Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Submarine Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 2:15am
Nick you are going to have one unique jeep.Again well done.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 2:28pm
Great work Nick, it was a pleasure to meet and wheel with you last fall.
Dennis
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 3:15am
Sorry guys I left you out to dry on week 3's progress: Backfired

That beautifully filler-primed tub on the previous page? Yeah, I forgot to add the hardening chemical. So I had to strip off that paint. Then I went into overhaul mode to ensure all the other parts would be painted in time. However.... I was faced with this:

The paint was just falling off the grille and hood. It was like a force field; paint pooling on the floor below it. I have no idea what happened, but everything was just fine the next day. 

By this point my free time was about gone. I decided to pack it up. If I painted some parts now and some during the summer, their shades would be different. Although I did spray the tintable bedliner. Color is not 100% exact of what the real paint will look like, but my buddy said it's the same desert sand as a newer Toyota truck.

Not the update we were all wishing for, but sometimes projects drive you insane.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 3:29am
Hang in there man!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 12:36am
Hey Nick,

What's the name of the company that made your fuel tank? Do they have a website?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Hey Nick,

What's the name of the company that made your fuel tank? Do they have a website?

I just had a local Amish place make it. Any local fab shop should have the capabilities to make a tank.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 4:53am
Back by popular request are The 'Sub progress pics.
Is it done yet? I wish.... just started working on it last week.

Finally the frame is finished. All the welding, fabricating etc is done. It's relieving. I knew Bam Bam was going to get stuck so I installed this hidden rear winch.

First I built a cradle for the winch to sit inside. Then, I raised it into the Jeep and welded in supports.

I actually had to remove the pintle reinforcement as it wouldn't clear the winch. However, it was fatigued and weak anyways. I know someone is going to hook their tow strap onto my pintle, get about 20' of slack, and tug away so it might as well be overkill.

At this point I should be considered a certified welder.
These gusset supports are offset to clear the differential at full flex. Ask me how I figured that out.

I have a couple things to install on the chassis before it's ready for paint. Then I'll work my way into the drivetrain where the slip yokes will be my final hurdle. I'm attempting to finish/paint each piece in order of assembly. 

Cheers to sinking this baby in August.

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 11:29am
Very cool. I'm digging the rear winch. Will you have to remove the body to install/remove the winch? or does that cradle drop out? 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 1:14pm
Nick,  Wow awesome work on this project.  Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Very cool. I'm digging the rear winch. Will you have to remove the body to install/remove the winch? or does that cradle drop out? 

And how do you access the clutch to free spool the winch?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 2:08pm
If I was smart I would have cut the tub for an access hole. You can twist the clutch with a pair of vise grips from under the body, but I have a wireless remote so no need.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 2:14am
The sub is knee-high by the 4th of July Party

Alot of progress in the past month. First I installed a NOS Spicer Powr-Lok with Herm's Dana 27 to 25 retro fit kit. This is a limited slip setup, which is ideal for manual steering. It was a learning process. Multiple bearings, shims, and about 30 disassembles later...

Then it hit me. I forgot some fab work. After reading through the Rubicon aftermath thread, I made some rock sliders but forgot all about U-bolt sliders. Basically I took some scrap steel and tacked them to the sides of the standard U-bolt plate. Then, I used a magnet to hold socks over the nuts. This way I ensured under the heat of the welds, my sides wouldn't cave in and lock against the nuts.

One engine is sitting at the rebuild shop, and I'm using this 2nd one as a guinea pig. Cheaper to blow up.

Finally got to play with my custom paint. I believe it's based on a 2016 Toyota pickup color but flattened. It's as close to Humvee CARC paint as I'll get without the whole cancer part. But first some primer:

I'm in love with this color. I installed the 1975ish Chevy K10 disc brake setup. CJ7 rotors. Originally I had a 3/8" spacer with (2) M38 rims dedicated for the front axle (M38's have a slight offset). I ended up going to a 1" spacer so it didn't matter what rims I had.

I bought Mile Marker hubs because the limited slip. In the event my front wheels are in a bind against rocks, I wanted to be able to unlock one side of the axle to help steering ability. Since I'm running a spacer they hardly stick out. Maybe an inch?

Knee-high baby!

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 3:05am
Amazing work Nick,nice colour.Thumbs Up

Gil
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 4:50am
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Since I'm running a spacer they hardly stick out. Maybe an inch?

About an inch is exactly how much mine stuck out.

And here’s what happened to that inch 😬

Your mileage may vary, however👍🏻

My Videos
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 4:57am
Rick,
You must be some sort of reckless driver, doing that kind of damage with just an inch. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 5:17am
Looking good! I just saw this on Facebook. I didnt know that was you! I love this project! 
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 5:26am
yep, that’s me, Stan. Hammer an obstacle until I make it or something breaks 🤪

My Videos
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

yep, that’s me, Stan. Hammer an obstacle until I make it or something breaks 🤪
Sometimes you gotta be a hero. And if that requires smashing the Jeep on its side, that's what you do. 

Tonight we launched over the last major hurdle of the project. Huge props to the machinist who helped me. Because the M151 Mutt had independent suspension, the driveshaft was stationary. Thus the transfercase only needed a slip yoke. On a solid axle Jeep like this, my driveshafts are constantly moving in/out and would rip the yokes off the tcase causing disaster. 

I dreaded spending a week to rip apart the tranny/tcase (all in one) to remove the output shafts. So we decided to rig this up on the mill with multiple clamps and a strap. The outter 3/16 of the shafts were hardened steel, so a carbide drill bit was needed.

After breaking through the hardened layer, we tapered the hole to help center the next tools. Since we were now at "soft" metal, the standard F drill bit could get the job done. Finally finished with a 5/16 tap about 1.5" down. And the process went smoothly. Whew.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>