was my intention but I will settle for a smaller fan off to the side. I hear the Mutt radiators are great.

Everything is a tight fit! I hacked up the M38A1 air cleaner. Now the snorkel intake is flush with the hood, and the mounting brackets are flush with the firewall.

Here is a standard M38 with snorkel. I didn't have enough room to face the intake forward and have a hose loop out of the hood.

With a 90 degree hose, the intake will be flush with the cowl body line.
Turns out the 2nd hood cutout is for a 24V jumpstart plug. I was going to buy one, but am going to 12V instead.

Why am I going 12V?
Because... it was Christmas in July. No, you're not seeing double!

We're a dealer for Motoalliance so I have beautiful pricing. They manufacture the same specifications as Warn and Superwinch. We've always been pleased with their performance on the ATV sizes.

I couldn't wait. Dad and I designed this mounting bracket with 3/8'' steel.

Technically Jeeps came with a factory winch so I'm still stock?
I love the clean look of a synthetic fairlead.

Full wireless capabilities and a waterproof relay. We'll see about that...

Because I went with a truck winch, my 3d model needed to be updated. It turns out the SAS-style grille chop and the front overflow tank doesn't look good anymore. There was just too much going on.

I've never been a huge fan of the Slat grille MB, but adore the Ford GP. What do you think about this potential winter project? It's a GP grille design that fits within the Willys fenders.

Also made new shackles. Dad and I agreed it needs new leaf springs. I've decided on buying the stock factory springs and not aftermarkets, and not the HD factory option. I simply don't weigh enough or plan on having a payload.

Looking forward to playing with this next week. 1 3/4"

The writing is on the wall.
I'm working 60+ hours a week including weekends. I have 4 weeks left until the semester starts. My buddy's Jeep is waiting for parts that'll arrive by mid September. The new goal is by school to have all fabrication done, and a primed rolling chassis.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 1:24pm
Looks like it's coming along.  Is that wireless an option for my V-max?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Looks like it's coming along.  Is that wireless an option for my V-max?

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 5:08pm
Nick it's looking really good,can't wait to see the end results.Thumbs Up  
Nice work.

Giles
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 5:09am
Thank you Gil!

After checking out thecj2apage trip to the Rubicon Trail, I wasn't surprised at the sheer amount of body damage. So I decided the rock sliders were a must.

The center support tube isn't perfectly in the center. Rather it lines up with the bend in the Jeep body.

My 'sub only has a granny gear. I knew I'd be pedal-heavy. That's why the center tube exists. Also notice: I made an attempt at triangulation with the outer tubes facing an opposite direction as the center tube, so it has strength from both angles. It shouldn't twist and warp too bad.

And now for our safety message: start of the roll cage. 
Pretty seats under the cage as well. Those are custom sewn to fit my modified seat frames. I chose a grey vinyl to compliment the future desert tan.

Amazingly I actually built the cage without my seats. They were at the upholstery shop. I used my other Jeep for measurements on head height. 

The front of the cage matches the angle and height of a standard CJ2A windshield. It extends as one piece to the rear hoop, which is tall enough for my 6' 2" buddy to comfortably sit with a helmet on. While looking for inspiration, I was amazed at the number of cages that provide little to no clearance for the occupants' heads.

Measure, cut, bend, remeasure, recut, rebend.
I need an 1 3/4" die for the pipe roller before I could complete the rear cage.

Front bumper was shortened by 2" on each end. Not too short but just enough to expose the front wheels.

Things I learned this summer:
It takes a whole new skill set and critical thinking to build a modified flattie. Each piece you bolt on, each bracket, each part causes 3 others to fit improperly. It's a game of patience and design. A stock restoration takes a certain drive to use original parts and finding that perfect bolt. But mixing the two together is a whole new ball game.

Taking a moment to look back at the progress... this thing is unbelievable. I essentially began the summer with some axles on the ground. I put forth all my effort and just about every available moment to throw this together. No regrets or woulda-shoulda's. I'm going to wrap things up on holiday weekends and winter break.

I can't complain - life is great. I bought a brand new aluminum trailer. Now I'm down in beautiful southern Indiana with my first Jeep love, and we're in for some dirty fun Wink

Video coming soon.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 6:05am
Thought you guys would enjoy a 1st week update for winter break. Lots of fabrication going on.

I mentioned earlier how tight the water pump was against the radiator (we're talking millimeters of clearance). My solution was ingenious: make a heavy duty clamp for the electric fan, and bolt it where the original shroud went. Now the fan is connected to the radiator with the tightest clearance possible.

I also had to angle the radiator forward to clear the water pump. About 1" of the grille shroud was cut open.

The Mutt guys might appreciate this modified engine bracket to fit my offset radiator. I added an inch to the driver side of this bracket.

For the greatest update of them all...
The hater pipe.

Imagine driving through the river on a sunny day. You lean forward and look up to the left. The sky is blue and a tractor flap is bouncing away with every tap of the gas pedal. That's my force of motivation. Now I did cheat and have this made at the local exhaust shop, but I did design it. So it still counts as my effort.

I plan on using exhaust wrap at least up to the tractor supply muffler.

First trim piece of the roll cage. It has to look pretty since that's all you'll see alongside bubbles. Might have to cut a hole for the periscope.

Here's another huge piece of monumental progress. My rear hoop has a large radius that couldn't be done on a traditional bender. I ended up buying 1.750 dies for the Harbor Freight tube roller made by Swag Off Road. 

First, I used the Harbor Freight roller. You can see the center of the tube is perfectly straight. Each side was evenly rolled to a decent curve. It wasn't a large curve - about 30 degrees. Then, I used a normal pipe bender to really angle the curve towards the front of the cage. This was about 60 degrees of bending. A total of 90 degrees of aesthetic pleasure.

Anyone who's ever used the HF bender knows how badly it twists the tube while rolling. It's nearly impossible to make a perfectly straight roll. I added some shims to the die axles to prevent slop. It worked well, and I only had to make a minor adjustment because of twist.

I welded the ends of this piece even with one another. The rear curve was lower on one side and looked like this shape: \ So, I welded the driver side pipe that goes to the floor. Then I jacked up the passenger side to make it level.

I'm ecstatic this turned out great, because I only have enough material to finish the cage without mistakes.

Next week is going to be great. Fun surprise Wink

Edited by Nick_ - 24 Dec. 2017 at 6:07am
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 12:32pm
Keep the updates coming!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 4:45pm
Welcome back Nick,you nailed that cage and exhaust .Can't wait to see more,keep the picture coming of your progress.Well doneThumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 6:02pm
Nick,
I’m glad you’re planning on wrapping that exhaust. If I ever drove that thing I would have my left hand branded where I grabbed that hot pipe every time I got in or out. That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw that exhaust, “my hand would be cooked on that.” 
It looks cool though. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Imagine driving through the river on a sunny day. You lean forward and look up to the left. The sky is blue and a tractor flap is bouncing away with every tap of the gas pedal. That's my force of motivation.

Clap

Yes keep posting your progress, this is one of my favorite builds!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 7:02pm
Amazing cage!!
 Wow your skills are awesome. 

Can’t wait to see you dunk it!!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2017 at 5:36am
Photo of your Jeep on a trailer, very nice...  Make and size?
Thanks, Abob
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 4:47am
Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments as always.

Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

Photo of your Jeep on a trailer, very nice...  Make and size?
Thanks, Abob

I'm lucky to live in the heartland of RV's and trailers. I bought mine from this place https://www.johnstrailersales.com/ believe it's 16'. Their claim to fame is "cheapest trailers in the country" and I paid $2,600 pre-tax.

Happy New Year! Week 2 update: Budget be gone...

Tried out some aluminum spool welding. Had to make mounts for my fuel cell. It's very different from MIG.

-All new leaf springs. 8 front 9 rear Omix
-Went from 6.00 to the next size up 7.50 tractor tires. 

I've been debating these purchases for about 6 months. Couldn't decide if it was a good idea. I thought the bigger tires might give the Jeep a "stuffed stance" look in the wheel wells, but actually resulted in a lifted look with plenty of room for flex. I'm really starting to like the extra clearance. I gained 3" under under the tranny crossmember. Need to park this next to Bam Bam and see if I still look like a super-stock.

-New hood as well. I couldn't sleep at night knowing the old hood was warped down.
-Snorkel intake brackets
-Extra fancy gussets on the cage
-Bunch of boring little stuff

-Modified exhaust. Turned out I set the exhaust shop up for failure. When I made my marks where the pipe would exit the hood, I didn't take into account the hood overlaps the fender about 3". So the pipe ran across the fender right where the hood rests. It was either cut 12" out the hood, or swing the pipe further out.

Last picture of the 'sub fully assembled! All I have to do is mount my racing harnesses, then I can tear it all down. This week is lots of painting and a rear winch.

Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 5:30am
Curious - what's your major in college?
If your builds are an indication of commitment to your studies, companies will be lining up to hire you.  These builds are a heck of a resume....
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 2:15pm
The tires look good to me. How tall are they? They will probably loose an inch of diameter before you know it. My NDT's were almost 32" new. Now they are 31" diameter. I wish someone made a set of 33" NDTs. 900-16 are over 35" tall and very stiff. It has crossed my mind to use a set of ag tires like an 800-16. I think they would work very good in mud and dirt conditions but I think they might not perform as well on rock surfaces such as Moab where more rubber contact with smaller gaps between the edges seem to be the ticket.

What are the dimensions of your gas tank and where did you get the filler neck?

Looking good. Let me know if you need a canopy.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 2:53am
Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

Curious - what's your major in college?
If your builds are an indication of commitment to your studies, companies will be lining up to hire you. These builds are a heck of a resume....
Aww shucks... thank you. The 'sub is better than some builds, but I'm a total hack compared to others. Originally I was going to Purdue for engineering, and decided IU for business. I believe the business classes are going to best prepare me for my future endeavors. I don't plan on working for someone else! Wink

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

The tires look good to me. How tall are they?
What are the dimensions of your gas tank and where did you get the filler neck?
Looking good. Let me know if you need a canopy.

Went out to measure everything. The tires at 15 psi are 30.5" tall. I bet you're right on the ag tires, but lucky for me all we have around here is mud and more mud.

Gas tank is 12.5 x 23.5 x 7.5 which is 9.5 gallons. This was made by a local place, so I can't tell you what the filler neck was, but the gas cap is this.
And yes, a canopy would be cool! I'll see how the hater pipe situation goes before I decide plans.

Tore the Jeep apart today. Although I didn't get nearly enough painting done, I did a filler primer on the tub. Just a trail Jeep I said... a quick project I said.

Edited by Nick_ - 03 Jan. 2018 at 3:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>